Mobile Phone Frequency

Reaction score
Hey,

I was looking at some phones to buy as I want one that's unlocked and can be used wherever I am in the world just by chucking in a local sim card. I was doing some reading on tri/quad band phones and I think I've worked out at a tri-band would be pretty much good enough for most of the countries in the world.

I was a bit confused though as apparently Japan don't use the frequencies that the rest of the world do. So what frequency do they use and what type of phone do you need to work in Japan?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Tri and Quad band refers to GSM frequencies, and as you say Japan doesnt use GSM for its mobile phone networks (nor does South Korea).

For Japan you can use a 3G phone, but you can also just rent or buy a pre-pay really cheaply from the many shops on every street and you can even get them from street corner vending machines.

I would suggest if you are going to Japan, then buy or rent a 3G phone (W-CDMA /UMTS they tend to call it in Japan) and then use your GSM sim to roam.

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply mate.

I thought most new phones had '3G' in them now. I think my old Sony Ericsson K800i had it, so I'm surprised that the newer Nokia 6303 I was thinking about doesn't.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
One note of caution regarding using 3G in Japan - make sure your GSM provider has a roaming agreement in place with a provider in Japan that uses W-CDMA/ UMTS....not all Japanese providers do.

Reaction score
Have you got the K800i too Trip? I really can't decide what phone to get!! It's so annoying! lol.

Reaction score
Yea it was given to me by my ex a couple years ago now. Been a cracking phone.
Never had a problem with it.

Think i'll be sticking with it for a while yet

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Yea it was given to me by my ex a couple years ago now. Been a cracking phone.
Never had a problem with it.

Think i'll be sticking with it for a while yet

Cracking phones they are. I got one a few years back, and it still works a treat. Decent lil camera on them to...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I had a k800i for a couple of years too - loved it! :)

Reaction score
I've still got my K800i, might try and find a new battery for it as it only lasts 30mins now! lol.

Any suggestions on places to buy new batteries?

Reaction score
bodhi said:
I've still got my K800i, might try and find a new battery for it as it only lasts 30mins now! lol.

Any suggestions on places to buy new batteries?

Hungry Jacks.......:p

Reaction score
Loads of places online mate. I use one place in particular but ive lost the book mark now :(

They range from £5.99 to about £18

Ask a Question