ms-word creates html dash problem for front page

i am using ms-word to transform a 300+ pages manual to html.... the output
file contains many "_" marks at the beginning of only some blank lines....

how can i prevent the occurrence of these "-" characters??

Thomas A. Rowe

You need to post to the Word Newsgroup, as this is not an FP issue, since it is Word that is
creating the HTML pages.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Mike Mueller

Don't use Word to create HTML pages.

"jack w. bonney vancouver" <jack w. bonney
:i am using ms-word to transform a 300+ pages manual to
html.... the output
: file contains many "_" marks at the beginning of only some
blank lines....
:
: how can i prevent the occurrence of these "-" characters??

Wally S

Don't use Word to create HTML pages.

Ditto. You can drag the .doc file onto an empty page in FP, and FP will
transform it into html. You may need to remove a <font> tag that Word puts
in at the beginning of the file. Other than that, there should be no
problems.

Wally S

Andrew Murray

Using msword and converting to html or copy/pasting into Frontpage is no
mean feat and gives unpredictable results.

Frontpage is not a word processor, and Word is not an HTML editor, so you
will have formatting problems.....

You'd be better off typing the whole thing from scratch (yes, I know you
said three hundred pages, but believe me that would be easier than hoping
Frontpage can sort out the mess created from Words "conversion" to HTML or
copy and pasting from Word)......

It might be worth just providing the word document/manual in your web site,
with a link to it. Or consider conversion to PDF as well.

"jack w. bonney vancouver" <jack w. bonney
news:[email protected]...

Wally S

Sorry, but I don't agree. See my post above. I've been dragging MS Word .doc
files into FP for years without ever a problem. It works as smoothly as you
could want. You don't get unpredictable results or formatting problems. But
your .doc file should simply be text without photos or graphics. Tables will
come through okay.

Wally S