Mike

Hi;
Running wind xp home on Dell 2.4 gig processor with 265 mg sd ram
Upgraded from msn messenger 4.7 to 6.1 and now I keep getting a box message
that says "You have signed into messenger on another computer. Click here to
sign in again"
This happens after I connect to the internet.Then it says"You have been
signed out of messenger please try again"
I have all my contacts up and their status is there.
Otherwise everything is fine
Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Mike,

MSN Messenger 6.1 is not an upgrade to Windows Messenger 4.7, it's a separate application --
as such, what's signing you in is Windows Messenger.

To correct this, click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK. When Windows Messenger
comes up, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this program
when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version)
and then click OK.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed? Norton added a new "instant messaging
scanning" feature to Norton Antivirus 2003, which can conflict with Messenger and cause some
of this behavior. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon
in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click
Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

Finally, right-click on the Windows Messenger icon in the notification area/system tray (by
the clock) if it's still visible and choose Exit. It shouldn't bother you again.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

M

Mike

Thanks Jonathan, looks like it solved the problem.
Yes I have Norton Antivirus 2003, and unchecked the messenger scanning.

Thanks Again
Mike

Ask a Question