Need freeware to print lists of directories and files from a hard drive

Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I need freeware to view and print lists of directories and files inside
directories. I looked in Pricelessware 2006 but could not find
anything.

Know of any?

Thanks!

Gerard Bok

Hi Everyone,

I need freeware to view and print lists of directories and files inside
directories. I looked in Pricelessware 2006 but could not find
anything.

Know of any?

Sure. There is a realy free one. From a command-line:
DIR /s >prn:
But that's probably not something you like :)

LS File lister at http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/
for a realy great List generator.

CSV edit from
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm to modify
your list, any way you want :)

Peter Seiler

Anonymous - 19.01.2006 15:31 :

Hi Everyone,

I need freeware to view and print lists of directories and files inside
directories. I looked in Pricelessware 2006 but could not find
anything.

Know of any?

I use very satisfied with "directory lister"

http://freeware.prv.pl

don't know at the moment if freeware or not.

Susan Bugher

Peter said:
I use very satisfied with "directory lister"
don't know at the moment if freeware or not.

it's now free only for personal use:

Program: Directory Lister
Author: KRKsoft (Leszek Skorczynski)
Install: (n.r.)
Ware: (Freeware) (free for personal use)
http://www.krksoft.com/registration.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Hood

Gerard said:
Sure. There is a realy free one. From a command-line:
DIR /s >prn:
But that's probably not something you like :)

LS File lister at http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/
for a realy great List generator.

CSV edit from
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm to modify
your list, any way you want :)

Copy these two lines into any text editor

---Begin---
dir /ad /b /on /s>C:\dirlist.txt
Start Notepad.exe C:\dirlist.txt
---End--

Save the file as Dirlist.bat
Don't want sub folders? Remove the "/s"
Want them in date order instead of alphabetical? Change "/on" to "/od"
Copy this BAT file into whatever directory you want a printout of, and
run it.
Voila! Notepad opens with a printable list of the files and sub folders
in a given directory.

John Hood
Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
"The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
fluff."
"No kidding."

Lou

John said:
Copy these two lines into any text editor

---Begin---
dir /ad /b /on /s>C:\dirlist.txt
Start Notepad.exe C:\dirlist.txt
---End--

Save the file as Dirlist.bat
Don't want sub folders? Remove the "/s"
Want them in date order instead of alphabetical? Change "/on" to "/od"
Copy this BAT file into whatever directory you want a printout of, and
run it.
Voila! Notepad opens with a printable list of the files and sub folders
in a given directory.

John Hood
Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
"The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
fluff."
"No kidding."

NOTE dir /? will give complete info

Lou

gswiebeREMOVE_THIS

Copy these two lines into any text editor

---Begin---
dir /ad /b /on /s>C:\dirlist.txt
Start Notepad.exe C:\dirlist.txt
---End--

Save the file as Dirlist.bat
Don't want sub folders? Remove the "/s"
Want them in date order instead of alphabetical? Change "/on" to "/od"
Copy this BAT file into whatever directory you want a printout of, and
run it.
Voila! Notepad opens with a printable list of the files and sub folders
in a given directory.

John Hood
Web Site www.jhoodsoft.org
"The best home and business free software, no ads, no time limits, no
fluff."
"No kidding."

Karen's Directory Printer does it for me.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/

Glenn

Lord Possum

======== Hope I am discerning the correct poster =====

Gerald ... you might have further explained to most users of Win XP (the
subject of this usegroup) that a "command line" means from a DOS shell-
out box, rather than the RUN command-line. And .. unless the user also
has a DOS-function printer running on a parallel cable, he ain't going
to get his printer to dance. Most people probably have USB printers
today, and they are nearly always Windows specific.

An answer for most Win XP users (in a DOS shell-out window) would be:

Navigate in the DOS windows to the drive/folder you want listed, then ..

DIR /s > c:\list.txt (carefully observe all the spaces) This will
provide the needed listing called list.txt in the C: root. Then,
back into Win XP, you can open that file with Notepad, or other.

Lord Possum

dir /ad /b /on /s>C:\dirlist.txt
Start Notepad.exe C:\dirlist.txt
===================

That will do the job, but it might be a bit more
useful to place such similar file in the
Windows folder for universal availability.

Here is a quick and dirty directory/folder list-out
from the olden days of DOS. Using Notepad, just
use the two main lines below and save it to a
file called DIRLIST.BAT and place it in your Windows
folder.

Thereafter, you can enter on the RUN line
DIRLIST for any Folder or Sub-Folder you desire,
regardless of what folder or drive you happen to
be in currently.

i.e. DIRLIST C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

which will generate a loooong list of everything
in that SYSTEM32 folder and show it to you with
Notepad. That dirlist.txt will remain in SYSTEM32
folder until you delete it, or overwrite it again.

====don't use this line========
dir /s %1 > %1\dirlist.txt

Notepad.exe %1\dirlist.txt
====don't use this line========