Microsoft ordered to stop collecting excessive data from Windows 10 users

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The Chair of the National Data Protection Commission (CNIL) in France has ordered Microsoft to stop collecting excessive data from Windows 10 users without their permission, including tracking their web browsing habits. Microsoft has 3 months to comply with the terms of the French Data Protection Act.

The Verge reports:

The CNIL says it decided to issue the notice due to the "seriousness of the breaches and the number of individuals concerned," saying there are more than 10 million Windows users in France. The CNIL found that Microsoft is collecting "excessive" data on Windows 10 users, including the specific apps they download and how much time they spend on each one. The organization added that the company uses cookies to serve personalized ads without properly informing users or allowing them to opt out, and that the four-character PIN system used to access Microsoft services is insecure, because there is no limit on the number of attempts a user can make.

You can read their full article here: France orders Microsoft to stop tracking Windows 10 users

Read the announcement from CNIL here: Windows 10: CNIL publicly serves formal notice to Microsoft Corporation to comply with the French Data Protection Act within three months

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have to say that I find the "snooping" aspect a huge turn-off. No, I'm not wearing my tin-foil helmet and suit as I sit here, ;) but, neither have I accepted the free Win 10 upgrades on either of our computers.

Perhaps if France is successful, other countries will follow suit.

Reaction score
Yes, good old Linux....
When things seem too good to be true, then it usually is exactly that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just a thought, as we are still members of the EEC should the French courts find against Microsoft will this have a bearing on the rest of the EEC members??

Ask a Question