Linking new phone to computer.

Reaction score
My old Sony phone packed in and I now want to link my new Samsung phone to the PC instead. The current Phone app on the PC is asking me to scan a QR code to link to my old Sony! How do I set it up for my new phone?

Reaction score
Hi Evan Thanks for your reply but I know how to connect my phone and transfer files from the phone to the PC. What I actually want is to set up the Phone App so that my Phone can be used (to some extent) actually from my PC. Ie access data , send texts etc. This was set up before, for my Sony Xperia Z5 and the app is now expecting me to reconnect with my Sony Phone!! I don't want this as I need to set it up for my Samsung S20FE. Currently the App is asking me to scan a QR code to set up my old Sony. Should I just scan this QR code with my new Samsung. Will this reset the app to my new phone or will it cause a problem?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using Windows 10 or 11? You might be better off using the Windows "Phone Link" companion app - it only works on Android, but it's great for sending text messages and sync photos :).

Just type in "phone" to the start menu and you should see it. If this is what you're already using, just scan the QR link code with your new phone and it should help you switch over.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back Ian, but I've tried that. The phone Link on my PC linked to my old Sony phone, so I went in and tried to add a device and I went through the process but nothing worked - I scanned the QR code on my new Samsung phone and nothing happened. Just seemed like a dead end!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you unlinked your old phone, the Sony? Go to Settings>Phone>Unlink this PC.

Once your old phone is unlinked then you should be able to link up to your new phone, the Samsung.

Ask a Question