Word Word 2003: Macro to Detect Changes

Reaction score
Hi

Can any help with getting a macro to detect when a word document has been changed?

I am trying to automate the publishing and revision process of reports, made using Word 2003 . I have a 'publish' button on a bespoke tool bar which makes a copy 'read only' file incorporating the date and revison letter in to the file name and prints a pdf copy (although the user has to complete the pdf process). I then want to detect when the document has been changed, so that a watermark is added indicating that the document have been altered but not yet issued.

I can get macros working to ensure 'track changes' is turned on and off as appropriate and create the appropiate watermark is added but I can not get a reliable means of detecting, within a macro, if changes have been made since the last publication (or last saved would do). I tried putting a 'DOCPROPERTY Bytes ' field in the document and reading that in to the macro but that did not detect when, for example, when a 1 became a 2.

Any ideas how I can access the variable Word uses to show the "Save Changes" box when closing a changed document?

Many thanks

Brian

Reaction score
I'm not good with Word VBA at all, but would it be possible to have the first edit add the watermark, and then have the publish button remove it? I couldn't tell you how to do that, but it's just a thought, you seem to have a grasp of VBA above my own. Good Luck!

Ask a Question