Need to change physical location of Externally Linked Tables - Possible to fake out network server l

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access' started by Tagman, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. Tagman

    Tagman Guest

    I have inherited a database application that contains references to 130 externally linked tables.
    In addition, there are several internal modules that import data from an excel file in the same location as the external tables.

    Everything re3ferencing the external location appears to be hard coded in the configuration, such as the following table link:
    \\server01\d\control\XYZ\table9.mdb

    I need to take the server off line and consolidate everything onto a single computer.

    I could edit the table locations for the 130 externally linked tables and edit the modules that import the data from the excel file, and hope that I have not missed any other areas of the switchboard that call for data at the external location.

    INSTEAD - I'm wondering if there is a way that I can fake out the system so that when it attempts to access the data on server01 - it instead looks in a folder or on a drive on the local machine - instead of trying to connect to an other box on the local network.

    REMAP? C:\My Documents\Access Data\Control\Tables\table9.mdb = \\server01\d\control\xyz\table.mdb

    VIRTUAL SERVER?

    OTHER MEANS?

    This would be better than having to change the hard coding - in case it needs to be relocated again in the future - it would be much easier to reconfigure.

    Appreciate any thoughts - especially if someone has already experience this situation.

    Tagman, Apr 5, 2008

  2. On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 21:19:59 -0400, "Tagman" <>
    wrote:

    I haven't, but I would think a crafty DNS entry would do the trick.
    -Tom.

    <clip>

    Tom van Stiphout, Apr 5, 2008

  3. Tagman

    Guest

    Re: Need to change physical location of Externally Linked Tables -Possible to fake out network server location?

    this is why you should just move to SQL Server.

    Access linked tables add another layer of complexity- on top of the
    other 5 layers that Access adds-- it just isn't worth the effort.

    -Aaron

    On Apr 4, 6:19 pm, "Tagman" <> wrote:
    > I have inherited a database application that contains references to 130 externally linked tables.
    > In addition, there are several internal modules that import data from an excel file in the same location as the external tables.
    >
    > Everything re3ferencing the external location appears to be hard coded in the configuration, such as the following table link:
    >  \\server01\d\control\XYZ\table9.mdb
    >
    > I need to take the server off line and consolidate everything onto a single computer.
    >
    > I could edit the table locations for the 130 externally linked tables and edit the modules that import the data from the excel file, and hope that I have not missed any other areas of the switchboard that call for data at the external location.
    >
    > INSTEAD - I'm wondering if there is a way that I can fake out the system so that when it attempts to access the data on server01 - it instead looks ina folder or on a drive on the local machine - instead of trying to connect to an other box on the local network.
    >
    > REMAP?   C:\My Documents\Access Data\Control\Tables\table9.mdb = \\server01\d\control\xyz\table.mdb
    >
    > VIRTUAL SERVER?
    >
    > OTHER MEANS?
    >
    > This would be better than having to change the hard coding - in case it needs to be relocated again in the future - it would be much easier to reconfigure.
    >
    > Appreciate any thoughts - especially if someone has already experience this situation.

    , Apr 6, 2008