NBTSTAT not returning username

G

Ok here's one nobody can figure out.

I've got a new XP image I'm testing for work. It's joined to a Win2k domai
The Helpdesk uses NBTSTAT to retrieve usernames to confirm they have the right computername when working on a pc remotly

Example senario: I'm currently logged into the XP box (XPImage1) Domain/User1 which has local admin right on the XP bo
If I run NBTSTAT from another pc against XPImage1 it returns the domain and computername but not the user name

NBTSTAT -a XPImage

Name Type Statu
----------------------------------------
XPImage1 <00> UNIQUE Registere
DOMAIN <00> GROUP Registere
XPImage1 <20> UNIQUE Registere
DOMAIN <1E> GROUP Registere

I initially thought i had solved the problem because the Username is supposed to be retrune
by the messenger service, which was disabled. So I reenabled the service and started it
All responses from the messenger service have a <03> Tag on them. After turning messenge
back on and running NBTSTAT against the box again I got this

NBTSTAT -a XPImage

Name Type Statu
----------------------------------------
XPImage1 <00> UNIQUE Registere
DOMAIN <00> GROUP Registere
XPImage1 <20> UNIQUE Registere
DOMAIN <1E> GROUP Registere
XPImage1 <03> UNIQUE Registere

It should have returned one more line that had
"Domain/User1 <03> UNIQUE Registred
but it doesn't

But the weirdest thing is that if I login to the XPImage1 PC with the local ADMINISTRATOR accoun
and then run the nbtstat against it from another pc it works... I get a full response

My question is WHY!!! Why would the messenger service only return the username if the loca
admin is logged into the target pc

Please help me save my sanity

Ask a Question