Moving a Cluster to a new Domain

Mike Ritten

I am researching moving a cluster from one domain to
another. My assumption is to create a new service account
with the correct account privledges needed for a cluster
on the new domain, then move each node reassigning the
service account after doing so. Has Anyone tried this? Any
information would be appreciated.

David Adner

We may be trying this ourselves in the near future. I'm assuming the
same as you that as long as the service account is setup properly, it
should work. It's not like the cluster creates any special AD objects
or anything like that.

jxxx

Mike Ritten said:
I am researching moving a cluster from one domain to
another. My assumption is to create a new service account
with the correct account privledges needed for a cluster
on the new domain, then move each node reassigning the
service account after doing so. Has Anyone tried this? Any
information would be appreciated.

We successfully moved cluster which actually was a domain controller
to another domain where it became normal member server. It was just
needed to create new domain accounts with same priviledges to be used
in the cluster. We had no problems with this operation.

Good luck.

Kevin [MSFT]

It is possible to move a cluster to a new domain, but this will also depend on what resources you are running. Some resources have dependencies in place for the domain that the nodes are a
member of - i.e. Exchange. True, that it is possible to bring a DC down to a member server to move the cluster nodes, but you need to research any potential issues that you could run into with
your situation and then decide whether it will be wise to rebuild the cluster in the new domain rather than move it. See the following article. It's from NT 4.0, but a lot of the basic information
still apply to W2k.

269196 How to Move a Windows NT 4.0 Cluster Server from One Domain to Another
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269196

This message is provided as is and does not imply any warranty or gaurantee of support of any kind.

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (jxxx)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
| Subject: Re: Moving a Cluster to a new Domain
| Date: 18 Dec 2003 04:09:01 -0800
|
| > I am researching moving a cluster from one domain to
| > another. My assumption is to create a new service account
| > with the correct account privledges needed for a cluster
| > on the new domain, then move each node reassigning the
| > service account after doing so. Has Anyone tried this? Any
| > information would be appreciated.
|
| We successfully moved cluster which actually was a domain controller
| to another domain where it became normal member server. It was just
| needed to create new domain accounts with same priviledges to be used
| in the cluster. We had no problems with this operation.
|
| Good luck.

agieryic

I have done this with several Clusters and it works fine.
Even if you're moving from an NT domain to AD. Like you
mentioned, make sure you test each node's service account
first. If you're moving from an NT domain to AD, you
should use Microsoft's ADMT
Andreas