networking problem

Jeff

Hey

I got 2 computers a home. pcA uses winXPpro+sp2, pcB uses win2k3

These 2 computers are connected to each other via a router.

I've created a Active Directory on the win2k3 computer, and now I wants the
winXP box to join the AD.

Both computers are using static IP

Both compueters have set up a LMHOSTS file:
192.168.1.30 "HOMEAD \0x1b" #PRE
192.168.1.30 PCB #PRE #DOM:HOMEAD
192.168.1.20 PCA

In "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" on the winXP machine, default NetBIOS setting
is selected... should I use "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" instead ??

When I run nbtstat -c from the winXP machine I get this... I think it's a
bit strage that the 3 last lines shows HOMEAD with 2 dots (..) at the end

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.20] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table
Name Type Host Address Life [sec]
HOMEAD <1C> GROUP 192.168.1.30 -1
PCB <03> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1
PCB <00> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1
PCB <20> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1
HOMEAD.. <03> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1
HOMEAD.. <00> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1
HOMEAD.. <20> UNIQUE 192.168.1.30 -1

Here I run nbtstat from the winXP machine against the win2k3 machine:
nbtstat -a PCB
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.20] Scope Id: []
Host not found.

When I try to add the winXP box to the domain, I get this message:
"The domain name HOMEAD might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS."

Please, what should I do to solve this problem?

Jeff said:
[...]

Hi,
Please read the step-by-step guide below then if that didn't help then
either send your question to Active Directory Newsgroup or the Network
Newsgroup, including more info like have you been able to Connect/share
before, what your Anti-Virus Specs, do you Have a AD policy/schema
implemented, does this a new set up and what you want to achieve from your AD
implementation (keep the Real data/objectives away, just general idea!).
Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Technology Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;winsvr2003ad

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/?n=microsoft.public.windows.server.active_director
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...dd8-fd79-4301-9813-2a2497c20996&lang=en&cr=US
HTH.
nass

Jeff

This is a basic AD, I haven't configured any group policy yet.

Both computers are using Windows Firewall with "allow incoming echo request"
enabled

I think the firewall is the problem.... not sure how to fix it

Bubba

Hey Jeff. have you tried to disable the FW temporarily?

I did this in a similar case about two months ago and I could then join the
domain. I also re-enabled the FW. Everything seems to be ok and it's been
about two months.

Cheers :)