MSFT AntiSpyware slows down Office 2003

Val

Team -

I got this started at the office discussion group and now
it seems I am having an issue with AntiSpyware slowing
down the opening process of my Office files after I use
hyperlinks in the Office files.

I uninstalled the AntiSpyware but my problem has not been
resolved. I am suspecting the regular "clean" uninstall
of AntiSpyware is not going to cut it. How do I remove
ALL components of the AntiSpyware?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a script from the Office group:

Great detective work. Unfortunately, I can't offer much
more in the way of
ideas, as this is way out of my area of expertise.
Hopefully someone more
knowledgeable in this area will pop in, though.

I did do a quick Google Groups search on ~df *.tmp, and
it seems that those
are MS Spyware files (according to most of the stuff I
saw, anyway).

The jet *.tmp stuff, though, sounds like the Jet database.
http://tinyurl.com/azrmf I think Access -- at least older
versions of
Access, not sure about 2003 -- relies on it, but I don't
know what to tell
you about fixing the problem you're having. Unless those
files are hanging
around in the temp folder because the spyware stuff is
scanning the
Jet**.tmp files.

I think I'd be tempted to uninstall (or at least disable,
if that's
possible) the spyware beta at this point. I'd have
thought turning it off
via msconfig would work, but maybe not.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP]
http://www.echosvoice.com

in message
OK,

I had disabled all startup items in the startup tab and
restarted my
machine
(followed the msconfig routine like you suggested
below). Still got the
same
issue. Office was acting fine. Once I tried using hyperlinks in Access, it
became sluggish. So, disabling the startup items did not work. :(

I was reading more posts here and they suggested running %temp% in the
start>>run prompt. So I opened the %temp% folder and was able to clear all
but 2 temp files!! I could not delete a file named Jet****.tmp and another
file named ~DF****.tmp.

So I restarted my machine and played with Office 2003 while keeping my eye
on the %temp% folder. Every time I opened/closed Office files *.tmp files
were created and then removed. The same happened when I
used Access
without
clicking on any hyperlinks on my forms. After I closed
Access all *.tmp
files
were deleted from the %temp% folder. It was totally empty.

However, after I reopened Access and clicked on the hyperlinks on my forms
and then closed the Access file, out of 4 previously
opened temp files,
two
closed fine and two got "stuck" in the %temp% folder. One of them was
Jet****.tmp, and the other one was ~DF****.tmp.

Once these files were stuck in the %temp% folder, Office 2003 became
sluggish. A one pager Word document took almost 35 seconds to open.

So this seems like good progress. Could this be the
clue?

Yesterday :)

I ran the disc cleanup yesterday too, before I ran the
defragmentation
utility. My available hard drive space is at 70%.

One program I do not have issues with is Outlook. Go
figure!! Outlook works
like a clock. Opening Word/Excel attachments from Outlook
however is sluggish
as well.

You know how the patient usually suspects what's wrong
with her/him before
the doctor can figure that out? As a "patient" I suspect
there is something
goofy going on with Access. It might "leave" something
open in the back end
after I play with the MS Access 2003 file and try
clicking on its hyperlinks
and that "hole" in the back end somehow drags the entire
Office afterwards.
That's just my gutt feeling.

Also, to support that "patient" assumption, I tried
opening Office files
while having my Task Manager running and I did not notice
any significant
changes in CPU utilization and memory use in either case
(before using
hyperlinks in MS Access and afterwards). It feels like
Office is sitting out
there and waiting for some response or something. And
after it gets its
response, it opens my file.

That's the patient's side of the story :)

Thank you so much for your help.

Bill Sanderson

Echo is quite right about the tmp files. Feel free to delete those.

Users of some Office versions have reported that, in some installations,
Microsoft Antispyware results in a significant lag--seconds--in opening,
say, a Word document, by clicking on the document.

I don't have a clear technical understanding of what is happening here, but
removing the real-time protection component of Microsoft Antispyware
relieves the symptom.

Uninstalling should do that much and more. A reboot may be necessary,
however--have you rebooted since the uninstall?

Yes, the uninstall leaves quite a bit behind. No, those items should not be
of concern in terms of performance of your machine--certainly no executable
code is left running.

--

Val said:
[...]

Miss Perspicacia Tick said:
And the last time you defragmented was...?

Donna

I have Office 2002 and MAS slowed it way down, too. I
didn't realize what was causing it till I read the posts.
It also made my Quicken 2004 practially unusable. I
couldn't put in my password. I unistalled and reinstalled
Qucken several times, and still had the same problem. I
uninstalled MAS and all my problems and "lagging" went
away. I loved the program, but until the "bugs" are out,
I don't think I will re-install it. Thanks for this
forum, as I now realize it wasn't my computer at all. It
was MAS. I will keep checking in to see if the bugs are
out and re-download as I really liked it.

Val said:
[...]

Miss Perspicacia Tick said:
CiceroINFJ wrote:
Team,

Any Office 2003 file I try to open (Word, Excel, Access) or even IE
are sluggish. Once I double-click the file name I
get
an hour glass
and then after 15 - 30 seconds delay I get a shell
of
the Office
Application (say, Word) and maybe in another 3 - 5 seconds, I get the
contents of the file I am opening.

I noticed that this behavior begins after I use Access 2003 files
which contain hyperlinks (both to the web and file shares).
Restarting a computer helps but it is not the
fastest
solution :)
I tried all the suggestions in this category -

the location of the file makes no difference -
Office
files open
slowly from various locations on my machine or if opened from a
network location
cleared all of my temp files
verified the JetEngine's version, it's the most recent one
ran detect and repair and even (!)
uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Office 2003.

Nothing seems to help. As an FYI - I am getting the same issue now at
my home computer. Both work and home machines are XP Professional and
both are running Office 2003. One has AV and the other does not. Both
have firewall enabled. My home computer is a brand new Toshiba
running XP Tablet PC edition 2005. The work computer is a 1 1/2
year-old HP.

Please help if you have any clues on what is wrong.

Thank you :)

And the last time you defragmented was...?

.

Bill Sanderson

I would definitely re-try when Beta2 appears. I'm not certain what
combination of factors causes this issue, but it is seen by comparitively
few of the 10's of thousands of installs.

--

Val said:
[...]

news:D366D72A-73A9-4225-8326- (e-mail address removed)...

: