MVP's in training... a primer (revised)

Adam Albright

I asked you a while ago to act decently.. you still can't do that, can you..
you have to goad and prod.. :)

I make it easy for a-holes like you to act up. You know you want to, I
just motivate you to act as ill manored as you always do. In brief, I
easily pull your chain. My guess, you get off on attention, good, bad,
you don't care, just so you're noticed. You don't really know much,
you get off pretending you do.

Next.

Doris Day

Mugsy said:
It would be nice if there was a check to see if you were running an
activated/validated version of Windows before you were allowed to post in
any of these news groups. If you're not activated/validated your post
automatically gets deleted.

That would get rid of the Linsux Luzzzzzzzzers once and for all.
What would be even nicer is if Wintards like you had a clue about Usenet.

Love and Kisses,
Doris

Tom Porterfield

Alias said:
Not relevant. Most modem faxes are not compatible with Linux because,
well, they're made for Windows. Same is true for printers without a lot
of configuration which I am not up to and I need a new printer anyway.
When I buy the appropriate hardware, installing it is a breeze.

It may not be relevant to you as you are willing to take the time and/or
spend the money to get your computer working. Most folks expect to be
able to purchase a PC and have it work pretty much out of the box.
Don't get me wrong, Windows isn't perfect, never has been. But until
there is widespread driver support, until there are a multitude of
choices in application suites, until there is strong support available
for the typical home user, the demand for Linux will largely remain with
techies and those willing and able to go through the necessary pains
required to get it working with anything other than the most common
hardware and peripheral devices and Linux just isn't going to make a
major dent in the overall PC install base.

Apple on the other hand, can say something in this area. They have the
support and the capability to quickly expand their share of the PC
install base. If MS doesn't stay on their A game (and some here say
they've already fallen off their A game) then Apple is well positioned,
better so than any other alternative, to quickly increase their share of
the OS usage pie. It would take but a few well planned moves on their
part to pounce on any such opportunity. Only time will tell if Jobs has
the vision and guts to make such a move. The perception is that he has
it, but so far Apple hasn't really made a move.
Your lame attempt to indirectly denigrate the messenger rather than
addressing the message is noted.

There was no attempt at all to denigrate you. You've made my point
quite well on Linux though, thank you. And you're not talking with
someone who is a die hard Windows fan. For a long time now I have had
at least one Linux distro or another installed, including the latest
Ubuntu. I did attempt at one time to switch completely to Linux, but
like you ran into issues with some of my hardware devices where it was a
great pain getting them to work, and even then the functionality was not
as good as the same hardware with drivers under Windows. And I could
not find, even through commercial avenues, the same quality of
applications that I had grown accustomed to using under Windows.

Windows has its flaws, but for now it has the widest hardware support
and the highest quality and largest choice of software applications of
any OS available today. My favorite version is XP with SP2. I am using
Vista now as my main OS, and was even able to get my old '98 Umax
scanner working with it, though not easily. I still sometimes miss the
wider hardware support and overall higher level of finish of XP SP2.

norm

Richard said:
Who the hell is noone. Oh! You mean no one.
No wonder you use Linsux.
Richard, have I insulted you or made denigrating remarks about you? You
have no idea as to why I use linux, nor do you know anything about what
else I might use. Last time I checked, simply using something other than
an ms os and posting in this group was not an offense deserving of any
lack of respect. I have not made any attempt to evangelize, nor have I
called vista by any of the pet derogatory nicks that seem to be used
regularly by detractors. Please direct your snide remarks to those who
might actually earn your ire, not to someone just because of the use of
a particular os. Thanks.

Drew

I have read these newsgroups for yrs and I have got to say how frickin tired
I am getting with all the children who seem to post crap like this that has
NO PLACE HERE !!!....Since when is it a MVP's job to fix YOUR computer....It
seems to me that if I buy a computer I better damm well learn how to run
it,,fix it,,upgrade it or what ever MYSELF and ONLY if I am not sure of
something ask an opinion...I do not know anywhere near as much as a lot of
the people here but I would rather mess it up and learn from my mistake
rather than come here and expect someone else to do MY job.....There are a
FEW people that are having problems with Vista NOT the untold millions that
some of you idiots seem to think I am sure....A LOT not all are too busy
going on about operating systems that have no business being whined about
here.....Since when is a MICROSOFT newsgroup designed for people using
WINDOWS products a site to go on and on and on and on about Linux or Mac's
??? Geez if you like that crap so much go hang out there NOT here...IF you
do not like Vista shut down your computer and throw it out the frickin
window or go back to XP....Don't whine all the time because YOU cannot get
it working right...A lot of us here have moved on from XP and have already
decided that Vista is here and it is not going anywhere and we are working
with it not WHINING about it.....You children make it hard for someone to
come here and help somebody else when by the time I get through HALF your
drivel I just want to not try......To the MVP's out here who by the way I
have never had a problem with nor have I been spoken down to by ANY of them
and have always helped me if I needed it I apologize for this

Adam Albright

I have read these newsgroups for yrs and I have got to say how frickin tired
I am getting with all the children who seem to post crap like this that has
NO PLACE HERE !!!....

Yea, you are right, MVPs often act like a bunch of spoiled children.
[...]
"john" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Talk about a run on sentence. LOL!

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"I just motivate you to act as ill manored as you always do. In brief,
I easily pull your chain."
And that is a good description of a troll.

Adam Albright

"I just motivate you to act as ill manored as you always do. In brief,
I easily pull your chain."
And that is a good description of a troll.

Ok fine. What's you excuse for trolling this newsgroup?

You see the way it works I can say whatever I want and you're suppose
to smile and take it. I don't benefit from adding three meaningless
letters behind my name, I don't do that to boast, or pretend I passed
some test or quiz of knowledge I'm suppose to have nor do I try to
market myself or to try to sell whatever you're trying to push.
However since you do have MVP behind your name Microsoft does expect
you clowns to BEHAVE yourselves in THEIR newsgroups since you are
suppose to be their unofficial representatives and you PROMISED to
follow rules of conduct which include NOT mouthing off to Microsoft's
customers, which by the way includes me. Besides, I'm a Microsoft
stockholder, and I do NOT like the constant disrespect shown by MVPs
to people posting here simply looking for help.

Can you take a hint why so many MVPs are disliked here?

No? Then you not trying hard enough to figure it out.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"since you are suppose to be their unofficial representatives"
FALSE.
MVPs do NOT represent Microsoft officially or unofficially.

"you PROMISED to follow rules of conduct"
MVPs have the SAME rules as everyone else, no more and no less.

But then you already know that but your agenda requires you to
overlook a few facts now and then.

"you clowns"
Your need to insult to bolster your point is noted.
Those secure with their beliefs have no need to insult as you seem to
need.

Alias

Tom said:
It may not be relevant to you as you are willing to take the time and/or
spend the money to get your computer working.

I have another computer with XP SP2 on it so I am in no hurry.
Most folks expect to be
able to purchase a PC and have it work pretty much out of the box.

Sad to say, the computer that I have installed Ubuntu on used to be an
HP which didn't work well "out of the box". The DVD didn't work and it
came with only 128 MB or RAM. It also came with a coupon to upgrade to
Win Me which I did. When I called to complain about the DVD, HP told me
I had violated my warranty by installing Win Me and offered to sell me
128MB of ram for over 100 euros!

Don't
get me wrong, Windows isn't perfect, never has been. But until there is
widespread driver support, until there are a multitude of choices in
application suites, until there is strong support available for the
typical home user, the demand for Linux will largely remain with techies
and those willing and able to go through the necessary pains required to
get it working with anything other than the most common hardware and
peripheral devices and Linux just isn't going to make a major dent in
the overall PC install base.

Linux is getting better at recognizing hardware.
Apple on the other hand, can say something in this area. They have the
support and the capability to quickly expand their share of the PC
install base. If MS doesn't stay on their A game (and some here say
they've already fallen off their A game) then Apple is well positioned,
better so than any other alternative, to quickly increase their share of
the OS usage pie. It would take but a few well planned moves on their
part to pounce on any such opportunity. Only time will tell if Jobs has
the vision and guts to make such a move. The perception is that he has
it, but so far Apple hasn't really made a move.

Most people already have a computer and don't want to spend so much
money on an Apple. With what it costs to buy a Mini Mac here, you could
buy a PC with a nice 19 inch TFT monitor. Linux can be installed on most
computers that people have.
There was no attempt at all to denigrate you. You've made my point
quite well on Linux though, thank you. And you're not talking with
someone who is a die hard Windows fan. For a long time now I have had
at least one Linux distro or another installed, including the latest
Ubuntu. I did attempt at one time to switch completely to Linux, but
like you ran into issues with some of my hardware devices where it was a
great pain getting them to work, and even then the functionality was not
as good as the same hardware with drivers under Windows. And I could
not find, even through commercial avenues, the same quality of
applications that I had grown accustomed to using under Windows.

For most people, if their printer, scanner and camera will work, don't
need Auto CAD or some program that only runs well on Windows.
Windows has its flaws, but for now it has the widest hardware support
and the highest quality and largest choice of software applications of
any OS available today. My favorite version is XP with SP2. I am using
Vista now as my main OS, and was even able to get my old '98 Umax
scanner working with it, though not easily. I still sometimes miss the
wider hardware support and overall higher level of finish of XP SP2.

I like XP and have been using it for some time. I don't like the
activation and WGA crap, which is why I am biting the learning curve
bullet of Linux.

Alias

Adam Albright

"since you are suppose to be their unofficial representatives"
FALSE.
MVPs do NOT represent Microsoft officially or unofficially.

So adding MVP behind you name is done because:

1. it gives you a rush.
2. you're into hero worship.
3. it pumps up your already bloated ego

Odd, if you only wanted to help, then you don't need MVP tacked on.
Several people here besides me that give help, totally free, no
strings attached and nothing expected in return either.
"you PROMISED to follow rules of conduct"
MVPs have the SAME rules as everyone else, no more and no less.

Not a bit surprised you're clueless about what Microsoft expects from
it's MVPs:

Rules of Conduct

Appropriate Language: The purpose of our communities is to exchange
technical information and expertise about Microsoft products. Please
avoid personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your interactions.

Relevance to Topics: Please make sure that your postings in newsgroups
and chats are relevant to the subject at hand. It is normal for some
topics to drift from the stated subject. However, to ensure maximum
benefit for everyone, we encourage you to keep your postings as close
to the subject as possible.

Advertising/Solicitation: These communities were created as a forum
for providing peer-to-peer assistance related to using Microsoft
products and services. We ask that you refrain from posting
unsolicited advertisements that do not pertain directly to the
intended use and purpose of the newsgroup or chat.

Confidentiality: Please keep in mind that our communities are public
spaces, so don't post anything that you don't want the world to see.
Credit card numbers, product keys, and other confidential information,
including anything covered under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA),
should not be posted to a newsgroup, chat, or other community.

John Barnes

Yup. Said he has unsubscribed to Vista newsgroups in his specialty groups.
Big loss here in my opinion. Hope he reconsiders later.

Mike Hall

More words of an intensely jealous being.. lol.. don't you wish you that you
were half the man of the people whose name you use as an alias here?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Mike Hall

Maybe Alias or one of the other trolls can replace him.. all of the decent
folk here are hoping that he reconsiders..

John Barnes said:
Yup. Said he has unsubscribed to Vista newsgroups in his specialty
groups. Big loss here in my opinion. Hope he reconsiders later.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Adam Albright

More words of an intensely jealous being.. lol.. don't you wish you that you
were half the man of the people whose name you use as an alias here?

Keep dreaming kid, you're some act. Real experts, regardless of their
field of expertise never need to tack on MVP to try to feel important.
In fact the real experts wouldn't be caught dead with that albatross
hanging from their neck. Far more important to remain objective ans
tell it straight and keep one's respect then to sell your soul for
peanuts.

Adam Albright

More words of an intensely jealous being.. lol.. don't you wish you that you
were half the man of the people whose name you use as an alias here?

You're so full of yourself people can smell the stink of you right
through Usenet.

Adam Albright

Maybe Alias or one of the other trolls can replace him.. all of the decent
folk here are hoping that he reconsiders..

There isn't any topic the so-called trolls haven't addressed far
better than all the MVPs combined. Sorry if facts make you choke.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"So adding MVP behind you name is done because..."
Keep your assumptions coming.
As many yours are not true and show more of you than anyone else.
Obviously you know little about MVPs.

Read my post again, possibly for the first time.
while at it, read yours and the link you provided.
NOTHING in that link suggests anyone MVP or otherwise has different
Rules of Conduct.
I will repeat what you seem to have missed:
"MVPs have the SAME rules as everyone else, no more and no less."
You appear "clueless about what Microsoft expects from it's MVPs"
since nothing more is expected than is expected from anyone else.
Of course if you ignore the proper link as you conveniently have, it
is easy for you to assume based on facts true only in your
imagination.
Try this link for the facts:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
Particularly 5 & 8