New Gaming PC for around £650

Reaction score
Right here's the problem, what i know about pc's you could wright on the back of a stamp!
I'm looking to buy a new pc but have no idea what to go for! I've just started doing photoshop work on my pc so graphics is a must and also i enjoy a bit of gaming.

So what i'm asking for help on is what ready made pc do i buy? I'm not going to build my own so thats not an option. I'm unsure of what "make" to buy and what other things i should be looking for it to have installed.
I've got a budget of about £650 for it aswell.

Any pointers to good places to buy from and help on what i'll need to get the pc i want would be really appreciated.

Cheers
nod.gif

Reaction score
What do you want to do with your "new pc"?
Play games, watch films or just surf the web & use an office package??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Something like this with a 22" monitor would come to about that price and do everything you want, but it would need an OS on top of that.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-153-OK&groupid=43&catid=1080&subcat=

Windows 7 is going to be coming out soon, and from what I understand there will be a free upgrade package for people who get Vista with a PC after 26th June (I presume from any large OEM). It might be worth delaying your purchase by a month or so to take advantage of this, as Windows 7 looks like it's going to be good :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Snipersunset said:
Is that a useful post?! Crap as in not worth bothering with?

Correct.

ECS make motherboards that are not very good.

Have a look on the Novatec site, they make good PC's and are a reputable company.

Here's a few to avoid:

Mesh
PC World
Dixons
Comet
Micro Direct
Currys

If I were buying tailor-made, I'd use Novatech or OCUK but I've always built my own.

Always insist on knowing the make and model of:

1) Motherboard
2) Power Supply
3) Memory
4) Video card

Some are more equal than others ;)

Reaction score
How about a dell XPS 430? i bought one a few weeks back, and it pretty gud. However some problems u might have with it are 1. It runs Vista? 2. No wireless card ? ( i think dell are now offering one?) Apart from that it runs great. I use photoshop sometimes and it runs pretty nicely on it so no worries there, and gaming wise the ATI card is very gud and runs things with ease. O another problem sometimes the graphics card heats up to about 70 to 80 degrees, so u might want to take control of it and tell it to keep the fan running at about 30%, keeps is down to 40. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just reading one of the earlier limks for OCUK and read "With the powerful Intel Core Duo E5200 overclocked to 3.20GHz and beyond"....is it common for shops to advertise this, given overclocking aint recommended by the manufacturer??!
Zzzzz

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi All,

I was just reading one of the earlier limks for OCUK and read "With the powerful Intel Core Duo E5200 overclocked to 3.20GHz and beyond"....is it common for shops to advertise this, given overclocking aint recommended by the manufacturer??!
Zzzzz

The answer to your question lies in the name of the company..Overclockers
nod.gif

Reaction score
I know that MadX but i asked was it common for shops to advertise dodgy carrying on is all....anyway it must be or i'm sure somebody would have shut them by now.....intel perhaps or maybe theyre just happy to be selling em LOL
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MadX is correct.

And no, it's not common practice to advertise overclocking as part of a new system.

OCUK are, we could say, somewhat cavalier in their approach to sales.

However, you can bet your bottom row of molars that their overclock will be an extremely safe and proved overclock, returns are a pain after all ;)

It sounds adventurous but truth be told anybody owning the equipment OCUK are selling could overclock it way beyond what they have.

But. Overclocking. I've been there, I've been keen.

To me, hasn't made not one iota of perfrmance unless you're crunching.

Only real time difference I noted was imcreased temps.

Oh, and a higher core speed.

But core speed isn't everything.

I've been down this path and imo it really isn't worth it, part from from being able to boast 'My Computer runs at 4Ghz'

And if you get off on that, then hey, you have my best wishes - go for it :)

Those of us who know however.....

Reaction score
Who is this however geezer and is he an alien LOL...well i watched the new Star Trek and i enjoyed it very much, however the aliens were a bit of a letdown. Good film though if your a SCi-fier.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Snipersunset said:
So what does anyone else think of the Dell? Anymore ideas anyone? ;)

From what i hear around i think that maybe Dell is one of the best off the shelf pc's reliabilitywise but i hear they are quite expensive compared to others. I'm sure some of the other guys can point you int right direction...
Zzzzz

Ask a Question