Need Firewall?

Mista Fadedglory

Hello,

I recently purchased a Linksys wireless router to have a wireless
network in my house. with that I'm wondering, do I need a software
firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm anymore? I thought that I had heard
that there is no need for those if I have a "hard" router.

Thanks in advance.

John Doe

Mista Fadedglory said:
I recently purchased a Linksys wireless router to have a wireless
network in my house. with that I'm wondering, do I need a
software firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm anymore? I thought
that I had heard that there is no need for those if I have a
"hard" router.

I'm no expert, but I disable the hardware firewall and use the
software firewall because it allows easy control over individual
programs. The only reason I disable the hardware firewall is because
it interferes with stuff. So, if I were you, I would use the
software firewall, and if you have communications difficulties, try
disabling the hardware firewall. That is, unless you don't need the
user friendliness of the software firewall.

Good luck.

jaster

Hello,

I recently purchased a Linksys wireless router to have a wireless
network in my house. with that I'm wondering, do I need a software
firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm anymore? I thought that I had heard
that there is no need for those if I have a "hard" router.

Thanks in advance.

The safe bet is to make sure all the security on the router is enabled,
WPA the router firewall.
Yes you need a software firewall for the PC. Generally routers kick out
unsolicited messages to your network, but when your network starts a
connection it can download anything. Thats anything like a javascript,
activex, trojan, virus or even legitimate programs that initiate
connections from your PC.

Lots of valid software like Windows Update do this on a regular basis so
a software firewalls like Personal Firewall, Comodo and ZoneAlarm can
alert you to programs initiating outward connection attempts. Initially
you should at least log all your outbound attempts to see which programs
are trying to make connections, even better except for programs "Windows
Update", "Windows clock Ntp" and "Comodo Update" allow all connections
but every other program must request permission.

geoff

Correct, programs like zone alarm are not needed if your computers sit
behind a router, assuming you have encrypted the wireless portion of the
router.

The reason is the computer's ip address is not accessible from the internet,
the ip address is assigned by the router and useable only by the router.
The only thing accessible on the internet is the router itself and unless
you have turned on remote administration, there is nothing a bad guy can do
with it.

The only use zone alarm would have, for this setup, is for outgoing
programs, you get some malware and it tries to 'phone home'. In that case,
zone alarm asks you if you want to let the program use the internet.

The only problem with this method is there is no way to tell what the
program is. Malware on your computer could use names similar to legitimate
programs.

A good virus program will not only look for viruses but also virus like
activity. A hardware router and a good virus program will have you covered
in most cases.

--g

Conor

I'm no expert, but I disable the hardware firewall and use the
software firewall because it allows easy control over individual
programs. The only reason I disable the hardware firewall is because
it interferes with stuff. So, if I were you, I would use the
software firewall, and if you have communications difficulties, try
disabling the hardware firewall. That is, unless you don't need the
user friendliness of the software firewall.
Just to add, if you're running NAT, you've still got a hardware
firewall running.

Conor

geoff said:
Correct, programs like zone alarm are not needed if your computers sit
behind a router, assuming you have encrypted the wireless portion of the
router.
I disagree. That only stops inbound connections. Doesn't stop malware
dialling out.

geoff

I disagree. That only stops inbound connections. Doesn't stop malware
dialling out.

I believed I covered that in my response. Zone alarm stops programs from
dialing out only if you know that the program is malware and you click 'no'.

However, malware is probably going to have a name similiar to programs
already on your machine.

IBM tried zone alarm in order to curb all the malware on their network but
it did not help.

--g

John Doe

You really need to introduce the prior author(s), geoff.
I believed I covered that in my response. Zone alarm stops
programs from dialing out only if you know that the program is
malware and you click 'no'.

But seriously. You can click No even if you don't know that the
program is malware. Then you can look it up, or you can notice
whether something you need to do isn't happening.

Learning how to use a firewall might not be easy, but neither is
reinstalling Windows.
However, malware is probably going to have a name similiar to
programs already on your machine.

Not a problem if you know how to spell.
IBM tried zone alarm in order to curb all the malware on their
network but it did not help.

Hey, I can use a computer better than IBM.

John Doe

Rarius said:
Mista Fadedglory,

If you want to reply to the original poster, reply to the original
poster, maroon.
Everything I am about to say is predicated on the assumption that
your particular router does have a hardware firewall built in.
Most do, but not all. Its worth checking!

I would probably do the absolute opposite to what Mr Doe has
suggested. [Besides being a troll,] I say this for several
reasons...
3) Hardware firewalls are usually quite easy to configure.

Relative to a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, that's nonsense.
The default
settings are generally right for most people. Anything out,
nothing in!

Once again, the troll is speaking from ignorance about personal
computing. The idea of letting anything out does not work for many
personal computer users because sometimes we download and run
programs that are not safe. A software firewall like ZoneAlarm
alerts us about outgoing traffic that isn't necessary and that is
potentially harmful.
4) Software firewalls have been known to conflict with other
software.

Like what, virtual machines? Maroon.
5) Software firewalls are often difficult to configure to
allow file or
print sharing between PCs on the local network.

Even if that were true, many personal computers are stand-alone.
6) Good anti-virus/malware software (I do NOT include Norton
in this!)
should kill any malware before it gets a chance to open outgoing
connections, which is the main reason usually touted for software
firewalls.

A software firewall and a good backup system is why I don't need
antivirus software that interferes with
downloads/transfers/messaging and slows down my computer.

My hardware firewall is set to "allow all" and I have no problems or
worries about viruses, period.
Rarius
(professional network admin for five years prior to my current job
as seniour software engineer)

Says someone who didn't know personal computer homebuilders buy OEM
hard drives. You are in the right place, Rarius, here you will learn
about personal computers.

geoff

Everything I am about to say is predicated on the assumption that your
particular router does have a hardware firewall built in. Most do, but not
all . . .

Your points are well said. A hardware firewall and a good anti-virus
program ('good' meaning it looks for viruses but also virus like activity)
has you covered in 99.999% of the cases.

ZoneAlarm is a good product but it is overkill for most people.

--g

John Doe

Okay, I was going to be serious about replying here, but I just
can't now. Rarius claims to have been an engineer of various sorts,
so I was searching the USENET archive for posts outside of this
group. Then I ran into his BDSM posts, specifically in
(uk.adverts.personals). At first, I figured it was forgery by an
adversary of his, but after reading (and I expect he will plainly
admit it and even justify it here) obviously it's him.

Nope, not going to argue with someone who enjoys BDSM.

That's USENET for you, sometimes the other guy could be a king or he
could be a mass murderer. But I appreciate the experience, maybe I
can better recognize the pattern next time.

John Doe

"Rarius" <rarius rarius.co.uk> wrote:

You have really shown yourself up now Mr Doe as the small minded
bigot you really are.

How so?
Please explain to me just what my personal sexual preferences have
to do with my experience as a computer engineer?

You aren't a computer engineer, Rarius.
I am not going to deny that I posted adverts in several personals
newsgroups after my marriage ended.

Is that what you told the court, Rarius? Apparently your wife's
attorney sucked at data mining. According to your own posts, Rarius,
you were married and had a child when you were looking for a BDSM
bitch on USENET.
I am married to a non-kinky woman, the mother of my child. I am
devoted to both of them, but as she is not submissive, I have to
look to fulfill my BDSM needs elsewhere. I will not go behind my
wife's back in this and have her full support in my seeking a
slave.

I am looking to meet and build a long term relationship with a
submissive woman, perhaps one who cannot fulfill her needs within
her own marriage. My perfect match would be a service oriented
submissive woman, with a taste for latex, leather and bondage.

John Doe

"Rarius" <rarius rarius.co.uk> wrote:
Bullshit.

I know what I wrote...[/QUOTE]

What you know is irrelevant.
Has it not occurred to you that my then wife and I had discussed this and
that I had her blessing before I posted that advert?

I couldn't care less, it's just another example of you being a liar.
You need someone to abuse so that you can be "devoted" to others.
You're a scumbag, Rarius.

John Doe

You dare to call me a "scumbag"

Judging by what you have brought to USENET, Rarius, in my opinion
you are a scumbag.
while you are the one who brought my PRIVATE life into this. You
really need to grow up and learn how adults behave.

You brought your private life onto the public USENET, Rarius, and
it's seeping all over the place.
As you so helpfully posted details of my own private life on here,
I thought I'd do a little digging of my own...

Details of your own private life that you yourself have posted
publicly, Rarius, stuff that IMO explains some of your behavior
here in this group.
... and you have the gall to attack me for a consensual BDSM
relationship!

A "consensual BDSM relationship"?

Is your current bitch married, Rarius?

I wonder how long it took your ex-wife to get smart and figure out
that she was in a bad relationship, Rarius, whether she in fact knew
about your involvement in and public solicitations for extramarital
BDSM relationships, and currently how much access you have to her
child.

I wonder what percentage of child abuse, child molestation, child
kidnapping, child rape, and child pornography is committed by BDSM
(Bondage & Discipline, Sadism & Masochism) enthusiast perverts like
Rarius.

Sometimes horrible things happen right in front of everybody, as if
people are only capable of being spectators.

Subject: Intelligent dominant married man seeks submissive female for extramarital long term relationship
From: "Rarius" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:48:32 -0000
Newsgroups: uk.adverts.personals

I am an experienced (10 years plus) dominant gentleman, looking to
find a slavegirl to own.

I am married to a non-kinky woman, the mother of my child. I am
devoted to both of them, but as she is not submissive, I have to
look to fulfill my BDSM needs elsewhere. I will not go behind my
wife's back in this and have her full support in my seeking a slave.

I am looking to meet and build a long term relationship with a
submissive woman, perhaps one who cannot fulfill her needs within
her own marriage. My perfect match would be a service oriented
submissive woman, with a taste for latex, leather and bondage. I am
not looking for a painslut or a naughty girl, but an intelligent
woman I can talk to, own and fulfil. My BDSM philosophy is based on
Gorean principles, but as a free thinkier I am not bound by any
external worldview.

Please note that as I am only looking for contacts within a
reasonable travelling distance of my home. This means Norfolk or
Suffolk.

Rarius
Email:[email protected]
Yahoo ID:SirRarius
AIM ID:SirRarius
MSN ID:[email protected]
Web:www.rarius.co.uk

And from your own public worldwide webpage, Rarius.
http://www.rarius.co.uk/
Philip Cowley
Lowerstoft
(+44)(0)7947 638 797
36

John Doe

Rarius said:
"John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
The BDSM community is made up of free thinking adults,

Do you think that an adult having sex with a child is okay, Philip
Cowley?

John Doe

Rarius said:
"JR Weiss" <jrweiss98155remove remove.comcast.net> wrote in
message

Good thing you didn't say "private".
Very good point, JR. I ought to have learned better by now. John
Doe will now be ignored. I feel I ought to apologise to the rest
of this group for allowing this to go on for so long.

Why apologize, Philip Cowley, it's the kind of stuff people view all
day long on television. Anybody who doesn't want to read it can
simply ignore the thread or ignore the thread branch. But you just
had to trumpet your imaginary kill file friend.

Subject: Intelligent and dominant English gentleman seeks intelligent submissive woman for LTR
From: "Rarius" <rarius rarius.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:41:41 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.personals.fetish

I am a well maintained, 35 years old, guy with a slim/medium build. I am
fit with no medical problems worth mentioning (does colour blindness
count?). I swim and walk, read and write, enjoy a wide range of music and
art. I have never smoked nor used drugs. Although I like a drink once in a
while I never drink to excess. I currently live on the coast of Suffolk,
England. I am not interested in relocating, but would be happy for a sub to
relocate here.

I am a free thinker and not given to blindly follow any fashionable
philosophy. I have integrated elements of many philosophies into my own
over the years and expect to continue to do so in years to come. I am never
satisfied with my own abilities and assumptions and continually seek to
improve my skills and knowledge.

I am looking for an intelligent woman who will be fulfilled by a sub/Dom
relationship. I believe a good Dom is a teacher and guide who does not use
force as a matter of course, but only when it is needed. It is important to
me that my sub is happy and fulfilled by what we do and how I treat her. I
believe that life should be fun, and that includes BDSM. I offer any
prospective sub a stable home with well defined boundaries and
responsibilities. In return I would demand obedience and respect.

Any sub joining me can expect to spend long periods in light bondage, having
her clothing (if any) chosen for her, wear latex and PVC, be used as a
servant and ornament when friends visit. You will wear a locked steel
collar and sleep chained each night. When you disappoint me, disobey me or
are disrespectful, you will be punished. Punishments will range from simple
to "inventive", but will never "harm" you... "hurt" yes, "harm" never!

Rarius

John Doe

Rarius said:
In actual fact academic studies have demonstrated that over 35% of
Americans have participated in BDSM at some time, over 12% do so
regularly

Sure, Philip Cowley, an American woman is just dying to "have her
clothes chosen for her (if any), wear latex, be used as a servant
and ornament when friends visit, and wear a locked steel collar and
sleep chained each night."

And I'm a bigot.

And you are an engineer.

And the cow jumped over the moon.

John Doe

Rarius said:
No I don't. I never have and I never will. What two concenting
adults do in private is up to them, I do not condone any sexual
activity in front of or including children.

So this is the sum total of your intellect... making innuendos
about pedophilia...

Apparently you have researched the subject well enough, Philip
Cowley.

Subject: Re: On the Gor Books
From: "Rarius" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.lifestyle.master-slave

yukata,

Gor is a fantasy. Many things in it are not acceptable to modern
western civilised society. In a world that accepts slavery and the
right of a man with a sword to take what he wishes, I think the
taking of a girl at age 15 is a rather minor point.

There are several US states that allow marriage at the age of 15
(Michigan, Missouri, Utah, etc) and In New Hampshire it is legal for
a girl aged 13 to be married with her parents consent! Although most
countries of the world have a sexual age of consent of 16, some
notable exceptions occur even in the developed world... Several US
states have ages down to 14 under some circumstances, in Spain it is
13, Poland it is 15, Japanese federal law sets it at 13, in Italy,
Germany and Iceland it is 14...

Setting a fixed legal age would go against the basic philosophy of
Gor. Some girls mature faster than others. Some are more than ready
at 15 or 14, some don't mature until 18 or 19. The Gorean point of
view would say that each should be judged on her own qualities.

I know the books rather well and can only think of one instance
where the age of a girl was sited as a problem. In 'Marauders of
Gor', Tarl Cabot stands as champion for a young boy in a dual
against a large warrior who wants the boy's sister for a slave.
Tarl comments that "Yet the girl was young. I doubted that a girl
should be put in collar before she was fifteen." It does not say
that he thinks that at the age of fifteen a girl becomes fair game.
Only that he says he doesn't think she should be taken before that
age. Subtle difference but noteworthy.

I have a relationship based on Gorean ideals. My slave and I are
both 36 years of age. Although she does wear a collar 24/7, it is
subtle and usually mistaken for jewellery. We don't force our
beliefs on anyone else but keep it between ourselves. We both hold
down stressful professional jobs and a Gorean relationship gives us
both a break from the mundain world of work and society. We both
identified a rightness about the Gorean Master/slave dynamic for us,
but I am not about to start wielding a sword and she isn't bout to
start calling all men "master".

As I said at the start, Gor is a fantasy... For some people, like my
slave and I, a fantasy that touches something in their hearts.
Something that fills a void inside us and leaves us feeling complete
and content.

Rarius

Shadow39

Rarius said:
Very good point, JR. I ought to have learned better by now. John Doe will
now be ignored. I feel I ought to apologise to the rest of this group for
allowing this to go on for so long.

Anyone got a computer question?

Rarius
He is best ignored. If you post or say anything in the least bit he doesn't
agree with (doesn't matter what it is) he'll argue with you, insult you, dig
up any personal info he can, tell you you are wrong etc. He is a troll, a
dumbass, a ****wit a... well, you get the idea. He likes to call others
trolls, but continually posts out of topic for this group. Killfile him now,
and don't look back.

John Doe

He is best ignored. If you post or say anything in the least bit
he doesn't agree with (doesn't matter what it is)

That's utter nonsense of course.
he'll argue with you, insult you, dig up any personal info he can,
tell you you are wrong etc.

Poor baby... probably just needs his diaper changed.
He is a troll, a dumbass, a ****wit a... well, you get the idea.

I get the idea that the nym-shifting troll flames others and then
runs and hides hiding from his posting history. The nym-shifting
might have something to do with his persistent trolling in the child
support group.
He likes to call others trolls,

A troll is as a troll does, troll.
but continually posts out of topic for this group.

I don't run and hide from my posting history, and in fact my posts
are almost always on topic.