Excel Merging cells in Excel table

Reaction score
Hi, I want to merge cells in a table in Excel and help doesn't say how to in tables

Can anyone help? :( :confused: :wall:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Select the cells you want to merge, then under the Home tab click on the Merge & Centre dropdown box (it's in the Alignment section) and then select Merge Cells :)

Reaction score
Select the cells you want to merge, then under the Home tab click on the Merge & Centre dropdown box (it's in the Alignment section) and then select Merge Cells :)

Thanks but I have tried this and this option is not available for table cells

:wall: :confused: :(

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Is it a pivot table? If so, then no, you cannot merge cells as far as I am aware.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if it is formatted as a table then you cannot merge cells in the data range. If it is not necessary to have the table formatting, then you could convert it to a range instead - click somewhere inside the table, then select the Table tab from the ribbon. In the Tools group, select 'Convert to Range'. You will then be able to merge the cells.

Would that help or do you need to keep the table formatting?

Reaction score
How is a range different to a normal table - what formatting does it disable?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
A 'table' in Excel is sortable - it has drop down boxes at the top of each column allowing you to filter the data. Therefore if you were to merge cells together it wouldn't be able to to this, which is why it doesn't allow you to merge cells in a table.

A 'range' is just a group of data.

You can tell whether you have a table or a range by clicking inside the data and seeing if the 'Table Tools' tab appears on the ribbon.

Ask a Question