Microsoft is the virus

L

linda w

I think I begin to understand.  Microsoft dominates the market because they rush their software to market with teenage programmers that only occasionally came from college.  They get the features out with no testing because the users all want to be "Beta" testers of the next version.  Most companies have to pay a tseting team to test their product -- MS skips testing and goes straight with alpha and beta products to market taht have no design review, no code review... nothing.  Then they hope for lots of security bugs
to hit market so they can supply bogus security patches that decrease system stability and speed --
gradually, so you will want to buy new compuer and when new version comes out it will appear so much
faster than their previous patched version that by now is patch so much it's running the equivalent
of VBcode for the entire OS. 

I made the stupid mistake of trying to do a 'sfc'.  I found out the regkey to point to where
XP was, then it wanted SP1.  Nothing worked.  Finally gave up and rebooted.  Lost all local network
shares -- can't see domain.  Claims the domainname has been removed (server hasn't changed) -- I
tried a system restore...BAHAHAHAHA....what a joke.  Anytime anything serious goes wrong it
doesn't work.  shure it can back out a simple reg patch, or driver install....but backl out system
file checker damage?....forget it.  Now I'm *way* hosed...everything is running slow as mud, can't
install network shares (even though I can' contact server via http, imap (only in mozilla, outlook is still
dead), ssh....yeah,
I havea  bad attitude --- I've sent nice letters, I sent nice bug reports, they always gett ignored.
They know what they are doing --  they want to force us to run Windows 2003 on home server.

So many of the software vendors are selling nothing *useful* -- they only exist to manage all the deficiencies
in the computers -- they don't do useful work that computers were intended to do -- like a word
processor, or publisher, or image work, .... seems like all the new latest programs are for managing
and protecting the computer -- and ***ALL**( that is waisted overhead.  Instead of a better
mouse trap -- better graphics, a 3D desk top, etc.  All we get are programs to manage the thing that is
supposed to simplify our lives.  More and more effort is going in every year to service the computer --
not the people in doing useful work -- but just work to manage the computers -- that's all overhead
due to deficiencies in the OS.  Defragmenters provide almosot no useful benefit on modern
file systems like XFS -- only in extreme real-time computer video modeling did 1 customer ask for
a way to get just a bit more .... but most people don't end up with defragmentation -- and what is
there is included free, installed and runs automatically, for free in the background.

Releases are put out regularly -- not 10 patches a week each killing moroe features and performance.

I'm very pissed, I can't afford to waste time debugging MS bugs that they refuse to fix anyway
unless I pay them to fix the broken code they sold me in the first place.  We need to push for
software warantees comparable to any other consumer product.  Why should software makers get
off scott free and be making Bill Gates the richest man in the world (depending on the day)?
Why doesn't he get a clue and open soure the OS so at least we can get some intelligent people looking at these problems.?  He's a saddist that enjoys watching people suffer..  He is a sick psycho thatt needs
professional help.  BTW....the fact that my computer is echoing keys about 10 keys behind my keystrokes has nothing to do with my irritation ....the fact that he promises big but can't, won't or refuses to
deliver -- what does he do instead?  He puts companies on a subscription plan so they have to pay even
when he doesn't release a bug fix version!  Brilliant...to get paid for doing nothing.

So software restore doesn't work.  I have MS virus files that since loaded have corrupted my
computer as bad or worse than the MSBLASTER virus....and MS claims no responsibility for their
damage.  We're gonna have to see how well their crap product warantee holds up in court...
OEM?  Waht's that?  My dog musta installed it.  (I keep telling them not to get on the keyboard...but
if a million monkey can develop Winxp, certainly a dog can press and OEM key.

Pissed (and needed more help than it seems anyone can give with my bright and refreshing attitude().

-l

-- Linda W. --- seems like the more I learn, the less I know. Email: if you wanted to send me email, then my return address would be like 'earthlink' was 'tlinx' and 'net' was 'org'

C

Chris Barber

I take it that for all your knowledge you don't have a usable backup or
drive image to restore from. I keep a monthly drive image now (especially
with XP where trying to remember where the licence key is might cause me
brain damage) after a brief brush with a failed power supply (something
internal) - seems that Sony wanted to wipe the HD as part of the repair
process at which I feigned a heart attack and managed to fool them into
agreeing not to take this drastic course of action.

It's also clear that you probably don't write software for a living.
Computers are excellent and screwing things up incredibly quickly from just
one line of bad code in about 20,000 lines. Think of it as a spelling
mistake ... have you ever written a 20,000 word email without making a
single spelling mistake?

Anyway, I'm not defending MS, some of the recent hotfixes and patches have
been laughable (and in some cases dangerous) but only in selected scenarios.

I feel bad that your PC is toast but SFC does work (although only if you let
XP do it's thing without interference - eg. trying to delete system folders
etc.) as does System Restore although neither are substitute for a working
valid drive image..

Now, to the help bit ...have you tried putting your XP CD in and doing a
'repair' install (you shouldn't lose and software or settings)? You will
have to re-install the service packs again though. I've done the repair
thing a few times in the last couple of years on various laptops and it
generally works.

Chris.

I think I begin to understand. Microsoft dominates the market because they
rush their software to market with teenage programmers that only
occasionally came from college. They get the features out with no testing
because the users all want to be "Beta" testers of the next version. Most
companies have to pay a tseting team to test their product -- MS skips
testing and goes straight with alpha and beta products to market taht have
no design review, no code review... nothing. Then they hope for lots of
security bugs
to hit market so they can supply bogus security patches that decrease system
stability and speed --
gradually, so you will want to buy new compuer and when new version comes
out it will appear so much
faster than their previous patched version that by now is patch so much it's
running the equivalent

I made the stupid mistake of trying to do a 'sfc'. I found out the regkey
to point to where
XP was, then it wanted SP1. Nothing worked. Finally gave up and rebooted.
Lost all local network
shares -- can't see domain. Claims the domainname has been removed (server
hasn't changed) -- I
tried a system restore...BAHAHAHAHA....what a joke. Anytime anything
serious goes wrong it
doesn't work. shure it can back out a simple reg patch, or driver
install....but backl out system
file checker damage?....forget it. Now I'm *way* hosed...everything is
running slow as mud, can't
install network shares (even though I can' contact server via http, imap
(only in mozilla, outlook is still
dead), ssh....yeah,
I havea bad attitude --- I've sent nice letters, I sent nice bug reports,
they always gett ignored.
They know what they are doing -- they want to force us to run Windows 2003
on home server.

So many of the software vendors are selling nothing *useful* -- they only
exist to manage all the deficiencies
in the computers -- they don't do useful work that computers were intended
to do -- like a word
processor, or publisher, or image work, .... seems like all the new latest
programs are for managing
and protecting the computer -- and ***ALL**( that is waisted overhead.
Instead of a better
mouse trap -- better graphics, a 3D desk top, etc. All we get are programs
to manage the thing that is
supposed to simplify our lives. More and more effort is going in every year
to service the computer --
not the people in doing useful work -- but just work to manage the
computers -- that's all overhead
due to deficiencies in the OS. Defragmenters provide almosot no useful
benefit on modern
file systems like XFS -- only in extreme real-time computer video modeling
did 1 customer ask for
a way to get just a bit more .... but most people don't end up with
defragmentation -- and what is
there is included free, installed and runs automatically, for free in the
background.

Releases are put out regularly -- not 10 patches a week each killing moroe
features and performance.

I'm very pissed, I can't afford to waste time debugging MS bugs that they
refuse to fix anyway
unless I pay them to fix the broken code they sold me in the first place.
We need to push for
software warantees comparable to any other consumer product. Why should
software makers get
off scott free and be making Bill Gates the richest man in the world
(depending on the day)?
Why doesn't he get a clue and open soure the OS so at least we can get some
intelligent people looking at these problems.? He's a saddist that enjoys
watching people suffer.. He is a sick psycho thatt needs
professional help. BTW....the fact that my computer is echoing keys about
10 keys behind my keystrokes has nothing to do with my irritation ...the
fact that he promises big but can't, won't or refuses to
deliver -- what does he do instead? He puts companies on a subscription
plan so they have to pay even
when he doesn't release a bug fix version! Brilliant...to get paid for
doing nothing.

So software restore doesn't work. I have MS virus files that since loaded
have corrupted my
computer as bad or worse than the MSBLASTER virus....and MS claims no
responsibility for their
damage. We're gonna have to see how well their crap product warantee holds
up in court...
OEM? Waht's that? My dog musta installed it. (I keep telling them not to
get on the keyboard...but
if a million monkey can develop Winxp, certainly a dog can press and OEM
key.

Pissed (and needed more help than it seems anyone can give with my bright
and refreshing attitude().

-l

D

David Herman \(507119\)

And you expect Microsoft and the MVP's to help you after this attack?... I think not.

--
David Herman
BetaID: 507119

I think I begin to understand. Microsoft dominates the market because they rush their software to market with teenage programmers that only occasionally came from college. They get the features out with no testing because the users all want to be "Beta" testers of the next version. Most companies have to pay a tseting team to test their product -- MS skips testing and goes straight with alpha and beta products to market taht have no design review, no code review... nothing. Then they hope for lots of security bugs
to hit market so they can supply bogus security patches that decrease system stability and speed --
gradually, so you will want to buy new compuer and when new version comes out it will appear so much
faster than their previous patched version that by now is patch so much it's running the equivalent

I made the stupid mistake of trying to do a 'sfc'. I found out the regkey to point to where
XP was, then it wanted SP1. Nothing worked. Finally gave up and rebooted. Lost all local network
shares -- can't see domain. Claims the domainname has been removed (server hasn't changed) -- I
tried a system restore...BAHAHAHAHA....what a joke. Anytime anything serious goes wrong it
doesn't work. shure it can back out a simple reg patch, or driver install....but backl out system
file checker damage?....forget it. Now I'm *way* hosed...everything is running slow as mud, can't
install network shares (even though I can' contact server via http, imap (only in mozilla, outlook is still
dead), ssh....yeah,
I havea bad attitude --- I've sent nice letters, I sent nice bug reports, they always gett ignored.
They know what they are doing -- they want to force us to run Windows 2003 on home server.

So many of the software vendors are selling nothing *useful* -- they only exist to manage all the deficiencies
in the computers -- they don't do useful work that computers were intended to do -- like a word
processor, or publisher, or image work, .... seems like all the new latest programs are for managing
and protecting the computer -- and ***ALL**( that is waisted overhead. Instead of a better
mouse trap -- better graphics, a 3D desk top, etc. All we get are programs to manage the thing that is
supposed to simplify our lives. More and more effort is going in every year to service the computer --
not the people in doing useful work -- but just work to manage the computers -- that's all overhead
due to deficiencies in the OS. Defragmenters provide almosot no useful benefit on modern
file systems like XFS -- only in extreme real-time computer video modeling did 1 customer ask for
a way to get just a bit more .... but most people don't end up with defragmentation -- and what is
there is included free, installed and runs automatically, for free in the background.

Releases are put out regularly -- not 10 patches a week each killing moroe features and performance.

I'm very pissed, I can't afford to waste time debugging MS bugs that they refuse to fix anyway
unless I pay them to fix the broken code they sold me in the first place. We need to push for
software warantees comparable to any other consumer product. Why should software makers get
off scott free and be making Bill Gates the richest man in the world (depending on the day)?
Why doesn't he get a clue and open soure the OS so at least we can get some intelligent people looking at these problems.? He's a saddist that enjoys watching people suffer.. He is a sick psycho thatt needs
professional help. BTW....the fact that my computer is echoing keys about 10 keys behind my keystrokes has nothing to do with my irritation ....the fact that he promises big but can't, won't or refuses to
deliver -- what does he do instead? He puts companies on a subscription plan so they have to pay even
when he doesn't release a bug fix version! Brilliant...to get paid for doing nothing.

So software restore doesn't work. I have MS virus files that since loaded have corrupted my
computer as bad or worse than the MSBLASTER virus....and MS claims no responsibility for their
damage. We're gonna have to see how well their crap product warantee holds up in court...
OEM? Waht's that? My dog musta installed it. (I keep telling them not to get on the keyboard...but

Pissed (and needed more help than it seems anyone can give with my bright and refreshing attitude().

-l

H

HawkFyre

David, isnt that why you are here? To help out those who have no clue whatsoever managing their OS?
Some of this just amazes me.the HELP section in the OS is ignored and then ppl rant and rave for someone to do the mindless stuff for them.
Also, for those who attack Microsoft I say this: if you can do better then why sont you send Bill Gates packing? Apparently Mr. Gates and his crew are the best at what they do or else they wouldnt be the dominant company in the industry.

just my 2 cents worth...
--- future MCSE ---
And you expect Microsoft and the MVP's to help you after this attack?... I think not.

--
David Herman

I think I begin to understand. Microsoft dominates the market because they rush their software to market with teenage programmers that only occasionally came from college. They get the features out with no testing because the users all want to be "Beta" testers of the next version. Most companies have to pay a tseting team to test their product -- MS skips testing and goes straight with alpha and beta products to market taht have no design review, no code review... nothing. Then they hope for lots of security bugs

I made the stupid mistake of trying to do a 'sfc'. I found out the regkey to point to where
XP was, then it wanted SP1. Nothing worked. Finally gave up and rebooted. Lost all local network
shares -- can't see domain. Claims the domainname has been removed (server hasn't changed) -- I
tried a system restore...BAHAHAHAHA....what a joke. Anytime anything serious goes wrong it
doesn't work. shure it can back out a simple reg patch, or driver install....but backl out system
file checker damage?....forget it. Now I'm *way* hosed...everything is running slow as mud, can't
dead), ssh....yeah,
I havea bad attitude --- I've sent nice letters, I sent nice bug reports, they always gett ignored.
They know what they are doing -- they want to force us to run Windows 2003 on home server.

and protecting the computer -- and ***ALL**( that is waisted overhead. Instead of a better
mouse trap -- better graphics, a 3D desk top, etc. All we get are programs to manage the thing that is
supposed to simplify our lives. More and more effort is going in every year to service the computer --
due to deficiencies in the OS. Defragmenters provide almosot no useful benefit on modern

unless I pay them to fix the broken code they sold me in the first place. We need to push for
software warantees comparable to any other consumer product. Why should software makers get
Why doesn't he get a clue and open soure the OS so at least we can get some intelligent people looking at these problems.? He's a saddist that enjoys watching people suffer.. He is a sick psycho thatt needs
professional help. BTW....the fact that my computer is echoing keys about 10 keys behind my keystrokes has nothing to do with my irritation ....the fact that he promises big but can't, won't or refuses to
deliver -- what does he do instead? He puts companies on a subscription plan so they have to pay even
when he doesn't release a bug fix version! Brilliant...to get paid for doing nothing.

So software restore doesn't work. I have MS virus files that since loaded have corrupted my
damage. We're gonna have to see how well their crap product warantee holds up in court...
OEM? Waht's that? My dog musta installed it. (I keep telling them not to get on the keyboard...but

-l

U

Unknown

It is suggested the original poster get an education; one especially designed to control his emotions and experience in program development..

--
David Herman

dead), ssh....yeah,

-l

D

David Herman \(507119\)

I'm all for helping people with problems, and as part of it you do take some stick at times from people. This is the second time though that you, Linda, have posted something like this. You need to be aware that most people have no problems with the updates. Usually any problems are caused by 3rd party software...

I apologise if I sounded ruthless, I just don't like the attitude of 'Microsoft is doing this to make me buy their latest software' approach. That's not right at all... there are people still using Windows 98 here!!

--
David Herman

It is suggested the original poster get an education; one especially designed to control his emotions and experience in program development..

--
David Herman

dead), ssh....yeah,

-l

D

Dave Douglas

As A first step, to you and those who answered your childish rant, stop
posting in html!

I think I begin to understand. Microsoft dominates the market because they
rush their software to market with teenage programmers that only
occasionally came from college. They get the features out with no testing
because the users all want to be "Beta" testers of the next version. Most
companies have to pay a tseting team to test their product -- MS skips
testing and goes straight with alpha and beta products to market taht have
no design review, no code review... nothing. Then they hope for lots of
security bugs
to hit market so they can supply bogus security patches that decrease system
stability and speed --
gradually, so you will want to buy new compuer and when new version comes
out it will appear so much
faster than their previous patched version that by now is patch so much it's
running the equivalent

I made the stupid mistake of trying to do a 'sfc'. I found out the regkey
to point to where
XP was, then it wanted SP1. Nothing worked. Finally gave up and rebooted.
Lost all local network
shares -- can't see domain. Claims the domainname has been removed (server
hasn't changed) -- I
tried a system restore...BAHAHAHAHA....what a joke. Anytime anything
serious goes wrong it
doesn't work. shure it can back out a simple reg patch, or driver
install....but backl out system
file checker damage?....forget it. Now I'm *way* hosed...everything is
running slow as mud, can't
install network shares (even though I can' contact server via http, imap
(only in mozilla, outlook is still
dead), ssh....yeah,
I havea bad attitude --- I've sent nice letters, I sent nice bug reports,
they always gett ignored.
They know what they are doing -- they want to force us to run Windows 2003
on home server.

So many of the software vendors are selling nothing *useful* -- they only
exist to manage all the deficiencies
in the computers -- they don't do useful work that computers were intended
to do -- like a word
processor, or publisher, or image work, .... seems like all the new latest
programs are for managing
and protecting the computer -- and ***ALL**( that is waisted overhead.
Instead of a better
mouse trap -- better graphics, a 3D desk top, etc. All we get are programs
to manage the thing that is
supposed to simplify our lives. More and more effort is going in every year
to service the computer --
not the people in doing useful work -- but just work to manage the
computers -- that's all overhead
due to deficiencies in the OS. Defragmenters provide almosot no useful
benefit on modern
file systems like XFS -- only in extreme real-time computer video modeling
did 1 customer ask for
a way to get just a bit more .... but most people don't end up with
defragmentation -- and what is
there is included free, installed and runs automatically, for free in the
background.

Releases are put out regularly -- not 10 patches a week each killing moroe
features and performance.

I'm very pissed, I can't afford to waste time debugging MS bugs that they
refuse to fix anyway
unless I pay them to fix the broken code they sold me in the first place.
We need to push for
software warantees comparable to any other consumer product. Why should
software makers get
off scott free and be making Bill Gates the richest man in the world
(depending on the day)?
Why doesn't he get a clue and open soure the OS so at least we can get some
intelligent people looking at these problems.? He's a saddist that enjoys
watching people suffer.. He is a sick psycho thatt needs
professional help. BTW....the fact that my computer is echoing keys about
10 keys behind my keystrokes has nothing to do with my irritation ...the
fact that he promises big but can't, won't or refuses to
deliver -- what does he do instead? He puts companies on a subscription