msn messenger and windows messenger

G

hi, ive downloaded msn messenger and ive got windows messenger aswell. It keeps on signing into the windows messenger when i never use that one and it is also saying that im signed in on another computer but its on my computer but through the other messgenger. any ideas how to fix it?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Michael,

What's happening is Windows Messenger is trying to sign in as well as MSN Messenger. To
disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'
(depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay
out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

G

Hi Jonathan
I encountered the same problem as Michaeil and actually have already done all the things you suggested, however when I boot up my machine and get an internet connection, Windows Messenger is still apparently running because I'll get IM's from people sporadically when I haven not signed in and it's not running in the background. Any thoughts
Both of the boxes you mentioned below are unchecked

Thanks
Jarett Weinpe
(e-mail address removed)
----- Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote: ----

Greetings Michael

What's happening is Windows Messenger is trying to sign in as well as MSN Messenger. T
disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK)
click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' o
'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow thi
program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background
(depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remot
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it sta
out of your way

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it t
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antiviru
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus')
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.co

G

same happenin in 2 me - but i just disabled it in norton
antivirus - so ill restart and c wat its like now...
-----Original Message-----

Hi Jonathan,
I encountered the same problem as Michaeil and
actually have already done all the things you suggested,
however when I boot up my machine and get an internet
connection, Windows Messenger is still apparently running
because I'll get IM's from people sporadically when I
haven not signed in and it's not running in the
background. Any thoughts?
Both of the boxes you mentioned below are unchecked.

Thanks,
Jarett Weinpel
(e-mail address removed)
----- Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote: -----

Greetings Michael,

What's happening is Windows Messenger is trying to
sign in as well as MSN Messenger. To
disable Windows Messenger, open it up (click Start,
then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and
uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts'
(depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows
Messenger to run in the background'
(depending on version). This won't remove Windows
Messenger, so features like Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will
continue to work, but it will let it stay
out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed?
Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can
conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton
Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the
clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck
MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

Ask a Question