Mouse Will Not Load in Safe Mode

B

Bill Jackson

I have an old Pentium 233 computer running WindowsXP with all updated Service Packs. The mouse for this computer is labeled "Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A Serial Compatible". My problem is that I have no mouse in Safe mode.

This mouse works fine as long as I am in regular mode. However, when I boot up in Safe mode, the mouse pointer just sits there frozen on the screen.

I bought a new serial mouse and plugged it into my computer, then booted up. This mouse did not even work in regular mode, so I took it back to CompUSA.

I am perplexed as to why a mouse will work perfectly in regular mode, but not in safe mode. It is as if the mouse drivers are not being loaded in Safe mode.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

J

Jerry

Where is the mouse plugged in - USB or PS2 or serial?

Does the BIOS have an option to select the mouse as USB or PS2 or serial?

My experience is that to see the mouse in Safe mode you may have to switch the port and re-set the BIOS accordingly.
I have an old Pentium 233 computer running WindowsXP with all updated Service Packs. The mouse for this computer is labeled "Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A Serial Compatible". My problem is that I have no mouse in Safe mode.

This mouse works fine as long as I am in regular mode. However, when I boot up in Safe mode, the mouse pointer just sits there frozen on the screen.

I bought a new serial mouse and plugged it into my computer, then booted up. This mouse did not even work in regular mode, so I took it back to CompUSA.

I am perplexed as to why a mouse will work perfectly in regular mode, but not in safe mode. It is as if the mouse drivers are not being loaded in Safe mode.

B

Bill Jackson

--
(e-mail address removed))
Jerry said:

There is no USB or Serial Port on this compter

There is no such option in the BIOS.
My experience is that to see the mouse in Safe mode you may have to switch the port and re-set the BIOS accordingly.

Just how do you do that.
In looking at the Peripheral Setup in my BIOS, I see the following:

OnBoard FDC: Auto;

OnBoard Serial Port 1: Auto;

OnBoard Serial Port 2: Auto:

Serial Port 2 Mode: Normal;

OnBoard Parallel Port : Auto;

Parallel Port Mode: SPP; and

OnBoard IDE : Both.

There is nothing in my BIOS specific to the mouse, or if there is, I don't see it.

Any other suggestions?

B

Bill Jackson

Correction. I meant to say there is no USB port. The mouse IS plugged in to the serial port.

--

--
Jerry said:

There is no USB or Serial Port on this compter

There is no such option in the BIOS.

Just how do you do that.
In looking at the Peripheral Setup in my BIOS, I see the following:

OnBoard FDC: Auto;

OnBoard Serial Port 1: Auto;

OnBoard Serial Port 2: Auto:

Serial Port 2 Mode: Normal;

OnBoard Parallel Port : Auto;

Parallel Port Mode: SPP; and

OnBoard IDE : Both.

There is nothing in my BIOS specific to the mouse, or if there is, I don't see it.

Any other suggestions?

Ask a Question