    a lot of unnecessary components I found the missing thing was the
    printer spooler. Why do I need a printer spooler for dhcp? How can I
    reduce the footprint for this image?

    JojoS, Jun 4, 2009

  2. JojoS

    Mike Warren Guest

    JojoS wrote:

    > Why do I need a printer spooler for dhcp?

    This problem has frustrated me too. I found that the print spooler can
    be removed after FBA and DHCP client continues to work.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Jun 4, 2009

  3. JojoS

    JojoS Guest

    > This problem has frustrated me too. I found that the print spooler can
    > be removed after FBA and DHCP client continues to work.

    thanks, and it was your post that gave me the hint to add the print
    spooler. My hope was that WES has cleaned up dependencies, but not in
    this case :-(

    JojoS, Jun 4, 2009
  4. JojoS

    Dan Rogers Guest

    I have a similar sized image that includes core networking and a DHCP client
    and there is no print spooler in my configuration, either explicitly added
    or added by dependency checker. I have not used WES yet. Are you saying
    that WES is worse in this respect that XPe since WES needs the print spooler
    for the DHCP client to work?

    DR

    Dan Rogers, Jun 4, 2009
  5. JojoS

    Mike Warren Guest

    Dan Rogers wrote:

    > I have a similar sized image that includes core networking and a DHCP
    > client and there is no print spooler in my configuration, either
    > explicitly added or added by dependency checker.

    Are you using FP2007 or later?

    Is it possible for you to share either the SLD or build log so we can
    see what components you used?

    > I have not used WES
    > yet. Are you saying that WES is worse in this respect that XPe since
    > WES needs the print spooler for the DHCP client to work?

    That's the only way I could get DHCP client to work on XPe. I'm not
    using WES.

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Jun 4, 2009
  6. JojoS

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Mike,
    I am using FP2007. My usual target machines are blade computers in Compact
    PCI form factor. My application requires generic IP services and I use
    standard Berkeley-like API functions, e.g. socket(), send(), sendto(),
    recv(), recvfrom(), etc. So it made sense to me to include components such
    as "Basic TCP/IP Networking", "Core Networking" (so I could disable the
    Windows firewall), and "DHCP Client." Regardless of the target machine, TD
    can always resolve all dependencies but for some machines I find that the
    DHCP client does not get an IP address after deployment. After much wasted
    time I eventually discovered that this problem is resolved if I add "Client
    for Microsoft Networks" but that is not necessary for some of my targets.
    After re-checking I see that when I add "Client for Microsoft Networks" the
    dependency checker pulls in the "Print Spooler."

    I started a thread on this problem (under a different pseudonym) in August
    2007 and after review I see that you participated in that thread.
    Remarkably, one of the MS guys argued that it was sensible for all
    dependencies to be resolved in an image that includes the DHCP client but
    for the client not to be able to get an IP address! His position was that
    through some inspired insight I should have known that the "TCP/IP
    Networking with Client for Microsoft Networks" was needed. It was
    interesting to me that after a thorough MSDN search I could not even find a
    definition for "Microsoft Networks." Since I had assumed this included
    capabilities such as Network Neighborhood it never seemed appropriate or
    necessary for my application.

    By chance I needed to build for a new target yesterday and I decided to
    download and use the eval WES. For this target, a Shuttle xPC "shoebox"
    computer, I again found it necessary to add "Client for Microsoft Networks"
    in order to make the DHCP client behave.

    So in summary, for reasons unknown to me, sometimes the DHCP client does the
    right thing for me without "Client for Microsoft Networks" and without
    "Print Spooler" but in other cases it does not. If you are still interested
    in details of the former let me know through my email at yahoo.com. The
    user name spelled backwards is jnhblhr.

    DR

    Dan Rogers, Jun 5, 2009
  7. JojoS

    Dan Rogers Guest

    I have some information to add to my previous post. I had forgotten that
    the reason the DHCP client works for me in some cases is that one of my
    board vendors (Kontron) provided me with a component that eliminates the
    need for including "Client for Microsoft Networks" and several of its
    dependencies including "Print Spooler." The beautiful thing about this
    component is that it has a 0 byte footprint thus it saves several megabytes
    worth of baggage in the image. Today I used this component in an image for
    a completely different device (i.e. not Kontron) and it works fine.

    I will ask my contacts at Kontron if they approve of making this component
    generally available. If so, I will upload it to XpeFiles. It wouldn't be a
    bad idea for MS to look at this component and add something very similar to
    the product.

    It makes me wonder whether there are other simple methods of eliminating a
    lot of dead weight in XPe images. Although I haven't looked closely at this
    component, I think it consists of some registry entries, etc.

    Dan Rogers, Jun 5, 2009
  8. JojoS

    Mike Warren Guest

    Dan Rogers wrote:

    > I will ask my contacts at Kontron if they approve of making this
    > component generally available. If so, I will upload it to XpeFiles.

    It would be nice to see what they did and whether it can be adapted to
    more general use.

    I'm at the point (see my other post) where I contemplating going back to
    SP2 and losing all the benefits of the later updates just so I can
    build working images again. This is /very/ frustrating. I really miss
    Slobodan and Konstantin. :-(

    --
    - Mike

    Mike Warren, Jun 6, 2009