Network Drives and Outlook Inbox become unavailable at home

Reaction score
Hello

One of my clients upgraded from Windows XP to 7 last week. Since the upgrade, he has not been able to connect to his network drives and Outlook Inbox at home using VPN.

I guess one thing you can do is to select 'make available offline' in the submenu that pops up when right-cliking an icon. But doing so does not show any files being made available offline.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion to solve this prob.

Thank you,

Ead

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Network drives will only be available if you are connected to the network. I assume the VPN is to allow this. Once connected to the VPN, do the drives allow access? Unless the VPN is connected when the user logs into the machine, the network drives will not be available until you make them available. Since the user connects to the VPN after log in, this is normal behavior. If you wish to change this process, you would have to modify your GPO settings to force the unit to start the VPN connection upon Windows start. That could be tricky because verifying internet connection before log on is difficult unless you view your managed equipment.

In order to make available offline, you have to do that while connected. Else there will be no "data" to have offline. Think "offline websites." How do you view an offline website if you never connect to the resource to download the information in the first place?

Is it an issue where the VPN doesn't work and therefore the network drives are unavailable? If not, you have to modify the behavior as described above.

Ask a Question