Windows XP Missing SYSTEM32 Directory

Reaction score
Hi experts,

Well - I have learnt the lesson of not having a proper B&R strategy. For whatever reason (that means I don't know how, when or why) our PC has decided to eat it's own testicles by devouring the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory...

PC Locked up totally. Hard reboot required. PC prompted to run chkdsk.

Long and short of it was a failed reboot as the hal.dll file was missing. But realistically the entire SYSTEM32 dir was missing. I have tried a system restore using the MS Recovery Console (no joy as I believe all restore points are contained in SYSTEM32 directory..?). I have used F8 and exited to DOS to have a poke around - and cannot locate anything that represents the contents of the SYSTEM32 directory. I suspected one of the kids had deleted it, or dragged it to somewhere new - but c:\Recycler contains nothing that relates to the date of the problem and even if it did - how could I restore what's in there back using the command interface? Don't even have the xcopy utility.......

Also, what I cannot understand (dinosaur brain) is why under "C:\Documents and Settings" is the Administrator User account missing? The Kids non-admin account is there. It's a conspiracy!

PC is a HP Pavillion a1210.uk with the OEM XP Home edition OS. I created the HP Recovery Disk when I bought the PC, and the recovery partition is intact. In fact, chkdsk found no errors, and diskpart shows the 2 partitions to be healthy. I'm happy the disk isn't toasted or corrupt - and that all my family pics and documents are on there - but like I cannot repair the build using the recovery partition or disk and nor can I find all our stuff to copy them off. I have since learnt that storing stuff under "My Documents" isn't the smartest move.......

So Questions I have:

1). I have the option to reformat and relaod the default factory settings. I'm reluctant to do so as I'm wondering if a 'Repair' install of XP Home may be good enough to allow me to get our files off? I'm lead to believe this won't work as it's an OEM build...

2). Is my data really lost? I don't believe (accept?!) it is as the disk is OK, but I just can't find it.

3). What options do I have available to me?

4). Can disks be 'cracked' to get what I want off? I really don't give a stuff about anything other than out family pics and documents.

5). Is it even possible to build a 2nd drive in the unit and somehow 'map' to the old one?!

Finally - if there's anyone out there who might be able to work some magic and fix the existing drive - there's a few bottles of vino or crates of beer in it!!

Sigh. Have placed a PO for Acronis 11 and WD 1Tb My Book this evening.....so anyone who points out the 'horse bolted gate' thing yes yes - i know!!:nod:

regards

DB

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the help - I will read that link in detail. I'll try anything to get myself out of the doo-doos I'm in right now. Last thing I'm gonna do right now is just accept it's a lost cause and reformat the disk....

Os I'll read those links - and see how I get on.

Many thanks!

DB

Reaction score
Hi,

The link - and subsequent links and articles about using Ubuntu - brilliant. There are some real sharp cookies out there. Much sharper than me because...

I've downloaded BitTorrent. I've downloaded MD5Sum. I've downloaded ubuntu-8.04.1.desktop-i386.iso.torrent (and later the iso itself). Even downloaded the ir045_unicode.exe to burn the image. Ran the checksum as directed - files compared OK. Wicked! Marvellous! I'm on a roll! Let's burn!

Errr. Nope. Not gonna happen. Reason....

.....poxy work laptop has a DVD-ROM drive only!!! BWAHHAHHAHHAHHHAAA!!!
:wall:

I nearly fell off my perch I laughed at myself so much! Just took it for granted that everything had a DVD burner nowdays.......

So next question. DVD Burner in pooped PC still works as I can read the (useless) HP Recovery CD. If I connect said laptop to pooped PC - can I somehow use the ir045 burn software to burn my iso image using the DVD burner in PC? Guess the trick will be in connecting two machines together and then getting laptop to see pc DVD drive.......

I'm of the opinion anything (almost) is possible nowadays so thought I'd ask the question :bow:

Cheers

Db

Reaction score
Easier find a friend that has a burner and go through the whole process again, or go to an internet shop or the like and burn it there..

Reaction score
Hi,

I guessed as much.......but - how about I connect my laptop with all the stuff I need already downloaded to a mates PC, and map a drive from the PC to C:\ drive of laptop? I can either transfer the data or just burn then?

If this is feasible - what is best method of connection? USB to USB? Ethernet to Ethernet? I don't care about speed of transfer, I just want to ensure the PC I use will be able to 'see' and map a drive to my laptop.

Cheers

DB

Reaction score
OK - over that hurdle.....now onto the next.

Got my Ubuntu Boot disk. Everything's fine. Popped in the drive on said knackered PC, following instructions on Link2 above. Ubuntu started loading - then exited with:

BusyBox 1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

I've trawled around the iternet, and found some stuff regarding this issue, especially my version (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso). But most issues seem to be people hitting this problem on an upgrade.

I tried replacing the quiet_splash with all_generic_ide and this didn't work

What now clever peeps? Try a lower/different version of ubuntu?

Cheers

DB

Reaction score
Hi,

OK - tried the Ubunto 7.04 iso instead - same issue essentially. CD boots nicely then exits to an initramfs prompt.

Have posted a thread on the Ubuntu forums.

*sigh* I had such high hopes! Still do - just need to understand why my PC won't boot an Ubuntu Live CD. Gotta be a hardware config or BIOS issue. I looked at the casper.log - loads of errors saying it could not mount /dev/hda2 /cdrom. But why!!

Cheers for the help

DB

Reaction score
When an image is mounted it is usually stored in RAM, some mounts use a combo of RAM and HD.
Not sure about Ubuntu but is it possible that your HD is failing (you can't manually delete system32 folder btw).
If Ubuntu needs some HD space to mount an image and it's failing this could be the reason for all your problems.
Other possibilities could be failing IDE/SATA/SCSI controller or faulty RAM.

Reaction score
JaLing said:
When an image is mounted it is usually stored in RAM, some mounts use a combo of RAM and HD.
Not sure about Ubuntu but is it possible that your HD is failing (you can't manually delete system32 folder btw).
If Ubuntu needs some HD space to mount an image and it's failing this could be the reason for all your problems.
Other possibilities could be failing IDE/SATA/SCSI controller or faulty RAM.

Well that's interesting - and helpfull. So questions abound as to how the SYSTEM32 directory could have eaten itself. Apart from a corruption that's not been detected by all the usual means

chkdsk found no HD errors (but I appreciate this isn't much use).

I am going to look at the failing RAM side of things. The Ubuntu CD has a check memory option and I have reason to think this may be yield something interesting......

......watch this space.

Cheers!

Dale

Reaction score
Looks like a few memory issues (sorry to post a link to another site - but I can't see a way to attach files here)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5569340#post5569340

I've whipped the two 512Mb cards out and no failures........

Gonna try booting the Live CD, see if we get any further :blush:)

DB

Nah - no joy. Still getting the initramfs 'error'.

Next step - take HD out and try booting the Live CD and my HD in another computer. Recon there's more hardware damage than just the RAM in my PC.....

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Forget Ubuntu.

Use Kanotix,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3464463.php

or SystemRescueCD,

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Both allow you to read and write to NFTS partitions so you will be able to rescue your data.

user.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Forget Ubuntu.

Use Kanotix,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3464463.php

or SystemRescueCD,

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Both allow you to read and write to NFTS partitions so you will be able to rescue your data.

user.gif

OK Abarbarian - Gonna give that a whirl. Nothing to lose! My new Seagate disk turned up today so I've got that to build up as well.

But first - to read those threads

Thanks!

Will post back soon.....

Regards

DB

P.S. Just for the sake of it my Ubuntu CD's are being checked tonight......

Reaction score
OK - I think I may have won the prize for "Plumb Of The Year". I'll let you decide.

The Ubunto .iso should be burnt as an image right? To a CD right? Perhaps I shouldn't have burnt to a DVD..........

Is this gonna be an issue? If so - why? My PC supports booting the recovery disk this way. I think burnt DVD's don't have all the necessary boot info?

Shame on me if this is the source of the problem.

Reaction score
Hi,

well same .iso files burnt to a CD have enabled me to load Ubuntu :D

Sadly - I'm no better off :confused:

A search of the entire disk yielded NONE of the files we had saved under the Admin account. In fact - the Admin account itself has vanished. Gone. Along with the SYSTEM32 dir. No sign of it anywhere. Only thing I can think of is a corrupt registry than made the only Admin account eat it's own gonads. Or Voodoo.

Very strange. Nearly 8000 .jpg files found - all of it junk and rubbish and nothing of any value to me.

Totally fed up, 'effin PC's!!!!!!

If the files had been deleted they'd have been in the recycler. So I'm still at a loss as to how/why they have completely vanished. Unless the recyclebin was emptied (along with the Admin account and all files!!)

Ah well. New Seagate hd is here, My Book 1Tb NAS and Acronis.

Lesson learnt!!!

Thanks to everyone for the help - it really is appreciated

DB

Ask a Question