New hard Disk problem

Reaction score
I`ve just bought a new hard Disk and i`m having hassle installing it. Whenever its plugged in and powered up, I get "Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer. System failed" I don`t know why I`m getting it. The new disk is to be a slave, the jumpers on the back were removed and I`ve followed the normal formatting steps. Any help would be appreciated. If you have any ideas, please don`t assume I`ve checked it, coz I can be a dumb-ass when i try.... : :crazy:

Thanks a lot

Kenny

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello Kenny, welcome to PCR …

Some questions …

Who is the manufacturer of the drive?
How have you connected the drive? Which part of the ribbon cable is being used?
Are you using an 80 wire ribbon cable?
Which IDE are you using and is anything else on the same cable?

Reaction score
hey.

It`s a seagate drive. I went to site last nite an read everything i thought was relevant. It`s still not happening. My computer works fine when the drive isn`t installed.
The disk was connected to the middle connector on my IDE. My master drive is on the same cable. As far as I know, the cable is good and an 80 wire. From what I can tell, It`s the drive thats bad. :(

Hope this helps.
Kenny

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ok ... make sure your 'master drive' is actually set as master via the jumper and not set as 'cable select' ... some good info Here

Reaction score
Hey again. Yea I read that page: My old drive is the master. I downloaded the Seagate diagnostic software, and it confirmed the drive was faulty. Am sending it back for a replacement. Some ya win, some ya lose....

:)

*hopes the replacement doesnt go the same way*

Ask a Question