Windows XP networking - How to share printer - please help...!!!

Reaction score
networking - How to share printer - please help...!!!

Respected Tech Gurus,

Please help me with following:

There are two computers A and B (say).(They are in two adjacent rooms)

A has windows advanced server 2000 OS.
B has windows XP professional OS.

HP laserjet 3015 is connected to computer B.

Now I want to take printouts on Hp laser jet printer from Computer A also at times.

I understand that this requires networking.

However, I am NOT a very computer savvy person and therefore need help.

I have purchased CAT 5 cross over cable and Compex 8 port switch.

Also computer A has two NICs - one onboard Intel 865 and another extra Dlink.

Also computer B has one NIC.

Now please say me someone step by step how do i network the two computers so that I can:

1. share files
2. share printer
3. share internet connection

Please explain me step by step assuming that I have to do networking of my own and I have never done it before but ready to do it now.

please guide.

Thanks and best regards

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

p.s.

Please note that somebody installed windows 2000 advanced server for me and i am a simple user...i do not understand very well user management etc...please guide accordingly...thank u

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First, set up the network using the Network Wizard and crossover cable, using just one of the NICs on Computer A, obviously.

Go to 'My Computer' on each machine, right click drive and folder icons you wish to share and enable sharing.

Make sure each computer sees each other by using 'My Network Places'.

On computer B, go to Start >> Printers & faxes >> rightclick on the printer icon and enable sharing.

From computer A, print a test page.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hey Flops

I might try this cos I want to network my PC and lappy and share the printer.

One further question - is there anything that could go wrong when executing your instructions - what I mean is perchance I get something wrong is it terminal or can it be reversed???

Love

Gabs xx

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gabs:

In my experience it's quite a safe thing to do.

I haven't ever heard of anybody hosing their system setting up a network.

Remember though, if it's just two computers you're networking without a hub, to use a crossover cable, sometimes also known as a 'mirror' cable.

Reaction score
Flops ... my sister has a wireless connecter and i have a wireless router ... can i make a network up through my wireless router, and share a printer? The printer would be in mine and she will need to print homework and that off... possible ?!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Right.....

I was 'told' by someone that usually knows what they are talking about to use my memory stick to transfer files across from one to the other.

I don't know whether there's a hub or not. Goodness, I sound completely hopeless here!!!!

I might just leave this till someone comes round to the house who knows what they are doing cos if I mess up, I will be upset!!

Gabs xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Poor Flops

Being bombarded by networking questions!!

You could have a tutorial going by the end of the day!!!

Gabs xx

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Flops ... my sister has a wireless connecter and i have a wireless router ... can i make a network up through my wireless router, and share a printer? The printer would be in mine and she will need to print homework and that off... possible ?!

I don't see why not.

Run the network wizard and once the two machines are seeing each other you will be able to use the printer for both, providing you've enabled the printer to share.

Gabs:

Forget I mentioned the hub, I'm just confusing things for you ;)

You can set up a network between two machines with just a crossover cable, no hub required.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Poor Flops

Being bombarded by networking questions!!

You could have a tutorial going by the end of the day!!!

Gabs xx

And I don't even know that much about it, lol ;)

But I do have a network of 4 here sharing two printers, laser mono & inkjet colour, so I just passing on the little I've learnt :)

Using a four port Linsky's router and external Ethernet ADSL Modem.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Right.....

I was 'told' by someone that usually knows what they are talking about to use my memory stick to transfer files across from one to the other.

Ah, overlooked this earlier.

Yes, using a memory stick will do the trick for you, quite easy and painless.

Only advantage with being networked is that a crossover cable is cheaper than a memory stick.

I'm assuming the two machines wouldn't be in close proximity to each other on a permanent basis?

If so, when you wish to share printer, you'll have to connect network (ethernet crossover) cable to laptop.

Which is probably less bother than using a usb stick (plug in/ transfer files/ unplug/plug in other machine/open files/print).

Plus if you were networked you'd also have the ability to painlessly transfer and share files and data between the two machines.

Reaction score
Its not good to share any file on a PC that connects to the Internet.
Ya might want to work at blocking Explorer on your firewall to the Internet and not blocking your net PCs cause yll be sharing with the world.
Thats an easy way to get hacked so be careful of what your doing.
I use a USB drive myself because its safer not to share.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Here is a good "how to" on File sharing in XP ...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

I have said this before, so I'll repeat myself ... if you want to make your life easy ... :p

USE A HUB if you want to be safe ... GET A NAT ROUTER they don't cost that much.

I'm not saying you cannot use a simple crossover cable but using a Router will give you 'built-in-protection' from the outside.

Using 'simple file sharing' can leave your 'network' wide open to intrusion and you won't even know they are in there. :rolleyes:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi Mucks

Are you basically saying 'don't do it'. I just want to be able to access my files on PC and lappy. My wireless network has got security on it - password protected. It's a faff having to move from one PC to the lappy or use the memory stick.

Gabs xx

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Hi Mucks

Are you basically saying 'don't do it'. I just want to be able to access my files on PC and lappy. My wireless network has got security on it - password protected. It's a faff having to move from one PC to the lappy or use the memory stick.

Gabs xx

Just so you know, there is no such thing as security on a wireless network at present.
While you can stop access by using defined mac addresses, your data is available to anyone monitoring your network. Encryption takes under 2 minutes to break, and the tools are readily available to anyone, they are even on the Knoppix STD live cd, which is used for system network diags. Once the encryption is broken, they can see any information transferred over your network, user id's, passwords, etc.
In a populated area where you cannot protect your network with distance, wireless is not
worth the extra expense of the gear or the time it will save in installing it.
Wiring my whole house actually took less time than some people spend getting their wireless setups working.
A simple nat router to the internet, and the 2 pc's cabled behind it are fine, open shares are not visible to anyone on the wan(internet) side of the router.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Didnt want to scare ya. Just be carefullll...

If ya use a net hub do a few online security test using your networked computers browsers at PCflank, Lockdown corp. ect. Ya should see your server firewall geting active during the test. If ya pass everything your probably ok.

Just remember if ya get a trojan on on any networked PC the hacker can go anywhere and ya will have to do more work to keep it clean.
Surf steathed.
Spyware on one PC might slow your connection a little but, a little on a lot of net PCs can turn it into a snail race.
The more you network the more you will cleaning windows. Thats half the reason why IT techs have jobs.
Ya might want to put some anti-trojan and antiviruis on each PC.
Keep the hub easy to reach unplugin the cable from your server is easy safe thing to do.

Reaction score
sunandoghosh!
You cannot use a cross over cable while usinfg a switch.for the rest it's simple, but i need to know how you connect to the internet? (Modem, lan, PPPoE,etc....)

Than you'll get my reply step by step.(The simplest way)

Last edited:

Ask a Question