New pop up ad

B

Bill

How do I stop this pop up? It doesn't need a broswer opened or anything else. I cleaned the machine with ad-aware and Norton anti vires. Latest verrsions of all. Last night I left the computor on and had about 40 pop up ads that I had to close. The ad directs me to www.popups.com and for $29.99 I can buy their product to stop them.

Here's a sample of their ad:

Congratulations, you've been hit by the newest form of unwanted advertising, or spam. This message was sent to your computer through a built in feature that Microsoft included in your copy of Windows 2000, NT, or XP. These types of spam messages are worse than unwanted e-mail since you don't even need to have an e-mail account or web browser. If you are one of the millions of people who get unwanted messages like these everyday, there is hope.

After doing a little research I found the only way to block these spam messages from ever appearing on my screen required doing extensive tweaking and configuring of my computer. It didn't seem right that I had to go through so many hoops just to stop these unwanted messages. I can see how it can be almost intimidating to some people. With Messenger Stopper, you can block these unwanted pop-up messages forever with the click of a button! No longer do you have sit and wait as your computer freezes or crashes due to one of these messages. Messenger Stopper will block each and every pop-up ad sent through Microsoft's Messenger Service.

D

David Leon

Goto Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Services, double-click on the 'Messenger' service from the list, click Stop and change its startup type to Manual or Disabled.
How do I stop this pop up? It doesn't need a broswer opened or anything else. I cleaned the machine with ad-aware and Norton anti vires. Latest verrsions of all. Last night I left the computor on and had about 40 pop up ads that I had to close. The ad directs me to www.popups.com and for $29.99 I can buy their product to stop them.

Here's a sample of their ad:

Congratulations, you've been hit by the newest form of unwanted advertising, or spam. This message was sent to your computer through a built in feature that Microsoft included in your copy of Windows 2000, NT, or XP. These types of spam messages are worse than unwanted e-mail since you don't even need to have an e-mail account or web browser. If you are one of the millions of people who get unwanted messages like these everyday, there is hope.

After doing a little research I found the only way to block these spam messages from ever appearing on my screen required doing extensive tweaking and configuring of my computer. It didn't seem right that I had to go through so many hoops just to stop these unwanted messages. I can see how it can be almost intimidating to some people. With Messenger Stopper, you can block these unwanted pop-up messages forever with the click of a button! No longer do you have sit and wait as your computer freezes or crashes due to one of these messages. Messenger Stopper will block each and every pop-up ad sent through Microsoft's Messenger Service.

K

kurttrail

Chris said:
Dont be fooled, but buy anthing

You can just enable XP's built in firewall to stop them. -
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/t...nol/winxppro/proddocs/hnw_enable_firewall.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329928

You have to be running SP1 for that to work.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.kurttrail.com
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei!"

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

.....not the best fix; this is merely a bandaid. The real problem is that
this computer has ports exposed to the Internet because there is no
firewall.

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

You need a firewall. 'Messenger spam', is not in itself harmful,
but is symptomatic of a larger problem - your computer has ports open from
the Internet.

You can disable the Messenger service, but that is unwise as a solution as
you'll still have the underlying problem that caused you to get the messages
in the first place - consider the messages a useful warning that you have no
protection from the Internet. You need a firewall. 'Messenger spam', is not
in itself harmful, but is symptomatic of a larger problem - your computer
has ports open from the Internet. This is important at all times, but
especially now that people have had a wakeup call due to the recent worm
activity.

For a standalone machine, see www.sygate.com for a free personal firewall,
or if using Windows XP, you can enable the built-in internet connection
firewall (ICF).

See http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm for more info.

Ask a Question