Need a Graphics Card

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a slimline pc. But I need a graphics card for it. At least 256mb, but it cant be more than 8cm wide, the metal part, and 10cm wide in total. PCI Ex 16.

I didnt realise this until I just got a card delivered today and it was nearly bigger than the tower lol

Does anyone know of one or where I can get one?

Cheers

Reaction score
martincape said:
Hi,

I just bought a slimline pc. But I need a graphics card for it. At least 256mb, but it cant be more than 8cm wide, the metal part, and 10cm wide in total. PCI Ex 16.

I didnt realise this until I just got a card delivered today and it was nearly bigger than the tower lol

Does anyone know of one or where I can get one?

Cheers

Ebuyer.com Scan.co.uk Overclockers.co.uk What card are you looking at getting?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They are called "low profile" graphics cards ... all the big boys should do 'em ... Amazon do a few. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
In response to you only having a 220W PSU

I would check to see how many watts you actually have left for a graphics card before you hand out some cash.

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
would be what I would use.

After your calculations (including your graphics card) make sure you have at least 10% of your PSU's wattage leftover. Once you get in <10% range of power, your computer could start to see some problems including but not limited to PSU failure.

In my opinion (if you aren't on a strict budget) I would pick out which card I want / fits, and then calculate how many watts I would need in my system. Straight from that buy a new power supply (as they are relatively cheap).

If you do go the route of buying a new power supply for your system, I would leave at least 30% of your PSU wattage open for expansion.

I'm only posting this to bring to your attention that a 220 watt PSU might not be ready to handle any kind of decent computer WITH a graphics card. In the calculator you will find just how much graphics cards can eat your wattage.

cheers

Reaction score
as an inquiry to your question about what is the difference between the two graphics cards posted.

The (XFX)Radeon 4350 has a memory clock speed of 1ghz whereas
the (ASUS)Radeon 4550 has a memory clock speed of 1.6ghz

It all depends on what you want to do with the video card.

For instance, the 4550 is HD (meaning it has HDMI capabilites)
Whereas the 4350 only has HDTV component video output

This means nearly nothing to the average computer user and should be completely ignored unless you are buying the card for that specific purpose.

What I would say to myself is, is the extra buck worth spending on a card that is 160% faster clock speed. **NOTE: Unless you are gaming or something of equivalent load, you don't need the faster clock speed.**

For the price difference I would personally get the 4550 just because of expansion capabilities.
and because ASUS makes such good quality computer componets.

cheers

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just a word of warning on microdirect as a supplier.

General consensus seems to be they are not particularly good and, indeed, untrustworthy.

In plain English that means they're crap :)

Reaction score
I have never personally dealt with microdirect so I could not vouch for or against them. But in my days I think that Newegg.com has provided the best quality products / service I have ever seen.

Not so sure on shipping though as they are located in California, US. and you are located in the U.K. I'm guessing.

I live in Florida (approx. 3,000 miles away) and i get pretty good shipping prices... (U.K. is about twice that far so I don't think shipping would be too expensive...) It would be worth check it out.

www.Newegg.com

<--- newegger for life

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm familiar with New.Egg it does seem to be the preferred supplier amongst US computer peeps.

And no, they won't ship to the UK, I've tried ;)

In fact it's very difficult to get any USA supplier to ship to the UK.

I have had people in the States buy from NewEgg and then send it to me but if Customs here pick up on it by the time you've paid the import duty the very small saving you'll make is hardly worth the bother.

Nice suggestion though :)

Ask a Question