Mesh Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mesh Computers
Hi All :)
I work in the same Council Department as Trading Standards, but even with their advice from the day my system arrived, I have been unable to get a refund from Mesh for a PC costing £1229-45 which I ordered on 9th February 2005. I have suffered a four and a half month nightmare which was only ended by the excellence of my credit card company, The Cooperative Bank. A brief summary follows, it is similar to many other stories about Mesh posted on computer forums, so if you are after help and advice regarding your problems with Mesh then skip my boring rant and look at the info which follows.
 System delivered a day late, scratch on base unit and extremely noisy.
 Mesh Technical Support agreed system was too noisy and they promised Mesh Service Centre would ring me to discuss remedy and would repair scratch. I agreed, but reserved my rights under Distance Selling Regulations by letter.
 Mesh Service Centre did not ring me, returned system to me without any notice, as noisy as before with the scratch still there.
 Mesh Technical Support apologised and said they would rebuild the system so it would be fit for purpose this time.
 I declined and asked for my money back under Sale of Goods Act as system was not fit for purpose, but would have probably accepted lesser refund under Distance Selling Regulations just to have the matter settled quickly.
 Mesh Customer Service repeatedly refused to accept the return of the system and denied receiving my letter reserving my rights under Distance Selling Regulations, despite the fact I had received a reply to it from Mesh Technical Support.
 I paid for the return of system to Mesh on 19th May, they did not acknowledge receipt.
 The Cooperative Bank refunded me the £30-78 carriage cost.
 Mesh Customer Service wrote to me on 23rd June, over a month after receiving the system back, and despite Technical Support offering to rebuild the system to make it fit for purpose, Customer Service now said there was nothing wrong with it after all, refused a refund and insisted I arrange to have it redelivered. They also added, “If after 14 days no contact has been made we will commence invoicing you for storage costs as per our terms and conditions without any further notification”.
 The Cooperative Bank took the view I had suffered enough and was entitled to a refund and returned my £1229-45 to bring my four and a half month nightmare to an end.
 Long delays getting through on the telephone to Mesh meant I incurred a bill of over £20-00.
 No response from Mesh to any of the twelve emails I sent.
 No acknowledgement or response from Mesh to four of the letters I sent.
Conclusion
If you buy from Mesh, you may get a system you are happy with, but if they send you a bummer you are in for a nightmare with their Customer Service. If you are thinking of buying from Mesh, try ringing their Customer Service on 0870 046 8340 and see how long you have to wait to get through. You will have to ring that number over and over and over again if they send you a bummer. Also remember I had an entire Council Trading Standards staff just along the corridor from where I work to advise me from the day my system was delivered, but I still failed to get the refund I was entitled to under both The Sale of Goods Act and The Distance Selling Regulations.
Regards,
MeshVictim.

A Mesh Computer isn’t just for Christmas, it’s for Life ……. you may never get a refund !!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Mesh Help

Mesh Help
PLEASE CONFIRM WITH THE RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS BEFORE ACTING ON WHAT FOLLOWS WHICH IS JUST MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE CURRENT POSITION IN THE UK
1. Legislation.
There are three pieces of legislation relevant :-
(a) Distance Selling Regulations, this allows you to send goods back and obtain a refund for any reason within seven working days of delivery. The firm are allowed to charge for collection.
(b) Sale of Goods Act, this allows you to obtain a full refund if goods are not “fit for purpose”.
(c) Consumer Credit Act, this means, if the firm is disreputable and wrongly refuse to refund you, your credit card company may refund you and then they will recover the money from the firm.
2. Trading Standards.
Mesh are in the London Borough of Brent http://www.brent.gov.uk/ close to the border with Barnet http://www.barnet.gov.uk/business/trading_standards/index.php3 and the call centre for the London Boroughs Trading Standards is Consumer Direct London (CDL) on 08454 04 05 06 or 020 8359 2606, they will be able to :-
(a) Give you a quick explanation of the above three pieces of legislation and send you plain english pamphlets for reference.
(b) Send you letter templates to assist in having your problem rectified or obtaining a refund.
(c) Record your complaint to add to others already on file.
(d) Give you advice on how to proceed with your particular problem.
(e) Possibly arrange for Brent Trading Standards to take up your particular problem with Mesh.
(f) Further info http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ and www.consumerdirect.gov.uk
3. Credit Card Company.
(a) Let them know as soon as possible that you have a problem, although they are only really interested when you have asked for a refund.
(b) Provide them with evidence you have returned the goods.
(c) The firm are allowed 30 days after the return of the goods to refund your money, if they do not and do not dispute your entitlement to a refund then on Day 31 your Credit Card Company should refund you.
(d) If the firm does dispute your entitlement to a refund, then they have a further 45 days to prove why you are not entitled to a refund.
(e) It helps a lot if you have a good Credit Card Company, one which genuinely adheres to the principle of behaving ethically and fairly, like The Cooperative Bank.
4. County Court.
If all else fails you may have to use the Small Claims Procedure.
(a) You can find your local County Court from here http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/
(b) They will give you straightforward advice on procedure and send you a plain english pamphlet.
(c) You do not need to employ a solicitor.
5. General.
(a) Keep a diary of exactly what happens and when.
(b) Keep details of the agreed system specification, the order, all phone conversations, emails and letters.
(c) Send all important letters by Recorded Delivery.
(d) Consider tape recording all important phone conversations and inform the other party you are doing so.
Regards,
MeshVictim.

A Mesh Computer isn’t just for Christmas, it’s for Life ……. you may never get a refund !!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Mesh Action

Mesh Action
Action you can take to help solve the problems at Mesh.
1. During my discussions with Brent Trading Standards I was surprised at how few complaints they have received, so please make sure Brent Trading Standards and Barnet Trading Standards have the details of your complaint, and it would help if you included links to all the forum threads about Mesh Victims you know of in your email and letter.
(a) Phone:- 08454 04 05 06 or 020 8359 2606.
(b) Email :- (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed)
(c) Letter:- F.A.O. Mr. Charles Speed, Trading Standards, Brent Council, Town Hall, Forty Lane, Wembley, HA9 9HD and First Contact at Barnet, Hendon Town Hall, The Burroughs, Hendon, London, NW4 4BG.
2. Let your fellow computer buyers know about your problems by posting on forums like this one.
3. Let the computer magazine publishers know what can happen to Mesh customers, preferably by letter since they will all be inundated by emails :-
(a) CNET Networks UK Ltd, International House, 1 St. Katherines Way, London, E1W 1UN
(b) Dennis Publishing Ltd, 30 Cleveland Street, London, W1T 4JD
(c) VNU <No UK address found>
(d) Future Publishing Ltd., Beauford Court, 30 Monmouth Street, Bath, BA1 2BW
(e) Haymarket Magazines Ltd, 38-42 Hampton Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 OJE
(f) Live Publishing, Europa House, Adlington Park, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4NP, United Kingdom
Suggested email addresses :-
(a) (e-mail address removed)
(b) (e-mail address removed)
(c) (e-mail address removed)
(d) (e-mail address removed)
(e) (e-mail address removed)
(f) (e-mail address removed)
4. Let the computer magazine editors know what can happen to Mesh customers, preferably by letter since they will all be inundated by emails. You can obtain their contact details from this listing of UK computer magazines :-
http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/mags/corner.htm
Regards,
MeshVictim.

Reaction score
Mesh Complaints Trading Standards Officer.

Mesh Complaints Trading Standards Officer.
For those Mesh Victims who do not already know, I have just found out there is a Home Authority Officer at the London Borough of Brent Trading Standards who compiles all the complaints about Mesh Computers from victims wherever they live. I would urge all Mesh Victims, past and present, to spend just a few minutes and let her know of your bad experiences of Mesh so that fewer people in the future will have to suffer in the way we have suffered.
Her details are :-
Name: Ms. Paula Anderson.
Phone: 020 8937 5555 for Brent Trading Standards Reception who will put you through to her.
Email: (e-mail address removed) with “F.A.O. Ms. Paula Anderson Re: Mesh Computers” as the title of your message.
Letter: F.A.O. Ms. Paula Anderson Re: Mesh Computers, Brent Trading Standards, Quality House, 249 Willesden Lane, Willesden, London, NW2 5JH.
Finally, if you are quick off the mark and intending to phone, please wait until Monday 11th July when Ms. Anderson returns from holiday.
Regards,
MeshVictim.

Together we can make a difference.

Reaction score
Hi all MeshVictims!
Only problems I had with Mesh Computers was having the right drivers installed, which they didn't bother to do.
But that was easy to do, any manufacturer sending you a machine from its warehouse cannot have all software and drivers automatically updated inside the containers or warehouses...
This is a thing you have to do yourself, always check your components' websites, click support and follow instructions, whoever is the manufacturer.
Any time they had a delay for some reason they called me at home, without hiding their number.
So I could call them back and always been answered promptly.
Delay was 3 days (including the we, so 1 working day) and got all the stuff delivered with not hardware problem whatsoever.
But you have to check, even reinstall any sound video etc. software and drivers.
First thing to do: right-click on 'my computer', go to properties/hardware/device manager, and check all the drivers.
If some (most of all generally) are Microsoft, go to the support section of the relevant manufacturer and download the proper driver for optimal performance.
I don't think you are a Mesh victim, you would be the same victim from any brand.
Mesh, Alienware, Evesham, whoever are just hardware assemblers... they buy the cases you like (from china) they buy the components you want (if they are serious). They sell expensive hardware and cheap plastic boxes, ok.
But you have the best hardware, of course you would have the drivers that was in the box when it was in their warehouse, any upgrade would not fall magically out of the the blue into any box in any warehouse...
It is your responsibility to keep your firmware, drivers and software up to date, not theirs.
That's wat I am doing and I am very happy with this Meshine...
Make sure you are always updated.
Don't wait for Mesh to upgrade you automatically, they won't do it.
Check all your components and just upgrade them...
Legal action? Just buy some book like 'computing for dummies' or something like that.
It will cost you less less less.
Respects

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Research

Good boy Monkey,

You really have been doing your research! I know its public domain info, but unless you pay for online access to the records at Companies House I didn't think you could get at the info.

Just out of interest, are there any references to the other shareholders and directors? I ask this because I queried the name of the Managing Director with one of the Customer Service Advisors, and the only trace of the name I could find on the web for the name she gave me was a Czech footballer! I think someone was taking the mickey, and I dont really appreciate that when I was in the middle of bollocking them!

Any additional info would be good. Cheers.

Reaction score
No - just the two directors who between them hold all the shares.

The only names of any senior employees I have are:

Tony Riccardi, who appears on the web site described as General Manager; Mickey (Miodrag) Relic; Amit Patel. However the switchboard is obviously under instructions not to put customer calls through to any of them, so if you try calling, better prepare a cover story - say you're from Amtrak!

I'm sure you already know that, if you don't fancy paying 0870 charges, you can call the company on 020 8438 3330.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Thanks Monkey,

I was surprised about the shareholders, as I though the PLC reference suggested that shares had been publically listed (I suppose they could have bought them all up!).

Thanks for the direct number as well. I've got the Techies DDI, but I don't want to drag them into the equation - they are the only ones who have saved me from jumping on plane and turning up at their offices.

Like the cover story, but can't use Amtrak. I am battling with them as well for an explanation of why it took 13 days to get a parcel about 150 miles. I could have got it there quicker if I was walking ...... To compound the issue, the parcel in question was going to MESH !!!

I will let you know of there is any worthwhile progress, it may contain useful hints for other victims.

Cheers

Reaction score
No - although all MESH's advertising says MESH Computers PLC, the company is NOT a plc - since April 2005 MESH Computers has been a private limited company.

I raised this in a forum on HEXUS.net and had a nervous-sounding response from Nick Walter, the MESH marketing manager. This was followed by a hilarious online telling-off from Paul Dutton, one of the owners/administrators of HEXUS.net, a former MESH employee who is mates with Tony Riccardi, General Manager of... MESH Computers!

If you want to read the exchange, it's at:
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=53385

Don't waste time, because I reckon Paul will be pressured by MESH to wipe the posting pretty soon

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Nice one Monkey, managed to grab the HEXUS page to local disk, just in case they are "requested" to clean it up ....

Reaction score
MESH are not a PLC

IT WOULD CAUSE ALARM IF YOU WERE IN FACT ABOUT TO BUY< MESH ARE NOT A PLC AS THEY STATE.

This has been disolved and they are a LTD company thats all.

So trading as a PLC is against the law, if they are willing to do this, what regard do they have for your grand or how ever much you wish to spend with this SHAM>

I ended up with a mess when I did business with MESH.

Stay a way and just search for "more mess than mesh", quite a few problems.

Reaction score
Hi All Fellow MeshVictims !!!! :)
Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, especially those who have given it a five star rating. Very interesting posts indeed and I really enjoyed the Hexus link :) Just to add my bit regarding the status of Mesh, as you say they are no longer a PLC, just Mesh Computers Limited, Company No. 02157782. If this link works it will take you to the Companies House free info on Mesh :-

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/6399b3016384ee0dc29ed8628b0063a5//compdetails

If it doesn’t work you can search for the webpage from here :-

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/6399b3016384ee0dc29ed8628b0063a5//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

and if that doesn’t work you can start at <WebCHeck> <free company information> on this link :-

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk//index.shtml

I did report to Ms. Paula Anderson, the Mesh Home Authority Trading Standards Officer at Brent Borough Council, along with many other wrongdoings, that Mesh were still advertising as a PLC.
The other interesting piece of info about Mesh on The Companies House Website is that it says they have no branches. I think I am right in saying that Mesh used to have branches in Leeds and Edinburgh, so it appears that they must have closed these down.

Best Wishes to All Fellow MeshVictims.

Last edited:
Reaction score
designguru said:
Hi all MeshVictims!
Only problems I had with Mesh Computers was having the right drivers installed, which they didn't bother to do.
But that was easy to do, any manufacturer sending you a machine from its warehouse cannot have all software and drivers automatically updated inside the containers or warehouses...
This is a thing you have to do yourself, always check your components' websites, click support and follow instructions, whoever is the manufacturer.
Any time they had a delay for some reason they called me at home, without hiding their number.
So I could call them back and always been answered promptly.
Delay was 3 days (including the we, so 1 working day) and got all the stuff delivered with not hardware problem whatsoever.
But you have to check, even reinstall any sound video etc. software and drivers.
First thing to do: right-click on 'my computer', go to properties/hardware/device manager, and check all the drivers.
If some (most of all generally) are Microsoft, go to the support section of the relevant manufacturer and download the proper driver for optimal performance.
I don't think you are a Mesh victim, you would be the same victim from any brand.
Mesh, Alienware, Evesham, whoever are just hardware assemblers... they buy the cases you like (from china) they buy the components you want (if they are serious). They sell expensive hardware and cheap plastic boxes, ok.
But you have the best hardware, of course you would have the drivers that was in the box when it was in their warehouse, any upgrade would not fall magically out of the the blue into any box in any warehouse...
It is your responsibility to keep your firmware, drivers and software up to date, not theirs.
That's wat I am doing and I am very happy with this Meshine...
Make sure you are always updated.
Don't wait for Mesh to upgrade you automatically, they won't do it.
Check all your components and just upgrade them...
Legal action? Just buy some book like 'computing for dummies' or something like that.
It will cost you less less less.
Respects
You are so lucky Designguru, but a brand new system shouldnt need to be updated. Mesh is a trading company like any other, you wouldnt expect to buy a car and then have to overhaul the engine just to make it work would you? Its no different with PCs, TVs, windows whatever. You pay money and are entitled to receive goods that are fit for the job. Not all PC consumers are PC literate, so should they not buy a PC? Using the same analogy, if you're not a mechanic you shouldnt buy a car then I suppose.

I'm sure that Mesh arent the only ones, but they dont make it it any better for themselves with their appalling attitude to customers that have very kindly bothered to buy their products.
icon13.gif

Reaction score
Its MESH(or Mess)again

Have you ever thought "If only"
At this moment in time I certainly am wishing it. I purchased a Mesh PC 6 weeks ago. Delivery on trime, minor hardware fault , 1 call fixed, great! problem with pre-installed software please ring software helpline(£1 per min)
as software is not covered by warrenty! Have they not heard of customers statutory rights, apparently not. Despite numerous e-mails I have had no reply, next step as advised by Trading Standards is a recorded delivery letter quoting various pieces of customer protection legislation but I am not holding my breath. Then the finance company as PC was bought on interest free loan( Consumer Credit Act, unsatisfactory goods,).All this over some minor fault that they could probably sort out in 5 minutes over the phone or by e-mail. Perhaps one of the consumer programmes is the answer.
If Only
PS I will keep you posted.
David

MeshVictim said:
Mesh Computers
Hi All :)
I work in the same Council Department as Trading Standards, but even with their advice from the day my system arrived, I have been unable to get a refund from Mesh for a PC costing £1229-45 which I ordered on 9th February 2005. I have suffered a four and a half month nightmare which was only ended by the excellence of my credit card company, The Cooperative Bank. A brief summary follows, it is similar to many other stories about Mesh posted on computer forums, so if you are after help and advice regarding your problems with Mesh then skip my boring rant and look at the info which follows.
 System delivered a day late, scratch on base unit and extremely noisy.
 Mesh Technical Support agreed system was too noisy and they promised Mesh Service Centre would ring me to discuss remedy and would repair scratch. I agreed, but reserved my rights under Distance Selling Regulations by letter.
 Mesh Service Centre did not ring me, returned system to me without any notice, as noisy as before with the scratch still there.
 Mesh Technical Support apologised and said they would rebuild the system so it would be fit for purpose this time.
 I declined and asked for my money back under Sale of Goods Act as system was not fit for purpose, but would have probably accepted lesser refund under Distance Selling Regulations just to have the matter settled quickly.
 Mesh Customer Service repeatedly refused to accept the return of the system and denied receiving my letter reserving my rights under Distance Selling Regulations, despite the fact I had received a reply to it from Mesh Technical Support.
 I paid for the return of system to Mesh on 19th May, they did not acknowledge receipt.
 The Cooperative Bank refunded me the £30-78 carriage cost.
 Mesh Customer Service wrote to me on 23rd June, over a month after receiving the system back, and despite Technical Support offering to rebuild the system to make it fit for purpose, Customer Service now said there was nothing wrong with it after all, refused a refund and insisted I arrange to have it redelivered. They also added, “If after 14 days no contact has been made we will commence invoicing you for storage costs as per our terms and conditions without any further notification”.
 The Cooperative Bank took the view I had suffered enough and was entitled to a refund and returned my £1229-45 to bring my four and a half month nightmare to an end.
 Long delays getting through on the telephone to Mesh meant I incurred a bill of over £20-00.
 No response from Mesh to any of the twelve emails I sent.
 No acknowledgement or response from Mesh to four of the letters I sent.
Conclusion
If you buy from Mesh, you may get a system you are happy with, but if they send you a bummer you are in for a nightmare with their Customer Service. If you are thinking of buying from Mesh, try ringing their Customer Service on 0870 046 8340 and see how long you have to wait to get through. You will have to ring that number over and over and over again if they send you a bummer. Also remember I had an entire Council Trading Standards staff just along the corridor from where I work to advise me from the day my system was delivered, but I still failed to get the refund I was entitled to under both The Sale of Goods Act and The Distance Selling Regulations.
Regards,
MeshVictim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question