My Numba 1 PC has stopped working Arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well to start, my missus deleted BOINC as she claimed it slowed down the PC (don't worry i sorted her out for that), however Microsoft Services started shutting down after that, pretty much screwed, it kept BSODing so i turned it off and put it in the spare room, Numba 2 PC stepped up and came into the living room.

So today i went to reinstall Vista on Numba 1 and guess what? It won't bloody work!!!!!!

I thought it can only be a software error, however on closer inspection i think my RAM might have gotten too hot or something.

I had 4 x 2GB Patriot Extreme performance on a ASUS P5N32-E Plus, but i think a DIMM slot or 2 might have melted as i had to use a pair of pliers to get 2 of the sticks out!!!!

So who buys me a new motherboard? Patriot or ASUS???

Worst thing is i can't even pin it on my missus now. :lol:

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
So who buys me a new motherboard? Patriot or ASUS???

Worst thing is i can't even pin it on my missus now.
laughingsmiley.gif

And you can't pin it on Asus or Patriot either... As for not been able to pin it on your missus. You can, just depends how brave you are....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
The Motherboard is dead and so are 2 sticks of RAM, have swopped them into a test setup i have from when i used to build PC's but no joy.

2 sticks of RAM are bust as i cracked the ceramic heat spreaders when i got them out.

I've always had pretty good as well, me dad used to say i could fall in a big pile of poo and get out smelling of roses.

Got a response from Patriot, which was pretty quick, they claim i must have overvolted the RAM myself, which is strange, when i have 8GB why would i need to overclock it???

Oh well, will get my chick to phone ASUS and cry.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
That never works for me anymore.
All this equality for both sexes mean's i just switch off when the water works start!

Sounds like you have cooked the motherboard!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
I didn't cook it, i OC'ed my Q6600 from 2.4 to 3.0 but never touched the RAM, honest.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah i know, i had the CPU and RAM unlinked when i overclocked the CPU.

Anywho things are looking up, thought i would give ASUS a ring and see where i stand.

Forgot i had registered as a VIP member, spoke to one of thier Tech guys, who says it will be the RAM that has killed it, (i like how its never thier fault) and third party components being faulty is not covered under thier warranty.

However as i have registered over 30 products with ASUS and am a VIP member they are going to have the board back for testing, possibly an RMA.

He said worst case i get an alternate motherboard back that has been refurbished, better than nothing.

Phoned Patriot and told em what ASUS said, again my fault apparently the guy was really rude as well, even had a go at me and hung up. Not impressed!

Have used Patriot for a while in other builds for people as its cheap and does the job, won't be using them again and have sent them an email detailing the various Patriot purchases i have made and that i won't be using thier shoddy parts again.

Anyone want to buy 4GB of Patriot RAM? :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Right, that's Patriot off me recommended list then.

One pillock = a million lost sales.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:

Doesn't work for me anymore...Had to resort to doing it mesen, the bird on the other end sounded like she was in pain from all the laughter...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Yeah i know, i had the CPU and RAM unlinked when i overclocked the CPU.

Phoned Patriot and told em what ASUS said, again my fault apparently the guy was really rude as well, even had a go at me and hung up. Not impressed!

Have used Patriot for a while in other builds for people as its cheap and does the job, won't be using them again and have sent them an email detailing the various Patriot purchases i have made and that i won't be using thier shoddy parts again.
What did you have the RAM set at if you set it manually and separate from the CPU overclock?

I use Patriot RAM on all my Q6600 rigs oc'd to 3.42GHz with the RAM manually set at stock (2.2V 4-4-4-12) and I've never had a problem - and if its set at stock volts and settings then surely Patriot can't argue you've overvolted it and testing should prove that.

However it seems that Patriot CS may be a nightmare to deal with and you're not going to get anywhere, so I think I too shall look elsewhere in future....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Just got back from Post Office as ASUS requested that i include the RAM with my Motherboard as they wish to test it.

Ady, the RAM was set at stock, 800Mhz, was unlinked from the CPU, the last time i checked i used CPU-Z the RAM was at 797Mhz.

Not sure of the exact voltage as i left it at Auto, i'm not happy playing with the voltage when i OC so leave it on Auto and just see how far i can get.

Had a successful post and boot into windows at 3.6Ghz but dropped it down to 3.0Ghz.

I have used the same RAM in about 15 machines that i built and not a problem, tried conveying this to thier Tech Support but he wasn't interested.

Oh well, will see what ASUS come up with.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ah I see - leaving the volts on auto may be where the problem lies....

When overclocking the CPU its recommended to set the RAM to stock voltage and timings manually first - setting to stock voltage is perfectly safe and will prevent any possible auto adjustment past stock volts when raising the FSB during the CPU overclock. You then look at changing the RAM settings from stock later if required.

With my overclock to 3.42GHz, going past stock wasn't needed as it was still running at 1:1 with the FSB at 760MHz - even at an overclock of 3.6GHz it will still run at stock 1:1 at 800MHz.

Its possible that either the auto setting selected in the bios during the CPU overclock was over stock and after a prelonged period caused overheating, or maybe a mobo surge has occured sending the RAM auto volts way past stock, or it was indeed the RAM itself - it really is going to be difficult to say whether its the mobo or RAM at fault to be honest.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Right okay, when i get some more RAM i think i will just leave my CPU at stock as i don't use all that power anyway, will see what ASUS say if anything.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Reaction score
Good luck mate hope it goes well.

Let us know how Asus are on RMAs I might be needing 'em at some point but hopefully not. :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Email from ASUSTek UK confirming delivery of me Motherboard, which is nice, at least it wasn't robbed in the post or lost in Royal Mails personal black hole. :lol:

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Email from ASUSTek UK confirming delivery of me Motherboard, which is nice, at least it wasn't robbed in the post or lost in Royal Mails personal black hole.
laughingsmiley.gif

lol that's good for royal mail.

I hope you get it all sorted out soon and will be able to use it again. :)

Regards,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Cheers Wiz,

Me crappy numba 2 PC has stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job at the mo, am considering getting the missus a new laptop as the one she gets as a teacher is crappo, Acer Exstenza!

So if she gets a new laptop, i will probably just keep one PC, so watch this space, lots of imminent bargains about to be had, or my bro will get a serious upgrade on his cheap & crappy PC, just imagine sticking a Q6600 & 9800GTX on a £30 Abit Motherboard :lol:.

Ask a Question