MSN Messenger 6.1 problems

K

K

Just installed 6.1. After signing in, it signs in and
then immediately signs back out. What's the deal?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings K,

As a quick solution (note that this will remove your custom emoticons, display pictures,
etc.), close MSN Messenger (right-click its icon in the system tray/notification area, by the
clock and choose Exit).

Then if you're using Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition (ME), click Start, then Run,
type:
%windir%
and click OK.
The Windows folder should then open, you then may need to click the "Show Files" or "View the
entire contents of this folder" links to actually show what's currently in the folder. Then
double-click the Application Data folder, then double-click the Microsoft folder, then
right-click the MSN Messenger folder, choose Delete and then confirm the operation.
Note: if you're using Profiles with Windows 98/ME, you'll need to go to the Profiles folder,
choose your username and then go to the Application Data folder (then continue with the same
process). If you don't know if you have Profiles setup, most likely you do not (if you don't
have Profiles folder in the \Windows folder, then you aren't).

If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, click Start, then Run, type:
%appdata%\microsoft
and click OK.
Then right-click the MSN Messenger folder, choose Delete, and then confirm the operation.

After you've removed the MSN Messenger folder, simply restart MSN Messenger by going to the
Start button, (All) Programs, and MSN Messenger 6.1. Then try signing in again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

M

morgan

im having the exact same problem, and so far havent found
anything that can help me, my g/f had this problem too,
she ended creating a bunch of new accounts and redoing
everyuthing and it eventually worked...i dont want to do
this, there has to be some like virus or somthing thats
causing it. any help would be apreciated

Ask a Question