Microsoft to Release Security Essentials Today

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Finally, after a year-long development phase, Microsoft Security Essentials have been publicly released. If you can't wait to get your hands on Microsoft's latest security software, you don't need to wait any longer.

In June, a public-beta was offered, and the download limit was reached within 24 hours. It will be absolutely free for all users Windows XP, Vista and 7, both in 32bit and 64bit flavors — as long as you have genuine copy. Microsoft will not bundle it with Windows 7, though, when it's released on October 22nd, 2009.

"Consumers have told us that they want the protection of real-time security software but we know that too many are either unwilling or unable to pay for it, and so end up unprotected," said Amy Barzdukas, general manager for consumer security at Microsoft. "With Microsoft Security Essentials, consumers can get high-quality protection that is easy to get and easy to use – and it won't get in their way."

Keep an eye on the link below if your interested.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, I'm interested in what this is going to be like so I'll be installing it later on today. Although I guess we'll need to wait a few weeks at least for feedback on how good it is, as I'm pretty sure most users here will have clean PC's anyway. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ha , baet me to it V_R, just spotted this on the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8279109.stm

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ye i'm gonna stick with KIS/Eset. (Starting to favour the latter now!)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Am I right to assume that this MS Security is an alternative to Kaspersky, Avast, Antivir etc. and should not be used alongside them?

Reaction score
Hi V_R,

I'm afraid it's not available in this neck of the woods just yet....maybe october perhaps

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lies!!! It did that to me and i just reloaded tha tpage. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Downloaded and installed it now :) Just performing a scan to see if there are any nasties lurking ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've installed it on the GF's lappy last night, seems good so far.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Am I right to assume that this MS Security is an alternative to Kaspersky, Avast, Antivir etc. and should not be used alongside them?

(sorry to repeat this but I'd really like to know :blush: )

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
yep. :)

It replaces windows defender too i have read.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah nice, ill check out the gf's lappy. I'm still running KIS here, will decide what to go for after my subs run out.

Reaction score
I downloaded it a few months back and did a little trial which I posted on here..Can't quite remember what I had to say about it, might have to find the old thread...I installed it again yesterday and i'm quite liking it

Ask a Question