Need firewall advice---from the people who use them

Ron May

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Message-ID said:
Is there a place or group where I can check out some of the programs that
want to get out? i.e. Yahoo download manager which did not ask from firefox
when yahoo loaded but rather from the "verizon yahoo" I also have.

There's no single answer I can think of.

Generally, I follow the concept of "when in doubt, don't." IOW, if
you don't know what the application is doing, disallow the connection
and see what happens. You can do this one time, or check the option
to block the app without asking again.

If you do the latter, with Kerio PF, right click the tray icon, select
"Administration," then "Advanced," then select "Filter Rules" and
scroll down to the bottom for the most recent entry. Scroll right to
the path and filename.

If you recognize the file, decide whether you want to allow or block
the connection (incoming, outgoing or both) and edit accordingly.
(There are a lot of ways to tweak your filters later on, but it's best
to stick to the basics at first.)

If you DON"T recognize the file, browse to the directory where you may
find documentation that will clue you in.

If THAT doesn't help, google for <filename.exe> and you'll almost
always find some helpful information.

I know that sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. Once you
get past the firewall's initial "learning process" you'll learn to
expect popups with new or updated software, and you'll know pretty
much off the bat whether you want to allow it to connect or not.

Stubbo_of_Oz

I use Sensive Guard on my Windows machines. Heard about it here
in acf first. Tried it, liked it better than ZA. All firewalls
have to be trained at first, ZA kept forgetting, Sensive hasn't yet.

Link: http://www.sensiveguard.com

Does it allow use of networked computers talking to each other? Zone
Alarm (free) does not so I had to switch to Sygate :-(

David

Does it allow use of networked computers talking to each other? Zone
Alarm (free) does not so I had to switch to Sygate :-(

Not true! I am running ZA Free on two computers. It is only when you
try to activate Internet Connection Sharing that ZA gets upset. I
connect through a SmoothWall box and ZA has not objected in the
slightest. You do have to setup ZA so that it recognises which
addresses are machines in your LAN.

Smoothwall acts as the DHCP server and gateway machine. I can access
the internet from either machine and I can access each machine from
any other. I periodically add other machines to the LAN for testing or
software update via my ADSL connection. I have to initially setup the
other machine but connections to my machines and the internet are
seamless once this is done.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

Lou

Ron said:
[...]

Thanks for the detailed advice. I can follow it.

Lou
It's not that difficult - I followed their instructions and got it done
without understanding a bit of it!

Ric

<snipped>

Should have specified v2.1.5 and not the later versions. BIG
difference between them.

Yes, 2.1.5 is trivial to bypass, while the others require a lot more
effort. Why do people continue to recommend faulty outdated products?
Don't you ever put any research into the security products you use?

Here is an nmap scan against 2.1.5.

###:/# nmap -v -v -f 10.0.0.1
Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-27
23:31 GMT
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against 10.0.0.1 [1663 ports] at 23:31
Discovered open port 44334/tcp on 10.0.0.1
The SYN Stealth Scan took 0.23s to scan 1663 total ports.
Host 10.0.0.1 appears to be up ... good.
Interesting ports on 10.0.0.1:
(The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT STATE SERVICE
44334/tcp open tinyfw
MAC Address:
Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.992 seconds
Raw packets sent: 4993 (133KB) | Rcvd: 1664 (76.5KB)

Port 44334 is open because the packets were fragmented, and Kerio
allows ALL such packet through.

If you do "man nmap" from Linux and look up the -f option it tells you

"While fragmented packets won't get by packet filters and firewalls
that queue all IP fragments, such as the CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG
option in the Linux kernel, some networks can't afford the performance
hit this causes and thus leave it disabled."

which most likely explains why 2.1.5 uses so few resources.

It does this group no credit when people keep recommending such an
ineffective security product.

Ric

Ron May

Message-ID said:
[...]

You know what my IP address is from this message header. If you
believe I'm running "such an innefective security product" I have a
way for you to demonstrate your point if you think it can be done.

I'm connected to the internet 24/7. Try to get into my system and
report back with proof you were able to do it. Say, provide a simple
directory listing.

If you can do it, I'll admit you have a valid argument. If an expert
with superior knowledge and expertise on security products such as
yourself isn't able to do it, then I see no reason to be concerned
about a "theoretical" weakness.

Stubbo_of_Oz

Not true! I am running ZA Free on two computers. It is only when you
try to activate Internet Connection Sharing that ZA gets upset.

Oooppps - it's so long since I used it that I got mixed up - yes it
was when I tried to connect both computers to same internet connection
that I had problems.

So I switched to Sygate but a bit worried about it's future :-(
I >connect through a SmoothWall box and ZA has not objected
in the slightest.

Smoothwall - 33.78MB download and even more for the manuals!!! A bit
much for my slow dialup connection - can't get broadband :-(

David

Oooppps - it's so long since I used it that I got mixed up - yes it
was when I tried to connect both computers to same internet connection
that I had problems.

So I switched to Sygate but a bit worried about it's future :-(

Smoothwall - 33.78MB download and even more for the manuals!!! A bit
much for my slow dialup connection - can't get broadband :-(

Contact me on the back channel and I'll see what I can do. I'm in
Adelaide. Reply to this post or use justdas at iinet dot net dot au.
--

Message-ID<[email protected]>:

You know what my IP address is from this message header. If you
believe I'm running "such an innefective security product" I have a
way for you to demonstrate your point if you think it can be done.

I thought you might. :)
I'm connected to the internet 24/7. Try to get into my system and
report back with proof you were able to do it. Say, provide a simple
directory listing.

I think you misunderstand what this vulnerability enables an attacker
to do. Once the firewall is bypassed you can't get a directory list
because you are not logged on yet, there has to be a service to
connect to. I don't intend to get into anyone's computer, with or
without their permission, but a quick scan on port 44334 with nmap
shows:

###:~# nmap -v -v -f -p 44334 24.0.171.57
Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-28
19:08 GMT NET: Registered protocol family 17
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net
(24.0.171.57) [1 port] at 19:08
The SYN Stealth Scan took 1.59s to scan 1 total ports.
Host c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net (24.0.171.57) appears to be up
.... good.
Interesting ports on c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net (24.0.171.57):
PORT STATE SERVICE
44334/tcp filtered tinyfw

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.673 seconds
Raw packets sent: 10 (268B) | Rcvd: 1 (46B)

This shows that Kerio/Tiny 2.x is running at that IP address.

Another scan of ports 1-1024 shows:

###:/# nmap -v -v -f -p 1-1024 24.0.171.57
Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-01-28
19:15 GMT
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net
(24.0.171.57) [1024 ports] at 19:15
The SYN Stealth Scan took 61.82s to scan 1024 total ports.
Host c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net (24.0.171.57) appears to be up
.... good.
Interesting ports on c-24-0-171-57.hsd1.tx.comcast.net (24.0.171.57):
(The 1023 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT STATE SERVICE
113/tcp closed auth

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 62.703 seconds
Raw packets sent: 6178 (165KB) | Rcvd: 11 (506B)

Have a look in Kerio's log for the last scan (2006-01-28 19:15 GMT)
and see what's there. Does it tell you that 1024 ports have been
scanned?
If you can do it, I'll admit you have a valid argument. If an expert
with superior knowledge and expertise on security products such as
yourself isn't able to do it, then I see no reason to be concerned
about a "theoretical" weakness.

Sarcasm Alert. :)

This is easy to do. All that's needed is a Linux/BSD box to route the
packets through. You don't appear to use Kerio to protect any services
so if it is bypassed there is nothing to connect to.

I'd suggest you download nmap and try this yourself. If you don't have
another computer on the LAN do it from a friend's computer. Open some
ports first and "stealth" them with Kerio. Have fun. :)

Ric

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I think you misunderstand what this vulnerability enables an attacker
to do. Once the firewall is bypassed you can't get a directory list
because you are not logged on yet, there has to be a service to
connect to. I don't intend to get into anyone's computer, with or
without their permission, but a quick scan on port 44334 with nmap
shows:
PORT STATE SERVICE
44334/tcp filtered tinyfw
PORT STATE SERVICE
113/tcp closed auth

For starters, it may appear to you that I "misunderstand what this
vulnerability enables an attacker to do" but I believe it is more
accurate to say that you've failed to EXPLAIN (let alone demonstrate)
what you claim the alleged flaw allows attackers to do. Although you
claimed in your original post that Kerio "2.1.5 is trivial to bypass,"
apparently we now know that obtaining something as simple and benign
as a directory listing isn't a "trivial" matter.

FYI, Port 44344 is used by KPF "PFWADMIN.EXE" to communicate with KPF
"PERSFW.EXE" through localhost.

I also get much different results from other services than you claim
to have gotten with nmap:

http://www.auditmypc.com/ says (For Ports 113 and 44334)

"We scanned the ports you requested, looking for any services or
viruses that might be running on them, and did not find anything.
This usually indicates that your firewall software or security
software is functioning properly. If we had found open ports, we
would have reported them to you so that you could adjust your firewall
accordingly."

https://www.grc.com/ "Shields Up" for ports 113 and 44344 shows:

Port / Status / Protocol and Application

113 / Stealth / auth / ident
Authentication Service / Identification Protocol

44334 / Stealth / Unknown Protocol for this port
Unknown Application for this port.

http://www.dslreports.com/scan (FULL SCAN) shows:

Your Results for this scan
Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect no interesting responses
from any of the commonly probed TCP and UDP ports. It would be
difficult for an attacker to know where to start without further
information.
TCP ALL FILTERED No response packet was received.
UDP ALL FILTERED No response packet was received.

(and the note below)
FILTERED PORT the port is silent in response to open-port requests
No response to probes were detected.

Stealth test at http://www.pcflank.com/ results:

Packet' type Status
TCP "ping" stealthed
TCP NULL stealthed
TCP FIN stealthed
TCP XMAS stealthed
UDP stealthed

Recommendation:

Your computer is invisible to the others on the Internet!

The advanced Port Scanner at the same site showed:

Results of Advanced Port Scanner
TCP SYN scanning (scanned in 40 seconds)

We have scanned your computer' ports used by the most widespread
trojan horses. Here is the description of possible ports' statuses:

Port: Status Service Description
113 stealthed n/a n/a
44334 stealthed n/a n/a

Recommendation:

All the ports we have scanned are Stealthed (by a firewall). So just
continue following the fundamental security measures and regularly
update your security software.

======================

If and when you feel you're actually up to the task of demonstrating
how Kerio 2.1.5 "is trivial to bypass" and exactly what it is a
potential attacker is able to do that CAN'T be done to users of other
firewalls, let me know. Until then, however, I'm satisfied to
continue using and recommending it to others.

Ric

For starters, it may appear to you that I "misunderstand what this
vulnerability enables an attacker to do" but I believe it is more
accurate to say that you've failed to EXPLAIN (let alone demonstrate)
what you claim the alleged flaw allows attackers to do. Although you
claimed in your original post that Kerio "2.1.5 is trivial to bypass,"
apparently we now know that obtaining something as simple and benign
as a directory listing isn't a "trivial" matter.

This paragraph implies you still don't understand. Please don't be
offended, that's not an insult. Once the firewall is bypassed the
attacker would still have to get past the OS to do anything useful.
Many people don't use a PFW and are quite safe without one. Look at it
this way, if you uninstalled Kerio would your OS let anyone remotely
log on and have access to your files? No, it wouldn't. Kerio is
mainly a packet filter used to restrict access to certain ports. Let's
say you ran a webserver on port 80 and a mail server on port 25, then
blocked outside access to them with Kerio. An attacker could easily
read your web page if it wasn't password restricted, but the webserver
would only allow access to the files you were serving to the web, not
the OS files. If Kerio was bypassed on port 25 the attacker would be
presented with a login prompt from the mailserver, and would have to
crack the password to get in. To get a directory list you have to
access a service that allows you file access to the remote computer.
Is that explained any better?
FYI, Port 44344 is used by KPF "PFWADMIN.EXE" to communicate with KPF
"PERSFW.EXE" through localhost.

Yes. This is why it's so easy to find machines running Kerio on the
internet. An nmap -f scan of a block of IP addresses will return the
IP's of all the computers running Kerio/Tiny 2.x.
I also get much different results from other services than you claim
to have gotten with nmap:

This output is not faked, if that's what you think. Get some of the
regs in this group to do:
nmap -v -v -f -p 44334 24.0.171.57
and post the output. I'm sure some would oblige if you gave
permission. Any volunteers?
http://www.auditmypc.com/ says (For Ports 113 and 44334)

"We scanned the ports you requested, looking for any services or
viruses that might be running on them, and did not find anything.
This usually indicates that your firewall software or security
software is functioning properly. If we had found open ports, we
would have reported them to you so that you could adjust your firewall
accordingly."

Quite an honest summary really. The sentence "This usually indicates
that your firewall software or security software is functioning
properly" is a lot better than "Your computer is invisible to the
others on the Internet."

But as they didn't fragment the packets they won't be getting past
Kerio.
https://www.grc.com/ "Shields Up" for ports 113 and 44344 shows:

Port / Status / Protocol and Application

113 / Stealth / auth / ident
Authentication Service / Identification Protocol

44334 / Stealth / Unknown Protocol for this port
Unknown Application for this port.

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.
http://www.dslreports.com/scan (FULL SCAN) shows:

Your Results for this scan
Conclusion: Healthy Setup! We could detect no interesting responses
from any of the commonly probed TCP and UDP ports.

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.
It would be
difficult for an attacker to know where to start without further
information.

Nmap is common knowledge, there's nothing difficult about it. I would
expect more from dslreports. :(
TCP ALL FILTERED No response packet was received.
UDP ALL FILTERED No response packet was received.

(and the note below)
FILTERED PORT the port is silent in response to open-port requests
No response to probes were detected.

Stealth test at http://www.pcflank.com/ results:

Packet' type Status
TCP "ping" stealthed
TCP NULL stealthed
TCP FIN stealthed
TCP XMAS stealthed
UDP stealthed

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.
Recommendation:

Your computer is invisible to the others on the Internet!

This is a lie. Nmap -P0 or Hping -R will prove it.
The advanced Port Scanner at the same site showed:

Results of Advanced Port Scanner
TCP SYN scanning (scanned in 40 seconds)

We have scanned your computer' ports used by the most widespread
trojan horses. Here is the description of possible ports' statuses:

Port: Status Service Description
113 stealthed n/a n/a
44334 stealthed n/a n/a

Recommendation:

All the ports we have scanned are Stealthed (by a firewall). So just
continue following the fundamental security measures and regularly
update your security software.

Stealth is ..... best avoided for now.
======================

If and when you feel you're actually up to the task of demonstrating
how Kerio 2.1.5 "is trivial to bypass" and exactly what it is a
potential attacker is able to do that CAN'T be done to users of other
firewalls, let me know.

I did that with nmap, why insist on more intrusive proof?
And why should I when you can easily do it yourself?
Instead of downloading nmap and doing your own checking you put it in
the hands of some of the very people who are trying to sell PFW's.
What do you expect from them? They are not going to tell you what
tools defeat their firewalls, and certainly not let you scan their own
products with them.

Put "free port listener" into your favorite search engine, find one
that logs connections, then install it and open some ports. Configure
Kerio for full "stealth" and block ALL incoming and outgoing TCP, UDP
and ICMP, and log all packets. Then go to a friends house and see for
yourself. When you get home you can compare Kerio's logs to the port
listener logs.
Until then, however, I'm satisfied to
continue using and recommending it to others.

That's your choice, but bear in mind that many people read this group,
and Kerio wouldn't know if they were all hammering you with fragments
right now, looking for services that are not open. Kerio can't stop
this and they would be free to run a vulnerability scan on your OS,
which would be blocked by a PFW that can handle fragments correctly.

If you don't believe me try it yourself and see. Or better still start
a new thread and make it a group thing. Then Kerio/Tiny users can all
see for themselves whether their PFW is Pricelessware or not.
If people in this group are prepared to recommend security software
then it's reasonable to expect some basic checking of the software.
I'm not talking a full scan here just 1-5 ports would be sufficient,
nothing an ISP would notice or care about.
How about it? Would you believe other posters in this group?

Ric

Ron May

Message-ID said:
This paragraph implies you still don't understand. Please don't be
offended, that's not an insult. Once the firewall is bypassed the

Excuse the shouting, but please read and respond to the following:

THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE NOT DEMONSTRATED.

EXACTLY HOW IS THE FIREWALL BYPASSED?

You've still not backed up your claim that Kerio 2.1.5 is "trivial to
bypass." Skipping over that point by saying "Once the firewall is
bypassed" isn't going to cut it.
[...]

Let's see. What you're saying is that IF a firewall is bypassed
(which you have NOT been able to demonstrate thus far - what you're
not responding to is your claim to have DETECTED Kerio does not equate
to being able to BYPASS it) then an attacker really can't do anything
unless, at the same time, I happen to be running software that ALLOWS
certain outsiders to have whatever access to my system that I've
configured the software to allow (which may be limited, and may also
require the outside user or attacker to have certain software
installed on their system as well,) and then the attacker needs to be
able to bypass whatever other security layers I have (maybe MAC or IP
filtering, MD5 checks, and WEP encryption in addition to passwords and
other measures such as script blockers, virus checkers, etc.)

Is THAT what you're saying. OMIGOSH! I'M LITERRALY TERRIFIED BY THE
PROSPECT. I had no idea I was THAT vulnerable! said:
Yes. This is why it's so easy to find machines running Kerio on the
internet. An nmap -f scan of a block of IP addresses will return the
IP's of all the computers running Kerio/Tiny 2.x.

Did you miss the reference to "LOCALHOST?" Knowing my IP address,
which anyone can obtain from mail or news headers is a "risk" but it's
only a "risk" in terms of someone knowing there's an actual computer
or network associated with it rather than being a meaningless series
of numbers. It means NOTHING if I unplug the WAN cord from my cable
modem. Likewise, it means NOTHING to allegedly being able to detect
Kerio if packets originating from the outside are ignored. Again, it
does not demonstrate how Kerio is "trivial to bypass" as you claimed
in the original post.
This output is not faked, if that's what you think. Get some of the
regs in this group to do:
nmap -v -v -f -p 44334 24.0.171.57
and post the output. I'm sure some would oblige if you gave
permission. Any volunteers?

I extend permission to ANY reader of this post to attempt to access my
system and provide evidence that they were able to access a file of
some kind, or write a file to my system. I don't think that's as
"trivial" to accomplish as you allege, and THAT'S the point I've been
making from the start and what you have chosen to ignore. The purpose
of a firewall is to prevent unauthorized access to a system so that no
one can access your data or otherwise do harm. THAT is what I'm
asking you to respond to, and if you cannot demonstrate the risk, then
I don't see a vulnerability.
Quite an honest summary really. The sentence "This usually indicates
that your firewall software or security software is functioning
properly" is a lot better than "Your computer is invisible to the
others on the Internet."

But as they didn't fragment the packets they won't be getting past
Kerio.

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.

Nmap is common knowledge, there's nothing difficult about it. I would
expect more from dslreports. :(

Same again. You were not scanned with fragmented packets.

This is a lie. Nmap -P0 or Hping -R will prove it.

Stealth is ..... best avoided for now.

I can certainly see why you might choose to avoid that discussion as
well as the results. Why you feel nmap results should carry more
weight than major online security sites is beyond me, but having said
that, I repeat, even granting that Kerio can be DETECTED does not
equate to being able to "trivially bypass" it. Let me know when that
sinks in and then please respond specifically to that point.
I did that with nmap, why insist on more intrusive proof?

NOT TRUE! PLEASE READ MY ABOVE PARAGRAPH AGAIN! You did NOT do that
with nmap. THAT'S what I've been trying to get you to respond to. At
BEST, all you've done is detect that Kerio was running. How about if
I just STIPULATE for the sake of argument that nmap can DETECT Kerio
and conclude that part of the discussion, okay? Now what? What does
it mean in real terms? It DOESN'T mean that Kerio is "trivial to
bypass" (which is what you originally contended and what you FAILED to
respond to in my paragraph above, and what you did NOT do with nmap)
nor does it explain "what it is a potential attacker is able to do
that CAN'T be done to users of other firewalls" (which is the second
relevant point in the above paragraph that you FAILED to respond to,
and which your exercise with nmap obviously DOESN'T explain.)
And why should I when you can easily do it yourself?
Instead of downloading nmap and doing your own checking you put it in
the hands of some of the very people who are trying to sell PFW's.
What do you expect from them? They are not going to tell you what
tools defeat their firewalls, and certainly not let you scan their own
products with them.

Put "free port listener" into your favorite search engine, find one
that logs connections, then install it and open some ports. Configure
Kerio for full "stealth" and block ALL incoming and outgoing TCP, UDP
and ICMP, and log all packets. Then go to a friends house and see for
yourself. When you get home you can compare Kerio's logs to the port
listener logs.

In light of my responses above, the exercise would be pointless. I
do, however, welcome readers of this post to accept the invitation I
extended above, which, again, is to attempt to access my system and
provide evidence that they were able to access a file of some kind, or
write a file to my system. There are some highly skilled participants
in ACF, and if there's a REAL threat, and they can find it and exploit
it, I'd like to know about it. Otherwise it's just so much hype.
[...]

The issue of Kerio and packet fragments has been discussed many times
here in ACF, and I doubt long time readers are hearing it for the
first time in this discussion. It hasn't had much impact on the
Pricelessware vote in the past and I doubt it will in the future for
many of the reasons I've mentioned in this thread. It's interesting
to talk about on a theoretical level perhaps, but few consider it to
be a bona fide threat for the average home computer user. On a
government or financial institution network, it might be a different
matter, but most of us FREEWARE users don't need, want or can afford
that level of security, which can STILL be bypassed anyway if the
potential payoff to the outside attacker is worth the effort.

The Ethernet LED on my cable modem blinks constantly. Frankly I'm not
the least bit concerned as to whether this is benign traffic on my
ISPs network or whether someone is actively scanning my ports for
whatever reason they might want to do it. That's why I don't keep
logs unless I have a troubleshooting need, e.g., trying to resolve a
connectivity problem. I only see a need to be concerned if there were
evidence of a credible threat. I'm behind a router anyway, so I use
Kerio mainly to restrict OUTBOUND traffic. On the INBOUND side, it's
just another layer of protection.

On the other hand, I welcome feedback from my invitation above for
others to test any REAL "vulnerabilities" that might exist on my
system. If they find any, I'll thank them for it, but otherwise it
seems to me all you've presented is alarmist rhetoric about a
theoretical risk that has little or no practical application or
credibility.

If you choose to respond, the FIRST thing I will do is see if you
address the SPECIFIC points I've raised (that DETECTING is not
"BYPASSING" and what SPECIFIC risk or risks (in terms of data security
from outside attacks) exist with Kerio 2.1.5 that makes its use
"trivial" as opposed to other firewalls. If you choose NOT to do
that, I see little reason to provide more than a cursory response
acknowledging that you continue to dodge the questions.

Stubbo_of_Oz

..... snip .....

Contact me on the back channel and I'll see what I can do. I'm in
Adelaide. Reply to this post or use justdas at iinet dot net dot au.

Thanks for offer but I decided to leave computer on and connected all
night - that got it!! :)

elaich

Is THAT what you're saying. OMIGOSH! I'M LITERRALY TERRIFIED BY THE
PROSPECT. I had no idea I was THAT vulnerable! <g>

Run Kerio 2.1.5 along with SPF 5.5 build 2710. They get along well together
and SPF covers the fragmented packets thing. No problems in 6 months
running the two together.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Run Kerio 2.1.5 along with SPF 5.5 build 2710. They get along well together
and SPF covers the fragmented packets thing. No problems in 6 months
running the two together.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it, but the combo is
probably more than I need considering everything else I have in place.

David

Thanks for offer but I decided to leave computer on and connected all
night - that got it!! :)

Good. You will have further downloads to get the 8 update files after
you have installed Smoothwall.

Be careful. Do NOT attempt to install Smoothwall on your main
computer. It wipes all hard drives. Use an old slower machine and
attach your modem to that machine. Read the manuals. As a dial-up user
your network will be Green only.

When you have Smoothwall up and running you can remove the monitor as
it runs without it and all administration is done from your browser.
The forums on smoothwall.org have information about various things and
I am always glad to give advice if I am able.
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply
At the bottom of the application where it says
"sign here". I put "Sagittarius"
E-mail: justdas at iinet dot net dot au

Kerodo

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it, but the combo is
probably more than I need considering everything else I have in place.

A better suggestion might be something like CHX with Kerio 2. CHX is an
excellent and super light packet filter with everything you could
possibly want feature-wise. Runs light (about 3mb ram use) and no
conflicts with Kerio whatsoever. It sits "behind" Kerio and will catch
anything Kerio lets thru, including fragmented packets. It's SPI is
stricter so you will definitely see stuff in the CHX logs that Kerio
passes. At any rate, I have used the 2 (along with several other
people) and they work great together. Solves the Kerio frag problem
with no overhead at all.

Here is a link to the CHX site: http://www.idrci.net/

You need to register online to get a key via email. Easy and simple.
Check out and start with the sample rule set and have a quick look at
the online docs for an understanding of how CHX works. It's one great
little packet filter, highly recommended.

Ron May

[...]

Now that does look good. I'll check it out. No problem with getting
a key by email. I just make an address up that's likely to be unique
at "dodgeit.com" and pick up the key, password or link a few minutes
later. I prefer "dodgeit" when I know something will be a one-time
use only because it's as simple as it gets, the domain name doesn't
contain "spam" and you don't have to disclose ANYTHING to use it.

Not a very good service though if you want to use it for several
emails over a period of time, since ANYONE can access it by just
typing in an email address (e.g., "(e-mail address removed)")

A Bloke

Hi, Ric,

Taking all 3 points together. Whilst true that KPF allows fragmented packets
through, I suspect many KPF 2.1.5 users use CHX or an equivalent packet filter
to shore up this one problem. Because apart from this, it's the best firewall
many of us have come across. That's why it keeps being recommended. I personally
re-visit all the firewalls on the market about once a year and try them out - I
actually end up being a little disappointed that each year I'm still left with
KPF 2.1.5 as the 'winner'.

Incidentally, I've only ever received one fragmented packet. I suspect this flaw
in KPF 2.1.5 just isn't exploited by and large. Maybe sending fragmented packets
just doesn't do any harm?

Cheers.
[...]

I saw it being 'exploited' for about a year here. A couple of spammers
were trying to use it to sneak UDP packets thru to ports 1026 and 1027
mostly. They succeeded in getting thru, but only to hit closed ports,
so there was no harm and nothing happened. I have heard people say that
nothing harmful can really be done with it all. Apparently an outsider
cannot initiate a successful TCP session of any kind since Kerio would
block the resulting outbound packets. So I believe the worst case
scenario would be someone sneaking some UDP thru. Whether or not that
can be harmful, I don't really know, but I would not lose sleep over it.

At any rate, as you say, CHX can be used quite easily and successfully
to close the gap there, I used that combo myself for quite some time and
it worked well. No conflicts.

Aside from 2 or 3 spammers hitting me with fragmented UDP packet pairs,
I never saw any other 'exploits' here in 2 years using Kerio 2 on cable.
I agree that Kerio 2 has perhaps the best interface ever made for a rule
based firewall. Can't be beat IMO. So if I were so inclined, I think
I'd continue using it as long as it worked with my current OS. I have a
router now, so I scrapped it, but if I didn't, I'd probably still be
using it with CHX.