Mesh Networking in UK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been looking at setting up a mesh wifi network in our house, as the signal varies widely from room to room - and it's looking increasingly unlikely I can get a wired connection to my PC to the BT master socket (although I am still working on doing that).

It looks like Amplifi HD, Google WiFi, Plume and other mesh wifi kits are only available in the USA (although I have seen some Amplifi kit available in the UK, it doesn't appear to be Type G plugs).

Has anyone tried mesh networking kit yet? Orbi is the only one I can see widely available over here, but it's damn expensive!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got some of those already and they're pretty good, but they don't give the sort of speeds I'd like. I'm sure I'll just have to do a cable run, but it's really hard to get ladder access to that part of the house, so thought I'd check out all of the alternatives first :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, although it's much better than it was - but I'd ideally like to get a gigabit connection between two far away points. I know that wired can do this easily (and is preferable by a long way), but the outdoor cabling would be a real mess. I just wanted to see what else it out there before I tackle this (I've already got a reel of Cat6 and crimps ready to go, so I know what I'll likely need to do).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers @TriplexDread - went for some external rated Cat6 (UV protected too). Bought a 50m length as that should be plenty - I just need to figure out how the hell I'm going to route it. I've been knocking on walls all over the house trying to find out where voids are - I'm half tempted to follow the soil stack up to the roof, then come down at the other end.

Reaction score
Yeah well the cable is rated for external use so that's a good idea.
Use black cable ties to fix it with LONG ones ;)

I presume the stack is black aswell?

You'll need a lot as last thing you want it the cable knocking against the soil stack when its windy.
Waking you up at all hours lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant I'm tempted to follow the internal stack - it's boxed in and I think it may be possible to do a cable drop next to it - would save a lot of hassle if I can do it that way.

If I need to do it externally, there are some black gutters I can follow for part of the vertical run (I've got a huge tub of ties just in case :D).

Ask a Question