Network printing

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Metspitzer, Mar 10, 2012.

  1. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    Metspitzer, Mar 10, 2012

  2. Metspitzer

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Metspitzer <> wrote in
    news::

    > I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.
    > It looks like this one is all Newegg has.
    > Good? Bad?
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833996123
    >
    > Since this has two USB ports, could this allow a USB hard drive to be
    > used as a network drive?
    >
    > I was also looking at one of these:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136746
    > It doesn't look like it has a USB port. That would make it network
    > only. I wonder why they would not also include USB?

    Because a small pci usb card would be trivial to add??

    Sjouke Burry, Mar 10, 2012

  3. Metspitzer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Metspitzer wrote:

    > I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.

    Wireless or wired? You didn't say what type of networking.

    Why go to the expense of adding more hardware? Why not just share the
    printer on the host to which it is currently attached? Or do you not
    like having to spend the money on electricity to keep that computer
    powered up and instead want to spend lesser money on electricity to
    power the wireless device server? How many years before the savings in
    electricity from the less power hungry network device server overcomes
    the cost to buy that network device server?

    > It looks like this one is all Newegg has.
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833996123

    Some others listed in this search:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=100010072&isNodeId=1&Description=usb+server

    > Since this has two USB ports, could this allow a USB hard drive to be
    > used as a network drive?

    There is a link to the manufacturer's product page on that Newegg page,
    which is:

    http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-3000gb.html

    Read the 3rd bullet.
    Click on the Features tab and look at the diagram.

    > I was also looking at one of these:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136746
    > It doesn't look like it has a USB port. That would make it network
    > only. I wonder why they would not also include USB?

    Um, because its product title is "Western Digital My Book Live 2TB
    Personal Cloud Storage". *Storage* (wireless NAS), not a wireless AP
    (access point) or general-purpose wireless device server.

    VanguardLH, Mar 10, 2012
  4. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    On 10 Mar 2012 20:01:34 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

    >Metspitzer <> wrote in
    >
    >> I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.
    >> It looks like this one is all Newegg has.
    >> Good? Bad?
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833996123
    >>
    >> Since this has two USB ports, could this allow a USB hard drive to be
    >> used as a network drive?
    >>
    >> I was also looking at one of these:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136746
    >> It doesn't look like it has a USB port. That would make it network
    >> only. I wonder why they would not also include USB?
    >>

    >Because a small pci usb card would be trivial to add??

    The main thing is that I want to move the PC I have in my bedroom to
    another location. I would like the printer to stay. The DSL line is
    a deticated line to that spot and that where the UPS is.

    That computer runs 24/7 but I don't want to do that anymore. I would
    like to have a network hard drive without having to run that PC 24/7
    any more.

    Not quite as trivial, huh?

    Metspitzer, Mar 11, 2012
  5. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:45:13 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Metspitzer wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.

    >Wireless or wired? You didn't say what type of networking.

    I wish I had bought a wireless printer, but the printer is right
    beside the router, so a wired one will do.
    I have a 3/4 basement so I have very easy access to wire a network
    connection anywhere, but wireless is more convenient.

    >Why go to the expense of adding more hardware? Why not just share the

    You can never be too healthy or have too much hardware <grin>

    Metspitzer, Mar 11, 2012
  6. Metspitzer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Metspitzer wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >>Metspitzer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.

    >>Wireless or wired? You didn't say what type of networking.
    >>

    > I wish I had bought a wireless printer, but the printer is right
    > beside the router, so a wired one will do.
    > I have a 3/4 basement so I have very easy access to wire a network
    > connection anywhere, but wireless is more convenient.

    I was actually what the *rest* of the network was like, not the printer.
    If the printer is right next to the router, I'd keep it wired. Wireless
    incurs both reduction in security along with reduction in speed. 54
    Mbps for wireless is still a lot less than 480 Mbps. While wireless is
    probably fast enough for a normal print job, you asked about attaching
    multiple devices to the network device server, like hard disks. One you
    start using one, you might end up adding more devices to that server.

    >>Why go to the expense of adding more hardware? Why not just share the

    > You can never be too healthy or have too much hardware <grin>

    Wrong. Being healthy means eliminating the bad stuff. Adding more
    hardware *reduces* reliability. If you've had to maintain a computer
    room, the more hard disk assemblies, the shorter the MTBF. For RAID,
    the more disks you add to a RAID then the *shorter* the time before
    failure. The more fans you put into a case the sooner one of them will
    fail. MTBF goes down with increased hardware.

    VanguardLH, Mar 11, 2012
  7. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:25:24 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Metspitzer wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>>Wireless or wired? You didn't say what type of networking.
    >>>

    >> I wish I had bought a wireless printer, but the printer is right
    >> beside the router, so a wired one will do.
    >> I have a 3/4 basement so I have very easy access to wire a network
    >> connection anywhere, but wireless is more convenient.

    >I was actually what the *rest* of the network was like, not the printer.
    >If the printer is right next to the router, I'd keep it wired. Wireless
    >incurs both reduction in security along with reduction in speed. 54
    >Mbps for wireless is still a lot less than 480 Mbps. While wireless is
    >probably fast enough for a normal print job, you asked about attaching
    >multiple devices to the network device server, like hard disks. One you
    >start using one, you might end up adding more devices to that server.
    >
    >>>Why go to the expense of adding more hardware? Why not just share the

    >> You can never be too healthy or have too much hardware <grin>

    >Wrong. Being healthy means eliminating the bad stuff. Adding more
    >hardware *reduces* reliability. If you've had to maintain a computer
    >room, the more hard disk assemblies, the shorter the MTBF. For RAID,
    >the more disks you add to a RAID then the *shorter* the time before
    >failure. The more fans you put into a case the sooner one of them will
    >fail. MTBF goes down with increased hardware.

    As it is now, the computer that was being used as the printer server
    is down. I was thinking that if it were a stand alone network printer
    that would be less problems. Seeing the extra USB port made me think
    that would be perfect for a portable hard drive to eliminate keeping a
    PC on all the time.

    Thanks for your suggestons.

    Metspitzer, Mar 11, 2012
  8. Metspitzer

    Metspitzer Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 16:36:08 -0600, Grinder <>
    wrote:

    >On 3/10/2012 1:34 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
    >> I would like to convert my USB printer to a network printer.
    >> It looks like this one is all Newegg has.
    >> Good? Bad?
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833996123

    >Hmm, it looks like there's more than that:
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=100007830 600014444&IsNodeId=1&name=USB 2.0
    >
    >Here are the ones *without* wireless connectivity:
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7830 600014444 600014426&IsNodeId=1&name=RJ45
    >

    >> Since this has two USB ports, could this allow a USB hard drive to be
    >> used as a network drive?

    >That's certainly what they claim:
    >http://www.silexamerica.com/products/data_sheets/sx-3000gb_datasheet.pdf
    >
    >I've had pretty mixed success with those types of devices. I guess it
    >might be that if a device is not designed to be networked, then tricking
    >into that multiuser scenario has its limitations.
    >
    >Monoprice has a few network print servers as well:
    >http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052103
    >
    >You might be better of just picking up an inexpensive networked
    >printer--they're all over the place.
    >

    >> I was also looking at one of these:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136746
    >> It doesn't look like it has a USB port. That would make it network
    >> only. I wonder why they would not also include USB?

    >I supposed it wouldn't have cost much more to have the USB port, but if
    >I had the choice between NAS and local USB, I would defintely go for NAS.

    I will keep that in mind.

    Thanks

    Metspitzer, Mar 11, 2012
  9. Metspitzer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Metspitzer wrote:

    > On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:25:24 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Metspitzer wrote:

    >>> I wish I had bought a wireless printer, but the printer is right
    >>> beside the router, so a wired one will do.
    >>> I have a 3/4 basement so I have very easy access to wire a network
    >>> connection anywhere, but wireless is more convenient.

    >>I was actually what the *rest* of the network was like, not the printer.
    >>If the printer is right next to the router, I'd keep it wired. Wireless
    >>incurs both reduction in security along with reduction in speed. 54
    >>Mbps for wireless is still a lot less than 480 Mbps. While wireless is
    >>probably fast enough for a normal print job, you asked about attaching
    >>multiple devices to the network device server, like hard disks. One you
    >>start using one, you might end up adding more devices to that server.

    >>> You can never be too healthy or have too much hardware <grin>

    >>Wrong. Being healthy means eliminating the bad stuff. Adding more
    >>hardware *reduces* reliability. If you've had to maintain a computer
    >>room, the more hard disk assemblies, the shorter the MTBF. For RAID,
    >>the more disks you add to a RAID then the *shorter* the time before
    >>failure. The more fans you put into a case the sooner one of them will
    >>fail. MTBF goes down with increased hardware.

    > As it is now, the computer that was being used as the printer server
    > is down. I was thinking that if it were a stand alone network printer
    > that would be less problems. Seeing the extra USB port made me think
    > that would be perfect for a portable hard drive to eliminate keeping a
    > PC on all the time.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestons.

    You can get an Ethernet printer server hub for about a third the price
    of the device server you mentioned. Of course, you can only connect a
    printer to that and you mentioned wanted to include a NAS device (but
    you listed a wireless one to be used separately).

    VanguardLH, Mar 11, 2012