Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by JethroUK©, Apr 27, 2008.

  1. JethroUK©

    JethroUK© Guest

    I have desktop PC and only one monitor and I can't see why i need to run it
    *ever* and yet this task is in my scheduler programmed to run every time
    anyone logs on - and it's been running now for 17 hours continuous????

    Do i need this task to run?

    There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' unnecessary tasks being
    performed - e.g. 'mcupdate' checks for media centre updates (which i never
    use) - even if i did a check once per month would be sufficient - but this
    is scheduled to run every - single - day

    does this explain why i don't have enough processing power left to open an
    explorer window in under 20 seconds despite having 4 times the power of my
    ol XP machine?

    Are there any tasks known to be useless that i can disable? and hopefully
    speed up my machine

    JethroUK©, Apr 27, 2008

  2. JethroUK©

    Jon Guest

    "JethroUK©" <> wrote in message
    >I have desktop PC and only one monitor and I can't see why i need to run it
    >*ever* and yet this task is in my scheduler programmed to run every time
    >anyone logs on - and it's been running now for 17 hours continuous????
    >
    > Do i need this task to run?
    >
    > There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' unnecessary tasks being
    > performed - e.g. 'mcupdate' checks for media centre updates (which i never
    > use) - even if i did a check once per month would be sufficient - but this
    > is scheduled to run every - single - day
    >
    > does this explain why i don't have enough processing power left to open an
    > explorer window in under 20 seconds despite having 4 times the power of
    > my ol XP machine?
    >
    > Are there any tasks known to be useless that i can disable? and hopefully
    > speed up my machine

    You can disable the majority of the tasks in there, without any major
    issues. The subfolder in which they're located gives a good indication of
    which programs they're connected to. If you don't use multiple monitors or
    Media Center, then sure, disable them.

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Apr 27, 2008

  3. JethroUK©

    Frank Guest

    vishhiita prime wrote:
    >>There seems to be dozens of these 'apparently' >unnecessary tasks being
    >>performed - e.g. 'mcupdate'

    > In case you haven't noticed it you are using vista, the most bloated and
    > stupidly designed OS ever made.

    In your own opinion.

    > I have to spend 30-45 mins tweaking vista after a clean install in order
    > for it to work even slightly well..

    You mean you send 30-45 mins ruining Vista, seeing as how you're noted
    for your lack of computer skill and are an incompetent fool.

    > its crap total crap, a true pig with lipstick

    It sure has made a fool out of you hasn't it?...LOL!
    Frank

    Frank, Apr 27, 2008
  4. JethroUK©

    Frank Guest

    Clear Windows, the idiot moron loser wrote:

    --------------------------------
    Thanks for proving my point capin' crunch. Vista owns you and has made a
    complete and utter fool out of you!...LOL!
    Frank

    Frank, Apr 27, 2008
  5. JethroUK©

    Jon Guest

    "Clear Windows" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, can you give us a more detailed list of what we can disable and
    > why..
    > or do you know of some resource online?
    >
    > I have tried various configurations of these tasks.. but I would like to
    > compare with what other people are doing
    >
    > thanks

    I don't know of any definitive resource, but see if this MS link helps

    Description of the scheduled tasks in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939039

    AFAIK there are no major issues disabling any of those tasks, and by major
    issues I mean Vista not booting - not whether an automatic restore point is
    created or not, or whether a calendar reminder works You'll lose a bit of
    inbuilt functionality if you disable anything in there, but the question is
    how significant that piece of functionality is to you.

    In the early days of my using Vista, when I was testing out the new os, I
    ran it exclusively within a virtual machine. There speed was a, if not
    *the*, primary concern, and one area I experimented with was disabling
    nearly all of those tasks - without any major problems.

    For example being able to run DirectX applications within a virtual machine
    meant that I had little need of Media Center background tasks, BUT when
    using it normally installed on a machine I would keep the task the OP
    mentioned 'mcupdate' enabled, since it's a useful task that downloads the
    'guide' - which I often use and wouldn't want to do without. Tasks like
    defragmentation and System Restore I disable in favour of my own
    preconfigured tasks- and it's up to you if you want to help MS out with
    their next os via the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" or "Windows
    Error Reporting" - matter for individual choice, I suppose.

    So it would be difficult to give a "one-size-to-fit-all" answer, but
    perhaps that helps a bit.

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Apr 28, 2008