trolleyclang

I am trying to figure out how to access a computer with Win 98 from my Win
XP computer. Both computers are plugged into a D-Link router that is
attached to a DSL modem. Both computers have been able to access the DSL
without a problem. I thought I had shared files and printers on both
computers, but I am not seeing the other computer regardless of which
computer I use. Are there some specific settings that I should be checking
for? I read something about TCP/IP, but I didn't really get what it was
saying. I did check and the Win 98 and Win XP have the same workgroup name.
Is there somewhere to go or can someone tell me step by step starting at the
beginning how you get a Win 98 and Win XP to share files and printers? I
would greatly appreciate it.
DC

H

Hans-Georg Michna

trolleyclang said:
I am trying to figure out how to access a computer with Win 98 from my Win
XP computer. Both computers are plugged into a D-Link router that is
attached to a DSL modem. Both computers have been able to access the DSL
without a problem. I thought I had shared files and printers on both
computers, but I am not seeing the other computer regardless of which
computer I use. Are there some specific settings that I should be checking
for? I read something about TCP/IP, but I didn't really get what it was
saying. I did check and the Win 98 and Win XP have the same workgroup name.
Is there somewhere to go or can someone tell me step by step starting at the
beginning how you get a Win 98 and Win XP to share files and printers? I
would greatly appreciate it.

DC,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

G

Hi. This the configuration on your Windows 98 machine. If you follow the directions exactly, you will be good to go. The Wimdows XP machine is easy. After you complet the instructions for the Win 98, run the network wizard on the XP machine. It is very intuitive. I have had users follow these instructions without any PC experience to speak of, and it worked!
Networking a Win98 PC to another Win98 PC or XP in this case.

1. Double click the Network icon in the control panel.

2. Make sure the following components are installed in the Configuration tab.
Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial Up Adapter
Intel Pro/100+Mini PCI
TCP/IP > Dial Up Adapter
TCP/IP > Intel Pro/100+Mini PCI
Generically you should have:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Dial Up Adapter
LinksysLNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
TCP/IP > Dial Up Adapter
TCP/IP > LinksysLNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter

3. If any of these components are not installed, select the Add button in the Coniguration tab. You might need the Win98 CD to do this or go to the Win98 directory Installed on the root drive.
For Client for Microsoft Networks, click the Add button. Highlight Client and click Add. Choose Microsoft as the manufacturer. Highlight Client for Microsoft Networks and click OK. If it asks you to reboot do so.
For TCP/IP, Click the Add button in the Configuration tab window, select Protocol, then click add. Under Manufacturer, highlight Microsoft. Under Network Protocol, highlight TCP/IP. Click OK. If asked to reboot, do it.
For TCP/IP Dial Up Adapter (Don't confuse this with Dial Up Adapter on that list of five components above, you want the one that says "TCP/IP" > Dial Up Adapter). Again if TCP/IP Dial Up Adapter is not installed, highlight "Intel Pro/100+Mini PCI" and click the add button. Highlight Protocol and click the add button. Select Microsoft from the Manufacturers list and TCP/IP from the Network Protocols and click OK.

4. Now that the components and Protocols are installed and you have a list that looks like the five above (you may have a couple of extra for Infrared Protocol) continue to the next step.

5.Click the File and Print Sharing button. The File and Print Sharing Window appears. If you want to share files and printer put a check mark in the boxes. Even if you don't have a printer hooked up put a check mark there anyway. Click the OK button. File and Printer Sharing should now appear in the list of installed components, listed above.

6. After all of the network components are installed; in the Primary Network Logon box select Client for Microsoft Networks. Click on the Identification tab. Type a name for the computer in the Computer name box. Make it unique. In the Workgroup box use the name that all of your PCs will be using. All computers have to have the same Workgroup name, but, unique Computer names. Do not click the Ok button yet! You can leave the Description Box blank or add one.

7. Choose the Access Control tab. Make sure Share Level access control is selected. Click OK and your computer will ask to restart and may even as for the window98 CD (yours is in the win98 folder on the c: drive).

8. A logon window will appear requiring User Name and Password if you don't have one already. Enter it and click the OK button. Don't bypass this step! You must enter a user name and password.

9. Once you have completed all of the steps you can click on Network Neighborhood on your desktop and see the names of other computers on your network. Sometime it takes awhile for them to appear. You can go to Start > Run > and type the following to find a computer on the network. \\<name of computer> (No spaces after the backslashes)

T

trolleyclang

Using Start-Run-\\name of computer I was able to access the files on the Win
XP computer from the Win 98, but I cannot go the other way and view the
Win98 from the XP computer.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

G

Go to the xp and create a user account with the same name and password as what you now log on to the win 98 PC. Do that by right clicking My computer on the xp mchine then, manage, and doulble click users on the right side and create new user account.

Ask a Question