Multiple Session Of wmiprvse.exe

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have got multiple sessions of wmiprvse.exe in my tasklist and the memory usage is high because of these processes.I have scanned the system using Adaware as well as ez Trust AV but nothing seems wrong to them .As i know about the multiple sessions of svchost.exe, can anyone tell me more about wmiprvse.exe and if it runs in multiple sessions.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows® Management Instrumentation (WMI) is a component of the Microsoft® Windows® operating system that provides management information and control in an enterprise environment. By using industry standards, managers can use WMI to query and set information on desktop systems, applications, networks, and other enterprise components. Developers can use WMI to create event monitoring applications that alert users when important incidents occur.

In earlier versions of Windows, providers were loaded in-process with the Windows Management service (WinMgmt.exe), running under the LocalSystem security account. Failure of a provider caused the entire WMI service to fail. The next request to WMI restarted the service.

Beginning with Windows XP, WMI resides in a shared service host with several other services. To avoid stopping all the services when a provider fails, providers are loaded into a separate host process named Wmiprvse.exe. Multiple instances of Wmiprvse.exe can run at the same time under different accounts: LocalSystem, NetworkService, or LocalService. The WMI core WinMgmt.exe is loaded into the shared Local Service host named Svchost.exe.
Note: wmiprvsw.exe is the Sasser worm!
;)

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/wmiprvse.exe.html

This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and the website address!!

HI Muckshifter,

Thanks for resolving the issue as i was a bit confused about the process and also the website address.Its quite useful.

Ask a Question