MyIE2 is now Maxthon

Bob Adkins

One day, I really should start a website on how to get Firefox to get
most of MyIE2 functions. You need a couple of extensions. about 4 I
think.

Hey, do it!

If Firefox can do Groups", I'll be first in line to on your web page! I have
nothing against Firefox other than it's hard to configure to my browsing
habits. In fact, I have found no extensions pertaining to groups so far.

Bob

Bob Adkins

Features in Firefox not in MyIE2:
* type as you find (and not just the links!) Never open a find dialog
again!
* customizable sidebar (any web page -- mine is
http://www.geocities.com/jonathan_aquino/bookmarks.html -- lots of
bookmarklets in there that operate on the *selected* text e.g. Google
search)

Features in MyIE2 not in Firefox:
* visited tabs are distinct from non-visited tabs
* MyIE2 is smart enough to do a Google search if you put spaces in the
address bar -- Firefox throws up an error

Does Firefox do group loading? Can it be configured to unload one group when

Bob

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

On 11 Jul 2004 23:32:12 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (Jonathan
Aquino) wrote:

With TBE, there is a distinction, since it's possible to 'close all
visited tabs'. I would be nice if there were the option to have
visited and unvisited tabs marked differently, which I reckon is what
you mean.

My Firefox will use the default search engine even if there are
spaces; I wonder what is different between our setups.
Does Firefox do group loading?
Yes.

Can it be configured to unload one group when loading another one?

I don't know; a quick look at the options doesn't turn up anything
for me. I always close groups manually.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Have you got it yet? Personally I think the easiest way to go is
just TBE. It might be huge and complicated, but as far as I know
it's ability to restrict browsing to one window is unsurpassed.

The Single Window extension works very well if one's only goal is to
restrict browsing to one window. I used it before I was sure TBE would
work fine with Fx 9.x. That said, I need several of the features of
TBE, and I don't recommend installing more than one extension dealing
with tab behavior.

Bob Adkins

for me. I always close groups manually.

That's what I can't deal with! I got used to Maxthon, and now I can't
remember to close the groups manually! I end up with 999 tabs open! :(

Bob

Jonathan Aquino

encoderX

(e-mail address removed) (Jonathan Aquino) wrote in
(e-mail address removed) (Jonathan Aquino) wrote in message

And another one: Firefox has a great ad banner blocker:
http://texturizer.net/firefox/adblock.html . No need to run a proxy
like Proxomitron.

As a pointer:
Any browser can do ad-blocking just goto:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
and save the file as HOSTS in windows dir/folder:
Instructions also given at above link.
Simple, quick and very effective!

Kind regards

encoderX
http://encoderX.co.uk
Freeware downloads at encoderX

Jonathan Aquino

Mario Alvares said:
Hi Jonathon,

How does this feature work? That is, how are visited tabs distinguished
from non-visited tabs in MYIE2?

Hmm -- I thought I remembered the visited tabs looked a little
different, at least when I was running MyIE2 on Win95 a year ago. But
I just tried it on my XP box and they don't look any different :-(

Aaron

(e-mail address removed) (Jonathan Aquino) wrote in

Hmm we are talking about functions in Firefox not in MyIE2 right?

Technically MyIE2 has it's own content filter in Adhunter's content
filter, and in Maxthon I believe it got a upgrade. Still slightly less
flexible than Firefox's adblock though.
As a pointer:
Any browser can do ad-blocking just goto:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
and save the file as HOSTS in windows dir/folder:
Instructions also given at above link.
Simple, quick and very effective!

Well, yes, but using the hosts file is a bit heavy handed, if you just
want to block some images and not everything in the domain.

Kind regards

encoderX
http://encoderX.co.uk
Freeware downloads at encoderX

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

Aaron

Rod said:
Aaron wrote:
snipped some

Some features in whatever browser are useless to me because I don't
need them, not because I don't use them.

Same difference really.
I didn't crow about anything, read back the thread and please tell me
where I did this.

Remeber if you and Bob, reserve the right to talk about imaginary MS-
bashers and cherry pickers elsewhere, I reserve the right to talk about
other MYIE2 users besides yourself :)

In any case, take the start of this thread, when I stated that Firefox
alone even without extensions had features that was not in MyIE2. The
very next day, I saw a couple of replies (3 in a chain by MyIE users),
doubting that I could come up with even one. Kind of impatient given that
not even a day has gone by. Sounds to me some of them were too eager to
declare "victory" already :)

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

Bob Adkins

Well, yes, but using the hosts file is a bit heavy handed, if you just
want to block some images and not everything in the domain.

There's nothing heavy-handed about using the HOSTS file. Every address or
domain on my HOSTS file is totally worthless.

The HOSTS file I use is smaller than the one that used to come with Windows.

Bob

Aaron

There's nothing heavy-handed about using the HOSTS file. Every address
or domain on my HOSTS file is totally worthless.

True, but those are not the only things you want to block. That is my
point.
The HOSTS file I use is smaller than the one that used to come with
Windows.

Really? I could have sworn that the Hosts file that comes with Windows is
empty.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

Aaron

The Single Window extension works very well if one's only goal is to
restrict browsing to one window. I used it before I was sure TBE would
work fine with Fx 9.x.

It does.

That said, I need several of the features of
TBE,

Yes, there's a thread in mozillazine where people actually discuss using
several smaller extensions to recapture what TBE does (eg add an X on
tabs close, move tabs, singlewindow mode,unclose tabs etc) I think why
borther just use one extension.

and I don't recommend installing more than one extension dealing
with tab behavior.

Indeed, pretty much common sense.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)

Bob Adkins

The one that comes with Windows contains a single entry: 127.0.0.1
localhost.

I thought at least one version of Windows came with a HOSTS file that had a
bunch of addresses in it. My bad... I guess.
Oh and Bob...

This weeks severe IE flaw:

http://secunia.com/advisories/12048/

HA! That site must be under a DOS attack! They're slower than cheese! :)

Any site that classifies anything as "Extremely Critical" is not for me
anyway. Nothing on my computer, or for that matter my computer itself is not
extremely critical or important. "Extremely Critical" would only be for IT
professionals whose jobs are on the line. :)

Bob

Rod

Aaron said:
Same difference really.

No, things I don't use (like features in Firefox) can be useful to me,
things I don't need are not useful to me.
Remeber if you and Bob, reserve the right to talk about imaginary MS-
bashers and cherry pickers elsewhere, I reserve the right to talk
about other MYIE2 users besides yourself :)

I quote: "but features in your favourite browser not in other browsers is
something you like to crow about :) "
Notice the word 'you' ? Again, I didn't crow about that. Do not say things
about people that aren't true.
The bashers I was talking about (just a google group search for threads with
'ie sucks' in the subject shows over 600 hits) are not imaginary, I don't
believe anyone can deny this.
You can talk about MyIE2-users all you want, just don't put them all on one
pile, as you shouldn't with any group, this is how wars start. A discussion
is fine, just stay with the facts
In any case, take the start of this thread, when I stated that
Firefox alone even without extensions had features that was not in
MyIE2. The very next day, I saw a couple of replies (3 in a chain by
MyIE users), doubting that I could come up with even one. Kind of
impatient given that not even a day has gone by. Sounds to me some of
them were too eager to declare "victory" already :)

This is not a war, there aren't winners, this is a discussion, it's meant
for exchanging opinions.
Reading back, I only found 2 people that were doubting you could come up
with those features.
Sounds to me you're jumping to conclusions, stick with the facts please.

Rod

Conor

I thought at least one version of Windows came with a HOSTS file that had a
bunch of addresses in it. My bad... I guess.
Couple of REM lines and the localhost line.
HA! That site must be under a DOS attack! They're slower than cheese! :)

Slashdotted.

Any site that classifies anything as "Extremely Critical" is not for me
anyway. Nothing on my computer, or for that matter my computer itself is not
extremely critical or important. "Extremely Critical" would only be for IT
professionals whose jobs are on the line. :)
Its only another ActiveX flaw anyway and from memory I recall you
turned that crap off anyway.

Aaron

Rod said:
No, things I don't use (like features in Firefox) can be useful to me,
things I don't need are not useful to me.

I got your point of course, my point is replace "things you use" with
"things you need" and it still doesn't matter. What features people
"need" vary from person to person.
I quote: "but features in your favourite browser not in other browsers
is something you like to crow about :) "
Notice the word 'you' ? Again, I didn't crow about that. Do not say
things about people that aren't true.

I hate to say it, but you forced me to. while I reserve the right to talk
about other Myie2 users besides yourself, I was actually talking about
you since you were the lead one in the thread.
The bashers I was talking about (just a google group search for
threads with 'ie sucks' in the subject shows over 600 hits) are not
imaginary, I don't believe anyone can deny this.

Imaginary in this thread. Why bring them up, if they are not a factor in
this thread? As I mentioned to Bob before, sounds to me like it's a very
emotional response that has no place at all in this discussion.
You can talk about MyIE2-users all you want, just don't put them all
on one pile, as you shouldn't with any group, this is how wars start.

Just like you like to imply all firefox users are anti-MS by referring to
them, even when they are not around?
A discussion is fine, just stay with the facts

I would say this is a very good way to start a war, Rod by accusing
someone of not sticking with the facts.
This is not a war, there aren't winners, this is a discussion, it's
meant for exchanging opinions.

Indeed. But the behaviour exhibited in that chain response of the MYIE2
users, made me wonder.
Reading back, I only found 2 people that were doubting you could come
up with those features.

Of course, you exclude yourself. Even if I do give you the benefit of the
doubt, if you are honest with yourself an look at the other 2 responses,
they do contain an element of gloating. Why else post two glorified "me
toos" to your post?
Sounds to me you're jumping to conclusions, stick with the facts
please.

Given that you keep attributing anti-MS sentiments to people who
advocates Firefox, I would say you are as guility as anyone here when it
comes to jumping to conclusions.

Since you are so generous with your advice to me on how to avoid wars,
let me give you one piece of mine free. Generally telling people that
they are "jumping to conclusions" and to "stick to the facts" (implying
they are not) is not likely to endear yourself to them and is likely the
start of a possible flamewar.

Aaron (my email is not munged!)