new pc problem, -12v

Reaction score
I just built a new system this morning using an athlon xp 2600+ and an Abit Kv7 motherboard
I powered up the system and went into the bis pc health section to check the temperatures. I noticedthe system temperature was rising by 1'C every 15 or so seconds. I proceeded into windows to check my Winbond Hardware Doctor readings, and two messages popped up, complete with an alarm from the system speaker. The two messages said that the system temperature and the -12v limits were exceeding past their limits

The system was 43'C and the -12v was somewhere around -6.17v. I have never encountered this problem before and am confused where i have gone wrong. My motherboard powers up still, and i can sense no permanent damage has been done. I then messed about with different combos with the 4 pin atx12v connector and saw that the motherboard still overheated, with this connector both out and in. i never went into windows to check winbond this time, as i got a bit worried.
can anyone help me on this?
cheers
Stu

btw the ower supply is fine, ive tested two different ones that work fine on other systems

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the BIOS alarm come on when you don't enter windows, and just stay in the BIOS for a long amount of time?

-6.12v seems way too low, and if that is true, most of your hardware items wouldn't work. It sounds like it may be a fault with the readings :)

Were you always getting warning signals, or only once you had installed the software to detect them?

Ask a Question