my computer is **** - Do i sell it and buy a ready-built machine?

do i sell it?

• YES - Sell it as a whole computer and let someone else deal with the problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - Sell it as parts & cut my losses

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • NO - keep it as a £600 piece of scrap

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • NO - find problem, fix it, gain good machine

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I didint have the jumper pin in my HDD, so it didnt know if it was master or slave causing it to crash

Reaction score
KGB where do u love

Dorset?

If I lived near u id come down and sort this son of a bitch out for u

i bet its v annoying
dont give in my friend!

look for an answer and selling it all isnt an answer its a joke!

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
ok, how do you know that?
--

I am about to run those programs on it (if i can get it to work)

The only thing i am having my doubts about is the processor. That is the ONLY seccond hand thing in this machine, i couldnt afford a new one.

the rest is brand new.

here are the specs:

P4 2.8GHz (bought from ebay) (with new heatsink & arctic silver)
80GB IDE HDD
512MB RAM
128MB radeon gfx (i know it is rubbish)
500w PSU (jeantech)
DVD+/-RW Drive (samsung)
Floppy Drive

What do you think about the processor?

i wish i did have another pc to test all the stuff in... i only have the laptop.

KGB

Is the ram a single stick or 2x 256Mb sticks?
Have you tried changing their slots in the motherboard?

Just a couple of other possibilities to eliminate - if one of the slots that you have the ram in is not working properly or you have your ram in a combination of slots that doesn't work at full capacity (check your mobo documentation for this) then it might not be detecting the full 512Mb. Sounds a bit lame and I'm sure you've triedbasic stuff like this already, but I'm still convinced it's your memory. Don't give up yet m8...it's all part of the fun - you'll feel great when you get the thing working!:D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
This is probably a mad thought KGB but don't you and Chris live in the same neck of the woods? Is it worth getting together to fault find etc...... - 2 heads better than 1 and all that??

Just a thought..........

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted!!

Gabriella x

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I didint have the jumper pin in my HDD, so it didnt know if it was master or slave causing it to crash
Does this appear to have solved the problem?
If you got a SATA drive, you wouldn't have to worry about jumpers.
Fill your IDE with MP3's and stick it on ebay, you should get enough for it to buy a SATA of the same capacity :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
It must be MOBO since it freezes on the BIOS screen for ages

You know what? My first gut feeling was a faulty motherboard. No logic behind that, just a feeling. It would be the first substitute I'd try (after running memtest of course).

It could also be a corrupted Bios. Which is why I suggested flashing to latest version.

Reaction score
1nteger, 1x 512MB RAM no change in differant slot.

Gabriella, I think i will be ok thanks

everyone, No luck at all, will run programs soon. I am really thinking about selling. the computer is very big and noisy, and i think it would be for the best.

I would like to get the problem sorted before i sell, but i there is nothing wrong with any of my hardware...

Here is what there is definutally nothing wrong with (due to testing in other machines, and replcing with others, and trying without:

Hard Drive
RAM
Power Supply
Floppy Drive
DVD Drive

That only leaves:

GFx
MoBo
CPU

As Ian says, it isnt the CPU and i dont think it could be the GFx, and i also doubt that it is the MoBo

Maybe there is an incombpatability between 2 specific pieces of hardware (like, the motherboard will not run with a MSI GFx card)

Is that possible?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
i wish i did have another pc to test all the stuff in... i only have the laptop.

Here is what there is definutally nothing wrong with (due to testing in other machines, and replcing with others, and trying without:

We appear to, er, have a conflict there.

Seems like you've already made up your mind to sell it, so I give up.

Did you run memtest? Did you flash Bios to latest? (even if you're sure you have latest, re-flashing could sort out a corrupted Bios).

Seems to me you're being offered help by the bucket load but not taking the advice. So be it.

There are lots of people here who will help you flash Bios and take you through running memtest if you need help. You need only ask.

But, you wanna sell, then sell. But I doubt very much whether you'll sell any of it on this Forum after potential purchasers read this thread.

Good luck, I tried, but if you won't at least try people's suggestions here, as far as I'm concerned it's a lost cause.

Reaction score
kgb u went to all this trouble buying this thing putting it together

it would be a great shame if u had to sell it

have u tried everything suggested?

Reaction score
I havent been able to run them, as i am running some stuff on the PC to see if any of the new hardware made a differance.

I will run all the tests ASAP!

Flopps, i managed to test the RAM in the Family Computer, and the rest of the stuff i have replacements for, so unless both the replacement and the original re faulty, that piece of hardware should be ok.

I am taking in this advice. But i have had no-end of problems with this new computer. and as i said it is loud and big. Anyway, i think i will end up keeping this machine as i cant find a replacement for about £500. Sorry if i dont seem appreciative of all your help, i am not not that happy atm.

Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
Okay, seeing as it is a clear "NO" to selling the machine, if i can get it working, i will need some kind of silent fan / cooling and a much smaller case.

Maybe you are all right... after all i did spend a lot of time any money on it.

I will run the programs soon

Reaction score
For the last 2 hours i have been watching a DVD on my computer, i closed the DVD and the computer worked!

No problems. i have restarted 5 times. and it booted every single time.

I dont know what we have done, but it seems to be working!!!

Reaction score
I spoke too soon... it died when trying to connect to the wireless network. will run programs now

Reaction score
Running the memory testing program now. Flopps, you said run for one hour? yes?

Will it finnish, or continue going for ever?

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I spoke too soon... it died when trying to connect to the wireless network. will run programs now

Couldn't that mean the network is the source of your problem? Does it boot ok if you disable the network card?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Running the memory testing program now. Flopps, you said run for one hour? yes?

Will it finnish, or continue going for ever?

About one hour to make sure, yes.

If there are errors, it will let you know. It does quite a few tests, at least twelve or so, then starts again at test number one. Let them run through twice.

And yes, it will keep going for ever unless you stop it. If pressing the right button doesn't stop the program, just hit the reset button.

Looks like the wireless network is the culprit. Are you using onboard LAN or a card? How many computers networked? Hub? Router? Modem/Router? Latest drivers for network?

Reaction score
Memory is fine after one hours testing.

It connects to the wireless router, and there are between 1-5 PC's on at any one time

The thing is, the USB network card will not give me an IP address atm. it comes up with "invalid IP address" which meens i cannot get on the internet.

Maybe this is the whole problem.

Reaction score
You did it guys, you did it.

Whenever i have the USB Network adaptor plugged in to the computer, the computer will not boot.

I forgot to unplug it during testing. but now this happenes.

Thank you all so much!

Ask a Question