Move the client-side caching (CSC) folder to a new location

Bob

Hi,

I followed the procedure "How to move the client-side caching (CSC) folder
to a new location in Windows Vista" and I now think I'm having trouble with
my offline files as I notice Excel is failing to save documents that I
opened from my servers relocated documents location. I must save them as a
new document to get past the error.

With XP, the CSC mover tool required that the folder be "CSC" at the root of
another drive.

With the procedure mentioned above and found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942960 I do not see such a restriction. So
I created the following folder on my I-Drive "Windows\CSC" and then added
the registry key "CacheLocation" with the value "\??\I:\Windows\CSC".

This resulted in creating a sub-folder "I:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6".

I did it this way because the machine is a dual-boot and I already have the
XP CSC at "I:\CSC" and I didn't think this would work too well if I mixed
the XP and Vista caches.

So although the KB942960 did not say I couldn't use the path I did, I'm
wondering if this is the root of my synchronization problems?

And if it is the problem, what folder can I use? e.g. would "I:\CSC.V2"
work? Or maybe "I:\CSC2"?

Thanks,

Bob.

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Bob,

Thank you for posting here.

By design, it is expected that the subfolder "v2.0.6" is created under the
<redirected path>:\CSC folder. So, this behavior is normal and should not
be the root cause of the issue you experienced.

In order to identify the root cause of your Excel saving problem, would you
please first confirm with me the following information?

1. What is the extract error message you received?
2. Does this issue only occur to the Office application such as Word,
Excel? If we save file from Notepad to the same server share, does this
error still occur?

Based on my experience, if this problem just occurs to the Office
application, the most common cause is the WebClient service. You can
disable this service to test the issue again. To do so, please refer to the
steps below:

Disable WebClient service
-------------------------------
a. Click Start, type: services.msc in the Start Search bar an then press
Enter. Click Continue if it prompts.
b. In the list, double click on the "WebClient" service.
c. Stop the service and then set it to "Disable"

Reboot the machine and then test the issue again.

If anything is unclear in my post, please don't hesitate to let me know and
I will be glad to help.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Bob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Move the client-side caching (CSC) folder to a new location
| Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:02:49 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| Hi,
|
| I followed the procedure "How to move the client-side caching (CSC)
folder
| to a new location in Windows Vista" and I now think I'm having trouble
with
| my offline files as I notice Excel is failing to save documents that I
| opened from my servers relocated documents location. I must save them as
| new document to get past the error.
|
| With XP, the CSC mover tool required that the folder be "CSC" at the root
of
| another drive.
|
| With the procedure mentioned above and found here:
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942960 I do not see such a restriction.
So
| I created the following folder on my I-Drive "Windows\CSC" and then
added
| the registry key "CacheLocation" with the value "\??\I:\Windows\CSC".
|
| This resulted in creating a sub-folder "I:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6".
|
| I did it this way because the machine is a dual-boot and I already have
the
| XP CSC at "I:\CSC" and I didn't think this would work too well if I mixed
| the XP and Vista caches.
|
| So although the KB942960 did not say I couldn't use the path I did, I'm
| wondering if this is the root of my synchronization problems?
|
| And if it is the problem, what folder can I use? e.g. would "I:\CSC.V2"
| work? Or maybe "I:\CSC2"?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Bob.

Bob

Adams,

I no longer get Excel errors so I can't tell you exactly what it said. When
I looked up the error, it had something to do with not finding the network
drive and that is what led me to the CSC.

Anyway, the reason Excel is not failing any longer is because I no longer
have any offline cache! i.e. Excel is working directly with the netword
drive now.

So, it looks as though my offline cache is not working since the move from
the default to the new location.

But if I understand you correctly, you feel there is nothign wrong with my
new cache location on my "I" drive located at "I:\Windows\CSC\V2.0.6"

Thanks,

Bob.

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Bob,

Thank you for posting back.

Your understanding is correct, there is nothing wrong with the path
"I:\Windows\CSC\V2.0.6" of the redirected CSC folder.

I understand that you now open the Excel directly from the network drive
and the original error message no longer appears. Just for your further
reference, if the error message saying "not finding the network drive"
re-occurs in the future when saving files from Office application, we can
use the following two methods to give a try:

1. Cleanup the Offline cache. NOTE: For the detail steps, you can refer to
the steps in the KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=934160)
2. Temporarily disable the WebClient service. You can check my previous
post to get the detail steps.

Hope above information is helpful. If you need further assistance regarding
this problem, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Bob" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Move the client-side caching (CSC) folder to a new location
| Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:40:21 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
|
| Adams,
|
| I no longer get Excel errors so I can't tell you exactly what it said.
When
| I looked up the error, it had something to do with not finding the
network
| drive and that is what led me to the CSC.
|
| Anyway, the reason Excel is not failing any longer is because I no longer
| have any offline cache! i.e. Excel is working directly with the netword
| drive now.
|
| So, it looks as though my offline cache is not working since the move
from
| the default to the new location.
|
| But if I understand you correctly, you feel there is nothign wrong with
my
| new cache location on my "I" drive located at "I:\Windows\CSC\V2.0.6"
|
| Thanks,
|
| Bob.

Bob

Hi Adams,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to reinitialize my CSC twice and each time it fails to resolve
the problem.

When I display my offline files disk usage, it always displays "0 bytes in
use (1.93 GB available)".

I've a working Vista machine that displays 2.44 GB in use with this UserID.
That other machine however has its CSC in the default location. This
failing machine originally had offline cache in use also, but that all
changed after I moved it to the I-Drive.

If it helps, below is an export of the register entry (before the reboot).
After the reboot, the "FormatDatabse" entry is removed (which I guess is
normal, but the KB didn't say).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters]
"MigrationParameters"=dword:00000001
"CacheLocation"="\\??\\I:\\Windows\\CSC"
"FormatDatabase"=dword:00000001

I'm thinking the problem must be in how I moved my CSC. When I display the
CSC in the working machine, the security settings prevent me from seeing
beyond the path "C:\Windows\CSC". i.e. I'm not allowed to open the CSC
folder to see what it contains.

But with the failing machine, I can see the folder below CSC. i..e.
"I:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6" (meaning I am allowed to open the CSC folder, but I
can't open the "V2.0.6" folder.

Maybe my error was to create the path "I:\Windows\CSC" before I moved the
cache over to it? Maybe I should not have manually created it, but rather
let the registry key entry "CacheLocation"="\\??\\I:\\Windows\\CSC" have
done this for me?

p.s. I also notice that the working machine does not have the "Parameters"
key at all. I guess this is only in place for the cache move and
reinitialzing of the cache?

Thanks,

Bob.

Bob

Adams,

I found my local cache to be corrupt. The remote was okay however. After
deleting the local profile, the offline cache started to work. Thanks much
for your help!

Bob.

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

After checking your last post, I am glad to hear that the Offline Cache is
working now. I appreciate your efforts on this issue.

Per your questions, below are my answers:
1. Yes. The "FormatDatabse" will be removed itself after rebooting the
machine.
2. By default, the "Parameters" subkey does not exist and it is normally
added if we want to do some additional task (E.X: cleanup the CSC, or move
the CSC cache, etc).
3. The CSC folder is protected by the system and we are not allowed to open
the C:\Windows\CSC folder to see its contents by the default security
settings. If you want to open this folder, you need to take ownership of it
but it is not recommended.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu
MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS