Windows XP MS Server 2003 Questions...

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to buy a server for a small business, and want to know what the difference between:

1) Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition

-- and --

2) Microsoft Windows Small Business Server R2 2003, Standard Edition

Small Business server is several hundred pounds cheaper, why? what can't it do?

And, are the "Client Licenses" just how many consecutive computers you can have attatched to them?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
"Client Licenses" are how many pc's you can put the software on, normally done as 5, 10 or 20+.
Small Business Server is designed more for a smaller network than a mainframe server.
1st link is the Microsoft Server site and the 2nd is for Server 2003.
More info at MS
And Server2003

Last edited:
Reaction score
For your task i would recommend Windows 2003 Standard, it has the best range of facilities for networking and providing what you wanted as per our conversation on MSN.

The CAL licenses are basically how many workstations you can have connected to your 'Mainframe' or 'Domain' as such, you must have enough licenses to cover your range of workstations, otherwise you'd be breaching their terms.

It's well worth getting MS W2K3 STD however, and if you need any help implementing it mate, just give me a shout on MSN, i use it every single day to monitor and administrate various company networks.

Ask a Question