Networking Problems

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok so i've finally got my router (Netgear DG834GT) and i cant get my desktop to connect using it, i've managed to configure the router using my iBook and i can connect to the net using the laptop while its plugged into the router with an ethernet cable and wirelessly

i plug the desktop into the router using an ethernet cable and it detects that but i cant configure it to use the ethernet connection to connect to the internet

anyone got any ideas ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to 'configure' the NIC

What does the Netgear "smart wizard" say?

what is the NIC in the PC?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i didn't explain myself properly, the NIC is working fine, it detects the router perfectly but i cant get explorer, IE or firefox to acces the router config, everytime i try it says the connection cannot be made

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah right, too smart for its own good aye.

ok this is an ADSL "Universal Plug and Play" and you may find if you double-click "my network places" an icon to play with ... my BT has this as well as being able to use a browser, I found the icon by trying to setup a laptop wirelessly. ;)

What are you supposed to use in the browser address?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
there is nothing under my network places, i type in the IP 192.168.0.1 in the address bar which is supposed to take me to the configuration screen but i always get 'this page cannot be displayed.....'

i have deleted all of my ADSL connections so its not that stopping it and u have disabled all firewalls

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i have no idea what the hell just happened but its working :D
it was supposed to do that in the first place ... must have a memory problem like me. :p

:thumb:

Ask a Question