    Anyone face same problem?
    I'm using WinXP Prof (OEM) and OfficeXP 2003 (OEM)

    Excel will hang up after a few minutes of work.

    Andy Chan, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Hi Andy!

    The most likely cause is that a vital area of the system used by Excel
    is full of junk and needs clearing out.

    Close down and re-open the computer just to make sure that all
    installations are complete.

    Find and Select C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\local settings\temp

    They are left behind by installing programs but Excel needs the space.

    Try again with Excel.

    Bloated xlb File (A possibility but not previously noted with Office
    XP)

    Next is that with pre 2002 versions of Excel there is a tendency for
    the toolbar file to bloat in size and eventually this can cause
    crashes on opening. It is usually preceded by Excel being noticeably
    slower than before in opening and in performance generally. Generally
    this means deleting the bloated file.

    Next:

    Using Start > Search > For Files and folders

    Locate the Excel.xlb or Excel10.xlb file. If it is above around 30kb
    rename
    it Excelxlb.old and move it somewhere. If it's very large you probably
    won't
    be able to do much with it anyway. This is the toolbar file and Excel
    will
    create a new one for you.

    Now try again.

    --
    Regards
    Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

    Norman Harker, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Andy Chan

    Harlan Grove Guest

    "Norman Harker" <> wrote...
    >The most likely cause is that a vital area of the system used by Excel
    >is full of junk and needs clearing out.
    >
    >Close down and re-open the computer just to make sure that all
    >installations are complete.
    >
    >Find and Select C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\local settings\temp
    >
    >They are left behind by installing programs but Excel needs the space.

    Always a bad idea to install software under a user account or run Excel
    under an Administrator account. And always an especially bad idea to have
    any large & complex programs like Excel running when installing anything
    else.

    That, and it's amusing in a perverse way to believe that Excel needs an
    empty %TEMP% directory to work properly.

    Harlan Grove, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Andy Chan

    Andy Chan Guest

    Hi Norman,

    I've cleaned up any temp file, and in fact, it's a freshly installed
    PC.
    I tried reinstalling the office 2003, and I will reinstall the PC
    (format HDD and blank new installation). I should try to remove
    Excel.xlb or Excel10.xlb first, thanks for your help.

    Andy Chan, Jul 1, 2004