Mozilla Quantum

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Too early to say anything but it is bloody fast! It is in beta at the moment and officially it will be released on November 14. If anyone downloaded and used it, let us know how it is going for you. Following is the US version but I guess just google for UK version and you are good to go.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/#beta

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this before - but it looks like it does have some pretty major improvements:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/27/firefox-quantum-double-speed-twice-fast-browser-mozilla/

After announcing plans for Project Quantum late last year, Mozilla has now launched its overhauled Firefox in beta stage, making it an increasingly imminent challenge to Chrome. And it's a very feasible challenge too, given the browser's improvements. Speed is its main selling point -- Mozilla says Quantum is roughly twice as fast as Firefox was a year ago. This is largely due to a new CSS engine written in Mozilla's programming language, Rust, which operates across cores rather than as a single memory-hungry process on one core. It also priorities tabs, loading up in-use tabs before background ones, which Mozilla says makes Quantum 30 percent more RAM-efficient than Chrome. The team has also tracked down and eliminated 469 bugs that were contributing to slowness.

As soon as this launches, I'll be downloading it :).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I gave it a go and it was nice and fast. The last 2 days I kept getting the message " FF is not responding " and it would actually lock my PC completely so I would have to reboot. Back to normal FF now.

Ask a Question