NAT question

Daniel Tan

Is it true that NAT can support IP in the range of 192.168.0.x only ?
Can it change to other subnet ? My current network is 192.168.1.x .Pls
advise

Regards,
Daniel

Matt \(IS Team\)

Daniel Tan said:
Is it true that NAT can support IP in the range of 192.168.0.x only ?
Can it change to other subnet ? My current network is 192.168.1.x .Pls
advise

It is not true...
You can have it as whatever you like (within reason)...

__
matt

Dave

in general it is not true, nat can work with any range of ip addresses.
however your router may have other limitations. the common private ip
ranges are 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.*, but as long as you use nat you can use
any internal ip range you like just as long as it isn't propagated out to
the internet.

Daniel Tan

Dave, how to change it ? I changed it but after that it goes back to
the original setting. Btw i only need to set the gateway and dns of my
client and point it to my nat server IP right ? Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Dave

how you change it depends on the device that is doing it.

the gateway has to point to the nat server lan side address. the dns may or
may not be handled by the same device, you may have to point it to your
isp's servers. you should also match the subnet mask with that of the nat
server. and of course the ip address on the machines has to be in the range
the nat server will route.

I think the problem here lays in the settings that are being applied. If your Router is set to be a DHCP Server and your PC is also set to DHCP then it will change back your IP and subnet mask to the range that is defined by your router or NAT Device

You can telnet into the router( NAT Device) or use your browser to access the router and manually change the IP address range of the Router and or server at whim. Furthermore, the IP address that you choose for the device will also regulate your subnet mask. This is just the way it works. The Subnet mask and the IP address, for all intensive purposes, define each other. If you want to develope a range of IP addresses there is a formula off which you can create this range by way of your subnet mask. It seems to me that you have some understanding of subnet masks and IP addresses already

In XP you can still use a DHCP setting on both the NAT device and the PC its self and then define custom user settings to achieve the results you wish to see. First set your router or nat server to the IP address for the subnet that you wish to use. The Subnet its self should be reflective of this change with little or no input from the user. Then When you configure your TCP/IP settings on the PC just go to the Alternate Configuration tab and insert your desired settings. Be sure to set your router as the Default Gateway. If you do not have a router between the PC and the NAT server than set the NAT server as the default gateway. Be sure to insert the DNS servers that your ISP desires to use as well. It is not required, as the DHCP server from your ISP will assign these if you have not already done so

Be leary of NAT updates etc.. XP does not enable port forwarding by default and there are certain updates out there that are required for NAT to work properly, but are not critical unless you need to send files (or recieve virus) over the internet. This update will effectively render you extremelty vunerable and almost completely negates the intended use of NAT. If you use IPSEC VPN or NAT Applications, be sure to use a firewall and virus protection.

Daniel Tan

Dave, i'm using NAT in windows2000 and using static addressing. I
tried to change the default 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.x but it won't
save it. Pls advise.

Regards,
daniel

Dave

now you are asking specifics. to answer specific 'how do i change this'
type of questions you must supply more details. you say nat in windows
2000, is that win2k clients or a win2k server or pro doing ics? or using
some other sharing software? or if they are clients, what is the router
that is doing the nat??

Dave

ok, hopefully someone else is following this thread as i have no experience
with that. i have always done nat in a dedicated router.

Daniel Tan

Phillip
Why does the NAT ip in RRAS can't be changed ?

Regards,
Daniel

Phillip Windell said:
299801 - HOW TO: Configure a Windows 2000 Server as a Network Address
Translation Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299801

310357 - HOW TO: Configure the NAT Service in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Daniel Tan said:
Dave,
i'm using the RRAS nat in W2k server.

Regards,
Daniel

dns
may or
the
nat the
range private
ip 192.168.1.x
.Pls

Phillip Windell

The one in RRAS can,...the one in ICS can't without hacking the registry.

--

Daniel Tan said:
[...]

I tried to change it from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.x but it won;t
accepted. After i click apply and close it. Then i went back to check
it is still 192.168.0.0 .

Regards,
Daniel

Daniel Tan said:
Phillip
I tried to change it from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.x but it won;t
accepted. After i click apply and close it. Then i went back to check
it is still 192.168.0.0 .

Define what you mean by "NAT IP in RRAS"

I have no idea what this question even relates to anymore. I looked back at
what old post I could see and there isn't any coherent description of a
specific problem. Please restate the problem and please try to use accurate
terminology.

Daniel Tan

Phillip
I mean the NAT server own ip. When i click the properties of NAT and
the address assignment tab. By default it is 192.168.0.x but i want to
change it to 190.168.1.x .

Regards,
Daniel

Phillip Windell

OK. Well it is going to be locked to the IP range that the internal nic is
part of. If the IP# of the box is within the 192.168.0.x range than that is
what you are forced to use. If you want to use 192.168.1.x then the nic must
first be re-addresses according to that range, and then you can change
things in RRAS.

Daniel Tan

Hi Phillip
My box ip# is 192.168.1.x but the Nat server ip still is
192.168.0.x . I changed it but when i clicked apply it turned back to
its own thats 192.168.0.x . Anything i need to do to solve it ? Pls
advise

Regards,
Daniel

Daniel Tan said:
My box ip# is 192.168.1.x but the Nat server ip still is
192.168.0.x . I changed it but when i clicked apply it turned back to
its own thats 192.168.0.x . Anything i need to do to solve it ? Pls

I don't know then. Maybe some others here will know. I don't even have a box
running that around here that I can look at.