Word MS Word Forms + Macro question

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but couldn't see anything which looked more appropriate.

I have a document which, at the beginning, has a section for contact details – first name, surname, address, postcode etc. Each of these I’ve done as a form.

Throughout the rest of the document, the person’s name is used in various places. I’ve placed forms throughout the document (in between the static text which is the same for each copy).

What I’d like to happen; when filling in the information in the document, when the ‘first name’ form is completed, the content of it is then copied automatically into the other appropriate forms through the document. I did some google’ing but am not really sure of what I’m looking for.

Any help/advice on this issue would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
mshanks said:
nevermind - solved using Ref

As you chose to come on aforum and ask for help..HOw about sharing your answer with othres...Would be nioce...Oh and howdy doody and welcome tothe forum.......
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
As you chose to come on aforum and ask for help..HOw about sharing your answer with othres...Would be nioce...Oh and howdy doody and welcome tothe forum.......
laughingsmiley.gif
They have gone, probably for good or until the next problem!:p

Reaction score
feckit said:
They have gone, probably for good or until the next problem!:p

When I ws a kid, i'm talking 30 years ago, If I showed no maners me Da would tek me, to out house, with "Big belt" and thrash me a*se, until I begged for forgiveness.....

Yeah they are more than likey gone.....
nod.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Nah not gone :)

Sorry for not putting a more detailed explanation (well, putting any explanation) - was still at work earlier.

Anyhoo - as said; solved using Ref

The first form field I had I bookmarked as pmcName

Where I wanted the content of that form to appear through the rest of the document, I used;

Insert -> Field

From the popup box, selected Ref

From the list of options along the right (select "hide code" in bottom right if you don't see a list of options), I chose pmcName

Oh, also; edit properties of form (pmcName) and tick the box to tell it to execute on exit (this forces all the Ref fields in the document to update themselves).

Probably not the most elegant solution (tabbing through the protected doc I think still goes through the Ref fields which would be nice to not have to as there's a lot of them through the document but no matter (might actually be imagining this - will test when back in work tomorrow - not got Office at home here!)).

Ask a Question