Micro Direct Disgrace

Reaction score
You do if its within 28 days/You gotta have it RMAed in time though within that 28 days and make sure u say you want a REFUND.

Ive got thru also yesterday after about 30 minutes waiting, im currently in talks with the Manager to get my RMA and refund.

Reaction score
Companies all have policies and cooling off peroids.

Microdirects is 28 days but its possible its changed to 7 days now...

So yeah if u got a faulty part or dont want it u can return it within that time 7 days or 28 days and get ya money back. After that it becomes manufacturers who have to fix it and send it back to you.

I still have not recieved my refund 1 year and 1 month and counting.....Will email manager and update.

Reaction score
Im having similiar problems

I had mae an order on wednestday 21st and paid for next day delivery its now monday 3rd oct still no order I have contacted via email and they did respond saying it was scanned by the driver and should have been delivered that day which was last tuesday no delivery, tried to fone them could'nt get through so i contactd Amtrak they aid i need my conignment number which i ont have so I emailed Microdirect again an 3 days later still no reply and now I am very annoed with th they had done similiar to me before like the first tie i had to wai 8 days for a standard 1-3 days delivery but i looked over that then next time i had to wait 7 days for a standard delivery. I eally think they should b pushing Amtrak to deliver oders to they're customers for which we have paid for.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Micro Direct - Terrible customer service

After recieving a faulty digital camera I returned it to Micro Direct with a covering letter containing ALL my contact details. After a few weeks of hearing nothing I called and was told it was sitting in the returns depot because nobody knew what to do with it because it didn't have a 'RME' number. After a few more calls I finally got an 'RME' number issued but heard no more from Micro Direct. I called again and was told it would be sent away to the supplier and would not be chased up for a further 28 days. As it had been in their dumwitted posession for over a month I was livid and asked to speak to a manager as I wanted it back for christmas. I was told to contact the manager by email. I did this and asked for a refund. No luck there either. No reply. I'm resent calling this company as it takes a good 10 mins to get through each time. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING OF DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY IS TO AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

Reaction score
Micro Direct - Steer Clear

I agree, this company is absolutely terrible!!!

I ordered a Multi Media Player from MD-direct and was really disappointed with the service. It was not clear on the site that this product was a refurb but this wasn't the main problem. The product did not work properly as the battery life was terrible, only running for 30 minutes as a MP3 player before using most of the battery. I returned the item and after testing and was told that there was nothing wrong with it. This is absolutely NOT true but as their testing department said there is no problem, I have been told that I cannot have a refund.

I emailed on 3 separate occasions regarding the problem with absolutely no response at all. Customer service is not their strong point! I called the customer service line and after a long delay was told there was nothing they could do. I wanted a refund, but this was not a possibility apparently. I would never buy another product from this company and would recommend that no one else does either.

I regularly buy from the internet and have never found another company to be as bad as this one! Stay clear!

Reaction score
Well I ordered several items from microdirect a Athlon X2 6000+ AM2 chip, ASUS Crosshair and 4gb DDR2 ram. Everything was ok until the mothboard seemed to be cause problems. I sent it back no problem, but it was older than 30 days and was automatically sent to the manufacturer. That was on 24th of October and I am still waiting for my motherboard. I have contacted MD many times asking where my mb is and most of the time the story changes. I have used MD before and didn't have any problems, but this has angered me so much that I am thinking of not buying from them again.

Reaction score
cpthooker said:
Well I ordered several items from microdirect a Athlon X2 6000+ AM2 chip, ASUS Crosshair and 4gb DDR2 ram. Everything was ok until the mothboard seemed to be cause problems. I sent it back no problem, but it was older than 30 days and was automatically sent to the manufacturer. That was on 24th of October and I am still waiting for my motherboard. I have contacted MD many times asking where my mb is and most of the time the story changes. I have used MD before and didn't have any problems, but this has angered me so much that I am thinking of not buying from them again.

some info on this company

True or false?

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/retailer/991/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes but I feel old stories being brought back upto the surface again

Their after sales service is very poor

Yes I have had a major run in with them before now and refused to deal with them. However I also have had major run 'ins with other massive online retailers aswell

If you have a bad experience learn from your mistake Send them a complaint mail and inform them you wont be using them again and will be informing other online users of the problems they undoubtedly seem to cause due to customer Aftersales negligence and dont shop with them again. After a while they will note a miassive drop in their sales figures and a shakeup will eventually take place at a cost to them not you :)

kog

Reaction score
I've been using MD for 4 years and have had a few glitches along the way. Mainly faulty components which I sent back and they returned.

However, in Novermenr 07 I placed an order for next day delivery and it did not arrive. No problem I thought, its close to christmas and they are probably busy. The goods did not arive the next day or on or the next day a week later they delivered but I'd already cancelled. I had a phone call from MD saying the good are with Amtark but by now I had reordered the goods and had them delivered, so I told MD, again, I no longer required the good and that I wanted a refund and was told "No problem". I'm not too concerened about all that, since its mainly out of their control once the goods are on the van.

But 7 days after asking for my refund I find it was not to be, so I phoned MD again and was told the goods are still with Amtrak and I could have them the next day, I refussed, I was assured the refund would be in my account in 3 working days. Again tt was not to be, so I phoned them again and was assured the refund would be in my account in 3 working days. On 20 December 07, I phoned MD and they told me the refund would be in my account in 3 working days. It was 2 January 2008 I phoned MD and was told the refund would be in my account by mid day, so I checked my account at 3:30 and nothing, its now friday and still nothing.

I can accept that mistakes happen in all companies and things go wrong, but staff telling lies is something I can't accept. I was assured again and again that my refund would be in my account and it wasn't.

I even sent them an email and this is what they said

Dear customer

You should be contacting accounts department as its there responsibility
to ensure all refund is issued accordingly, as I sent them the refund
request on the 30/11.

Accounts tel; 0870 44 22 223

I sincerely apologise for this episode.

Thank you for your email

Customer service

Well they lose about £2500 a year because I wont be shopping with them again

Last edited:
Reaction score
Microdirect - fresh evidence of how bad they are

They are the pits. I purchased a portable DVD player with a one year guarantee. Twice I sent it back for operational faults. The 1st time they refused to accept it had a fault. I sent it back a 2nd time when it stopped working more fundamentally. They couldn't repair or replace it. Under the various trade regulations, they are obliged to give you a full refund if they can't do this (even if u look on their site where they quote their policy on returns it's clear that they offer to replace or repair it in the first 12 months). I was offered a measly part refund, even though it hadn't worked from about 4 months. After hassling them for a long time, I was finally offered a full refund which I accepted (forgoing the two lots of £20 postage I had to incur to return it). However, I was never credited the money and they never replied to further mails. I sent two final mails, telling them that I'd post my complaint on-line if I was not compensated. I gave them a month and still they never bothered to reply. So, hopefully they'll lose the sales that they don't deserve to have because of my writing this.

Reaction score
My experience with MD

Below is a copy of the review I've left at ciao.

================
Long story short: ordered items, 3 damaged. returned 2 for replacement, 1 for refund. recieved replacements for all 3 (1 of which didn't work...). Replaced the non functional item via manufacturer. E-mailed them about replacement item instead of refund (lots of times...) and after much arsing around and much idiocy from a customer relations tit who failed to read anything in the 3 e-mails to which he replied (i sent more...) I was told the item was not covered under the warranty as it was damaged when returned. Bit odd this, as when they sent me the new item (which was a replacement, not the original) they included an invoice stating quite clearly **replaced under warranty**. Was told this was a "good will gesture". I confess to having giggled. Explained that I wanted a refund and wasn't going away and was told to return it. Again. So I returned the item a second time (using my funds again) and have now not recieved any responses to my e-mails.
I'll be sending another in about 5 minutes. After that, we're all off for a holiday in the small claims court. Thankfully, I saved all of the communication between myself and their asylu... I mean company, so I've got myself a decent case.

Summary: MD are dodgy as buggery. Leave well alone for ever and a day.
================

As an addendum to this, I just recieved an e-mail from someone at MD. They say they're going to process my refund. Let's see if it contains the cost of postage (from the second time I posted it as I no longer have the reciept for the first time) as is my right by law under the Distance Selling Regulations. There'll be more updates if it doesn't.

Best thing to do with these people if you've been shafted? Threaten legal action. It's the only time they've paid any attention to me.

*edit* Neglected to mention all this fun was over the course of 4 months. They're not the quickest at replies, though from what I read on Ciao I'm lucky to have recieved any response to my e-mails at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Microdirect - confirmation of tosser status!

Following on from Lordcrumb's experience of MD plus my experience..... I also was offered a full and final refund after I threatened legal action (tell us what happens to you). Refund never came and ignored all further mails. I threatened going online with my experience. Seems they aren't bothered at that either. That puts MD among the worst of the worst.

Reaction score
If I don't recieve anything within the next 7 days (the timeframe they quoted), I shall be contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau regarding legal action and the small claims court. I highly recommend you do the same.
If the refund DOES come, give me your RMA number and I'll send a message to the guy from whom I got my last e-mail. I've got nothing to lose by badgering them for you if I already have my money back... :D

Reaction score

here was one of the mails containing the RMA and the rest of their reply:
Dear L Errington, Re: RMA058440. Item: Mustek PL407 7" Widescreen Portable. We can confirm that the above item has been tested faulty; however, we regret to inform you that we do not have anymore in stock for a replacement. We will now give you a partial credit for the faulty item. The details have now been sent to our Accounts Department who will process the credit for you. If you wish to discuss any concerns you may have or require any further information, please contact our
Customer Service Department: (e-mail address removed) We at Micro Direct are
constantly striving to improve our returns facilities and welcome your suggestions. If you have any, please email them to (e-mail address removed) Thank you for your patience with this matter. Regards Returns Customer Support Micro Direct Ltd, UK
===========
Sounds good doesn't it? Probably similar to what u got. I haven't pursued it further because of time and amount (and I count myself as one of those who is never afraid of complaining when entitled). Thanks for the offer of help.

Reaction score
My e-mail was similar to yours regarding passing the case to their accounts department. We'll see if a refund is forthcoming.
Regarding your claim, what was the amount if you don't mind me asking?

A few things:

They've admitted to a fault, so you're entitled to a refund, not credit.
Partial credit? How'd they figure that one out?

I know what you're saying about leaving it as I've been tempted myself with some other incidents, but companies like this rely on a customer's inaction. MD are one of the worst for this that I've ever experienced.

Anybody here buy PCZone magazine? I stopped reading a while back but they used to have a watchdog section. Bitching about them on the net is all well and good, but having damning information on shop shelves does a little more harm. Not that I'm bitter about being made to wait for over 4 months...

Reaction score

They owed me about £25 I think, though in addition I had wasted two lots of £20 posting the DVD player back. They should have replaced it first time, but denied there was a fault. Of course, they have the written threat that if nothing is found faulty, you may be charged, which they uttered on returning it the first time.
I'm a pretty good consumer complainer and have had quite a few successes (and one or two defeats), but sometimes you sense that there are other battles more worth carrying on and in this case, I settled for a good rant at several prominent review sites. Yes, far too many people complain to their friends about faulty stuff/service and never do anything direct, which is maddening. If people don't complain, the places like Microdirect thrive.

Cheers

Reaction score
The threat of a charge if no fault is found was cancelled out when they admitted to a fault the second time around. They seem to have changed the terms of service a few times over the course of my arguement, so you could also argue that the original TOS didn't have such a clause. They'd probably be hard pressed to prove that it did.

If you've still got the postage reciepts, you're entitled to a refund on those too.

I wonder if trading standards is aware of this company? I may have a look into it.

Reaction score

I did keep at least one receipt, but one was from further back. In the end, if people keep on reporting them (which they have been on a few sites), they'll get what they deserve. I did point them to the bad reviews just to let them know and irritate them. In the end, I reckon I'll get some satisfaction in causing them more loss than it was worth.

Reaction score
Frightening as it may sound, I finally got my refund. Took 1/3 of a year mind, but still.

Moral? Keep on at them and threaten legal action. It seems to be the only time they listen.

Ask a Question