    What can I do?
    All help is very much appreciated.
    fw_man

    Guest, Jan 28, 2006

  2. fw_man wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
    > do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
    > So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
    > WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
    > not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
    > files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
    > is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.
    >
    > What can I do?
    > All help is very much appreciated.
    > fw_man

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Jan 28, 2006

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:35:03 -0800, fw_man <> wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >I have a Toshiba LT with Win XP Home on it. I can't find its install disk. I
    >do however have Win XP Pro disk available.
    >So, I try to boot to hard drive and get the above error.
    >WHen I boot to CD (XP Pro), I do not press F6 (for 3rd party drivers), I do
    >not press F2 for ASR, so it proceeds to start windows. It copies a bunch of
    >files, under the screen Windows Setup, and then on the bottom it says "Setup
    >is starting Windows". But nothing happens at all after that. It just sits.
    >
    >What can I do?
    >All help is very much appreciated.
    >fw_man

    windows\system32\config\system\....missing or corrupt!

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822705

    Unk, Jan 28, 2006

    Bruce,
    The trouble is that I do not get to recovery console. I don't get Welcome to
    Setup screen. As I said in my original post, it gets to starting windows (on
    the bottom line) and hangs there. Any more suggestions are appreciated.
    fw_man

    Guest, Jan 29, 2006
  5. fw_man wrote:
    > Bruce,
    > The trouble is that I do not get to recovery console. I don't get Welcome to
    > Setup screen. As I said in my original post, it gets to starting windows (on
    > the bottom line) and hangs there. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

    Boot from the WinXP installation CD and use it to access the recovery
    console by pressing <R> when prompted.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: