Moving user profile from an old drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2006.

    Had a PC die, so it was replaced.

    There were important files on the old PC, the user never backed up the files
    to any other media. I installed the OLD drive in the NEW PC as an extra
    drive. But can not get to the files saved under secured profiles. I know
    the user names and passwords. But can not figure out how to log in to
    authenticate to those users. I set the PC up with the same user name as the
    old PC but obviously it did not work for the data on the OLD drive.

    When I browse to the folder in my documents\profile my access is denied.

    Is there some way I can pull the profiles off of the old drives so that they
    are identical, then when I sign in everything would match up??

    I tried creating a user on the new PC with the same rights and even password
    as were on the old PC, same name, ect. Did not work. I also tried creating
    an admin account on the new PC, still did not work.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Rick

    Guest, Mar 6, 2006

    Malke Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > Had a PC die, so it was replaced.
    >
    > There were important files on the old PC, the user never backed up the
    > files
    > to any other media. I installed the OLD drive in the NEW PC as an
    > extra
    > drive. But can not get to the files saved under secured profiles. I
    > know
    > the user names and passwords. But can not figure out how to log in to
    > authenticate to those users. I set the PC up with the same user name
    > as the old PC but obviously it did not work for the data on the OLD
    > drive.
    >
    > When I browse to the folder in my documents\profile my access is
    > denied.

    (snip)

    You don't need to "pull profiles" off the old drive, just the data. All
    you need to do is take ownership of the files.

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Mar 6, 2006

    I will give it a try. Thanks so much, the user will be very releived if this
    works. Will save me much grief. Hopefully a lesson will be learned!

    Rick

    Guest, Mar 6, 2006