Need help - SECDRV service seems to be causing problems with XP Pro SP2

D

Don Burnette

I am having a small issue with XP Pro SP2.
I have done some research, and below is the results of my research. What started this, is after installing SP2, I could no longer run IL2 Forgotten Battles w/ Ace Expansion Pack flight sim. I get the following error message upon trying to launch the .exe for this sim.
" The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application" The title of the error is " il2fb.exe-application error".

I am determined to get this one figured out. So far, it is the only program I am having an issue with , but I think it is more related to an issue in my XP Pro SP2 install based on what I have found so far. Otherwise, SP2 is running great.

First off, I think something was a little amiss prior to installing SP2. The reason I say this, is that I could not install the above program under my regular user name. I am set up with administrative rights, and shows me as administrator in users category in control panel. The only way I could install the above program, was by logging on under the default administrator account, then it would install. However, prior to SP2, I could run the program while logged in under my regular user name with no problem.

After the SP2 install, I started getting the above il2fb.exe error message. Even if I try to run it while logged on under the default administrator account, I get the same message.

Upon researching, it appears the issue is being caused by the secdrv service being stopped, and appears to be somehow related to my not having administrator priveleges ( even though it shows I do).

Below is what I have found, and have hit a wall at this point:

Here is what shows up in the event log after trying to launch il2fb.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" SECDRV service could not be started"

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.
If these solutions do not work, contact Product Support Services.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have mentioned, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, still no go, and still have to install it under the default administrator account.

I ran an sc query on the above service, and it reported the following:

Service_Name: secdrv
TYPE :1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : STOPPED
< NOT_STOPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>
WIN32_EXIT_CODE :5<0x5>
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE :0<0X0>
CHECKPOINT :0x0
WAIT_HINT :0x0

I have looked under services in adminstrative under control panel, and do not see the secdrv service even listed.

So, that is where I am at. I have a feeling that somehow in my XP Pro installation, my something is amiss with my user name, because it definitely is set up as administrator, and has for many months. This issue only started in the last couple of weeks it would seem.

Other than the above, my XP Pro SP2 install appears to be running great.

I am bound and determined to get to the root cause and figure out why this happened, and to correct it.
I would very much appreciate any help from you fine folks that know much more than me about this sort of thing,

Thanks,

D

Don Burnette

I finally got this issue resolved!!
I thought I would post what had happened to cause this in case anyone else runs into an issue with the secdrv service failing to start.
It would appear this service has something to do wtih "safedisc", and it installs this service when a program is installed from a cd containing safedisc copy protection.

After much searching on the internet, I finally found where the file is actually secdrv.sys, and resides in the windows/system32/drivers folder. Upon finding it there, I discovered it was encrypted!
I have some encrypted files elsewhere, but none here - except for this one file - secdrv.sys. I am thinking, ok, so what is wrong with this picture? So, I remove the encryption, and now the games work just fine!!!
I was really pulling my hair out on this one.

This appeared to have occurred after installing SP2. I do not know if somehow that was involved in this file getting encrypted or what , pretty strange. Out of all the files in the drivers folder, only this one was encrypted. I certainly would not have gone in there and encrypted it.

So, I don't really know the cause - But, if anyone else runs across this error message when trying to launch a program, you might want to check and see if you have that file, and make sure it is not ecrypted.

--
Don Burnette

I am having a small issue with XP Pro SP2.
I have done some research, and below is the results of my research. What started this, is after installing SP2, I could no longer run IL2 Forgotten Battles w/ Ace Expansion Pack flight sim. I get the following error message upon trying to launch the .exe for this sim.
" The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application" The title of the error is " il2fb.exe-application error".

I am determined to get this one figured out. So far, it is the only program I am having an issue with , but I think it is more related to an issue in my XP Pro SP2 install based on what I have found so far. Otherwise, SP2 is running great.

First off, I think something was a little amiss prior to installing SP2. The reason I say this, is that I could not install the above program under my regular user name. I am set up with administrative rights, and shows me as administrator in users category in control panel. The only way I could install the above program, was by logging on under the default administrator account, then it would install. However, prior to SP2, I could run the program while logged in under my regular user name with no problem.

After the SP2 install, I started getting the above il2fb.exe error message. Even if I try to run it while logged on under the default administrator account, I get the same message.

Upon researching, it appears the issue is being caused by the secdrv service being stopped, and appears to be somehow related to my not having administrator priveleges ( even though it shows I do).

Below is what I have found, and have hit a wall at this point:

Here is what shows up in the event log after trying to launch il2fb.exe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" SECDRV service could not be started"

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation

User Action
To correct this problem:

Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: status_log_hard_error
Message: Unable to Load Device Driver : device driver could not be loaded.

Explanation

User Action
To correct this problem:

As I have mentioned, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, still no go, and still have to install it under the default administrator account.

I ran an sc query on the above service, and it reported the following:

Service_Name: secdrv
TYPE :1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : STOPPED
< NOT_STOPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>
WIN32_EXIT_CODE :5<0x5>
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE :0<0X0>
CHECKPOINT :0x0
WAIT_HINT :0x0

I have looked under services in adminstrative under control panel, and do not see the secdrv service even listed.

So, that is where I am at. I have a feeling that somehow in my XP Pro installation, my something is amiss with my user name, because it definitely is set up as administrator, and has for many months. This issue only started in the last couple of weeks it would seem.

Other than the above, my XP Pro SP2 install appears to be running great.

I am bound and determined to get to the root cause and figure out why this happened, and to correct it.
I would very much appreciate any help from you fine folks that know much more than me about this sort of thing,

Thanks,

Ask a Question